Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting in the summertime >

Quilting in the summertime

Quilting in the summertime

Old 06-29-2011, 08:09 AM

Coastal Texas is hot and humid for months...so I engage in my romance with the window AC unit in my sewing room. I arranged the room specifically to be in the path of that cool air! And right under the ceiling fan.

This morning I tried to hand finish the binding on a small table topper while in my comfy chair in the TV room...but with a small quilt and a small weiner dog nestled in it was just too dang hot!

Anita
Old 06-29-2011, 08:13 AM

I don't have time to quilt in the summertime. Too many baseball games (4 Grandsons playing) painting our outbuildings, mow lots of lawn, have 3 large flower gardens.I can quilt in the winter when it is cold outdoors.
I do, however, go the LQS once a week to chat w/ the other quilters and see what they are doing or see what they have made.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 AM

I don't have time to quilt in the summertime. Too many baseball games (4 Grandsons playing) painting our outbuildings, mow lots of lawn, have 3 large flower gardens.I can quilt in the winter when it is cold outdoors.
I do, however, go the LQS once a week to chat w/ the other quilters and see what they are doing or see what they have made.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 AM

I piece more..quilt less in summer. Also work in the garden.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 AM

I spent all last weekend sitting outside by the lake at our cabin quilting. I'm a hand quilter. It was wonderful!!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 AM

I am loving all the responses and where you live and weather conditions. ANd lots of members here have grands to go watch and help take care of, etc. ASk NP3 for one. That woman is so busy. Now I want to go out nad water my gardens and plants before I start quilting. Ging to watch out for those copperheads who are in abundance now looking for moisture. arghhhhhhhhhh. My MIL killed one in her yard day before and we have sent a few to heaven ourselves.LOL
Thanks for sharing everyone. Reading about different views from everyone is one of the good things about this board. Keep it coming. ♥♥
Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 AM

Better for me in the summer, actually. It's cool in my house all summer. We have ceiling fans + have the A/C set @80 and the house stays cool in this hot, humid climate. Sometimes in the winter, though, there are areas of this house that don't get warm enough and my hands get too cold, stiff, and sore to do any sewing. We can pretty much keep the furnace turned off in the winter and keep the wood burning stove going, but not much of that heat reaches my usual sewing areas.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:46 AM

I quilt ad crochet in the summer as well as the winter. I cannot get out in the heat so I am a year round person
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM
mim

I quilt on my deck in the summer. I have my feet on a stool and a small fan pointing under the quilt at my legs. I got the idea when I went to a Civil War re-enactment on a boiling hot July day. I asked a lady in long skirts how she looked so cool -- she tipped up the side of her skirt and said the breeze swirling around under it kept her cool.
Mim
Old 06-29-2011, 11:09 AM

hmmmm just like the post man or person that is......LOL
Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
Stop quilting in the summer????? Hot, cold, rain or shine......I'll quilt. Does that tell you that I am addicted to quilting. lol