Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quiltmaking chores I would cheerfully never do again..... >

Quiltmaking chores I would cheerfully never do again.....

Quiltmaking chores I would cheerfully never do again.....

Old 05-19-2016, 03:24 AM

Really dislike cutting whether it be quilt or garment related.....EVEN with the rotary cutter. Don't mind piecing either by machine or by hand, love hand quilting as well as binding. Don't dislike it per se but making the sandwich is really hard since it's difficult to get on the floor related to one bad knee and one knee replacement. Don't haveproblem deciding on a color...it's just that the "perfect" color that's bouncing around in my head is never one I can find in actuality when I go shopping!
Old 05-19-2016, 03:34 AM

Fiddling with tiny undersized pieces. l'm currently "using up" those tiny cut-off bonus triangles we get with the stitch& flip method of piecing. The only reason l saved these was because the fabric was SO expensive...next time, l'm tossing them into the "dog pillow stuffing" bin,lol!
Old 05-19-2016, 03:55 AM

I actually enjoy all the steps of quilt making. I don't have the space to make really big quilts or the strength to quilt them so I mostly stick to lap size. The very few large quilts I've made, I've farmed out to a LA, but I always get a thrill as I do the quilting on a sandwich and those three layers start to 'feel' like a quilt. I still remember the first time I made a quilt and how fascinated I was as the feel of the three layers started to change as I proceeded. To me, there's nothing else like it.
The things I don't enjoy, I just avoid. Like paper piecing or sewing hundreds of itty bitty squares together.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:58 AM

My most hateful job is sandwiching the quilt. I love to do everything else. I have recently ordered the Simply Sixteen with studio frame. No more sandwiching for me!
Old 05-19-2016, 04:04 AM

Hmm! I rather enjoy most of the process but anytime I go to sew on my machine I become Cruella DeVille and I end up with my back hurting. I am good to sew for a little while but mostly I sew by hand. I make binding on my machine, sometimes I piece my backing and of course I sew the binding on the quilt with the machine. All of those things are dreaded. I also don't like sandwiching but making smaller quilts and using quilt pins has helped. I bought what I thought would be a good table height wise for cutting and sandwiching but it wobbles and is not sturdy. I bought it from Joannes. I still use it but I feel like it could topple on me. I love the hand sewing and the hand quilting.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:14 AM

Don't care for sandwiching as I'm not experienced enough. Not too crazy about cutting either, always concerned if I measured correctly and would rather be sewing
Old 05-19-2016, 04:18 AM

As I usually FMQ my own quilts, it's sandwiching the quilt - the big ones especially I'm not fond of. But it hurts too much to pay to have it done when I can do it myself. Once I have it basted,I do enjoy the actual quilting. I also kind of like cleaning up my sewing room cause I know I have completed a quilt and can plan another one.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:37 AM

After a couple of years hiatus from quilting (couple of moves, one out of state), I decided to slow my process down and just try to enjoy it all. So, I have focused on:

1. How it feels to cut my fabric precisely (ok, not quite there, but am trying different tips which are bumping it up a notch). And I have actually enjoyed it for the most part, just slowing the process down.

2. While I do get bored when doing the same square endlessly, I have been also focused on improving my scant quarter inch. Love the feeling of zipping along a seam and seeing the end result of a straight, even seem. And I break it apart. My quilts are for me, so I don't have to be in a rush.

3. I will admit to finding borders boring, that is probably my least favorite part. Partly because I am apprehensive at that point on the "squareness" of my quilt (even though so far they have all turned out well in the end). But I hate measuring and getting 3 different measurements (all within 1/2 inch or less), even after squaring up!

4. I don't mind sandwiching, though the larger ones are a little more stressful as I struggle to find room to do them and have to push stuff around.

5. I don't like cutting a large piece of fabric apart for backing, but that is only because I haven't quite figured out how to do it and have a straight cut so I have a straight seam. Working on that one.

5. I look forward to the FMQ'ing. That's when it really starts becoming a quilt! On a larger one though, I do get glassy eye'd by the end. But I am looking forward to expanding beyond stippling.

6. I used to dread the binding, but the last binding I put on (using my new machine) - I used the integrated walking foot and it made such a difference! Fast, easy, accurate! I wasn't fighting with my binding edges.

7. I would say that squaring up my blocks (which I did for the first time on my last quilt) wasn't that much fun, and quite boring after about 200 of them. Also, I don't think I did it correctly, but I did it the same for all blocks. So actually looking forward to doing it correctly on the next one, think that will make a difference.

8. I love, love, love looking at fabrics and different patterns! I am not so good at picking fabrics, so am so very thankful for the wonderful ladies a the LQS who I end up turning to for help at some point. :-)
Old 05-19-2016, 04:53 AM

I think we were separated at birth! #2 and #4 I especially detest.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I've found there is a solution to change every chore I dislike doing. I think how can this be done so I don't have dread doing it and get the results I want. Sometimes it takes $ and sometimes it takes a little brain power.