Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
R.I.P. Rowenta >

R.I.P. Rowenta

R.I.P. Rowenta

Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I have been using a cheap black and decker as long as I can remember, most likely longer than 20 years now. I guess with the features and benefits of the high-priced irons come more things that can go wrong. Good luck with your next one!
I had one from Costco that was made in Germany and it bit the dust in about 8 months. However, I must say they took it back no questions asked and without a receipt. Love Costco! Hated that Rowenta!Sorry that was in reply to Neverenoughquilts comment about Rowentas made in German"

Last edited by Vanuatu Jill; 03-27-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Thanks for posting this - I was just getting ready to ask for recommendations myself as 2 Rowentas in less than 2 years have gone belly-up for me.

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew View Post
My beloved Rowenta died a miserable death today. RIP. It lasted 4 1/2 years. I would love to have another but the circumstances to which it passed leave me wondering if I should buy another. I plugged it in and sparks shot out of the area were the electrical cord enters the body. Yikes! I loved this iron because of the steam it provided. I cant afford the new Eliso so has anyone got good recommendations for a new iron?

Thanks

Cindy in TN
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 AM

I'd be happy to trade you 2 Rowentas for your Eliso!! LOL!!
Originally Posted by Dyan View Post
I have a rowenta and LOVE it, it get hot enough and with the steam I don't have to press fabric over and over to get the wrinkles out, I did just buy a Eliso on clearance at JoAnn's by my house is going out of business, I got it for about 39.00 I haven't plugged it in yet, because I love my Rowneta.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 AM

I've had 2 Rowenta's and will never have another one. The first one lost heat and the second one started leaking after about 6 mos-this seems to be a common problem I've heard from many on sewing groups. I now have a Reliable which is great even though it is heavy--I've used cheaper irons and have been quite happy with those. I've used the Eliso at the quilt shop and they are nice--if I bought another iron I'd like one of those.

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew View Post
My beloved Rowenta died a miserable death today. RIP. It lasted 4 1/2 years. I would love to have another but the circumstances to which it passed leave me wondering if I should buy another. I plugged it in and sparks shot out of the area were the electrical cord enters the body. Yikes! I loved this iron because of the steam it provided. I cant afford the new Eliso so has anyone got good recommendations for a new iron?

I've had 2 Rowenta's and will never have another one. The first one lost heat and the second one started leaking after about 6 mos-this seems to be a common problem I've heard from many on sewing groups. I now have a Reliable which is great even though it is heavy--I've used cheaper irons and have been quite happy with those. I've used the Eliso at the quilt shop and they are nice--if I bought another iron I'd like one of those.

Thanks

Cindy in TN
Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 AM

Sorry--I messed up on this post. Marlene C--Alaska
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 AM

I have the Shark Professional. It was $40 at either Target or Walmart. Designed with steam in mind so it has a larger reservoir and the steam really shoots out if you want it to. I've had mine almost a year now and still going strong.... unlike my $100 Rowenta's I've bought in the past.

I also like the weight of the Shark too. Nice heavier weight (like the Rowenta) so I don't have to press down hard to get those pesky wrinkles out.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 AM

Sorry your Rowenta died. I have one I love but it started to loosing water. My Hubby bought me a Eliso 1600 for my B-day (it was on sale) but it had a rattle so I took it back. In April around the 12th the girl at my local JoAnnes will be having a sale on the Eliso 1800, I just picked up one of them I had a coupon and the young lady gave me a good price because of me having to return the other one. Still a high price for me but I have to remember it is a B-day gift from my hubby ;~) I have read when you are getting a new Iron make sure it is made in Germany, A lot of Irons are made in china and other places and the have a lot of the problems that all of us have been having.

Last edited by yippie; 03-27-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 AM

My guild had an iron discussion not long ago. Seems half the members have had a leaky Rowenta. I bought one in Costco last year, and only use it occasionally, and it hasn't started leaking yet, but it seems I'm always filling it with water, no matter the steam setting. I have an old Sunbeam I got at Costco many years ago for $20, and it's still going strong. It's not as hot as the Rowenta, but does just fine unless I have really stubborn wrinkles in my fabric, then I pull out the Rowenta. I also have a Panasonic iron which is cordless and comes with a cover which turns the charger into a case, and that is really great for taking to sewing days. However, it doesn't get as hot as the Rowenta either, but I still like it a lot. The Panasonic cost around $70 on Amazon. Oliso's are nice and hot, but expensive and you have to remember not to tilt it up like a regular iron. A friend who brought one to a guild sewing day says hers is now acting up, and she thinks it's because others left it standing upright out of habit with others. The matriarch of the guild considers irons disposable, so she only buys inexpensive ones (like my Sunbeam). I think she may have something there. But be sure you unplug them all when away from your sewing room. A friend had one that was switched off but started smoking because it was still plugged in!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
My sunbeam is just starting to sputter and isn't getting hot enough anymore, but it lasted over 20 years...over 3 years quilting. I've spent the last 2 days looking at iron reviews, and am now more confused than ever.
It IS CONFUSING, I agree wholeheartedly!!!!

I think for me that it's a hit or miss thing with irons. I've owned 3 Rowenta's. First one was a sturdy-long-lived-no-leaking. The second Rowenta leaked despite following manufacturers explicit instructions within 6 months. Rowenta replaced that one and the second one started leaking within about 6 months too. I was not a heavy user of the iron at that time. It is now relegated to dry ironing only.

What did I buy for steam? An inexpensive Shark Professional @ Walmart. I now am a heavy user in the quilt room and the Shark Professional, after a year or so of heavy use is hanging in there.

Iron's along with toasters have never, for me, been reliable in my 45 years of marriage, so I've always called both of these appliances disposable like someone else mentioned here! :0(

I have my lights on my sewing center, along with the iron plugged into a power strip. I've 'trained' myself that if the lights are on when I leave the sewing room that indicates the iron is still on so I turn off the power strip killing the lights and iron.

SINGERBABE'S comment about an iron still burning up because it was still plugged in, even though it was switched off....is troubling. I will ask my electrician hubby if I need to be worried that the iron is still capable of self igniting even if the power strip is turned off!

Last edited by onaemtnest; 03-27-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 AM

I'm using the same GE iron that I got 41 years ago as a shower gift. Yup, you read that right. This thing is nice and heavy, I've cleaned it maybe 6 times over the years with vinegar and it still steams just fine.

95% of the reviews of Rowenta's that I've read are bad. It's a mystery to me why anyone buys them anymore since they are known to leak.