Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!! >

Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!!

Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 PM

I just made one out of old jeans on one side and flannel on the other and got paid $200.00 for a friend that wanted her jean done out of them.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:42 PM

The quilts I have seen on this post are ALL wonderful!!!! (Bear with me as I learn names; Im slow. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Glad to know "Nobody" lives in others' homes as well..... He must have multiple twins. LOL!

Bought my proper thread while I was out today, so will be back at it tomorrow and HOPEFULLY can have it finished soon.

This week I will be working on a costume for my dog and 8 yr old daughter to wear in the costume contest for our towns Johnny Appleseed festival/parade <3 being held this weekend....

WTheck was I thinking?? LOL
Old 09-10-2012, 02:18 PM

I've never seen anything like this Santa rag quilt..What a talent you are!!! You are inspirational,...
Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

The 'wire' thread may be hand quilting thread. It has a glaze on it that makes it very stiff and not good for you sewing machine.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

The Santa quilt is one of many rag design quilt patterns by Karla Alexander. She has a snowman, Christmas Tree and others on her website.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 PM

Arheath..That rag quilt is beautiful, and so different...I would love to see the back..Did you use denim or ?. You mentioned you did not use batting. What size? It's looks big...thanks for posting pic...
Old 09-10-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by StaceySewsSorta View Post
Ok, first off (as I mentioned in my Intro post) I dont "quilt". (The pretty, all-over sewing.) So when this rag quilt tutorial I found online said "quilt as you go", I was all

AND, they said it could be made in a day!! Sweet!

Yeah. Well.... It took 4 days JUST to get all my fabric squares cut! Another day to assemble my front-batting-backing "sandwiches", and I am STILL trying to get all my squares quilted so they can FINALLY be assembled!

With school starting for my kids, I got sidetracked and let the quilt sit, but I would REALLY like to GIT ER DONE!!!! LOL!!

I went with patriotic colors (NO Patriotic PRINTS.... keep reading) but with a rustic twist.... Its almost ALL florals and other prints that evoke "old fashioned" or "pioneer" times prints/fabrics.... and there is NO WHITE fabric at all.

The top is all reds, maroons, creams, browns, and blues of varying shades. The back is plain neutral muslin, as well as other cream, tan, ecru, brown, etc squares.

I have ZERO intention of making a "pattern". I like the idea of throwing these squares together hap-hazardly.

But I fubarred. (I think) The "quilt as you go" part is what made me want to try it....
SO as I started quilting my sandwiches together, I alternated each stack (one stack=one row) with square quilting and X quilting... figuring on doing "every other row" on the finished quilt with little quilted squares and X's. I have not finished all my sandwiches, and Im second guessing my "every other" plan.

What is your experience with rag quilts?? May I see some pictures to refer to?

(Oh, and the other thing that sold me on this kind of quilt? No mitering corners! YAY!!!!) LOL!
Word Of WARNNING!! I've made 4 rag Quilts, made a Cute Sock Monkey one BUT the RED fabric BLEED After the 6th WASHING!!! Runed the Whole Quilt!!! IF your Smart YOU should WASH the RED fabrics ONE time with 'Retayne' to set the dyes. I know your not spose to wash for a Rag quilt but for the reds I wish I HAD!!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Noted, thank you!

Ok, so have any of you made a rag quilt like I am? (normal cotton prints and homespuns, batting, muslin) ????

I see most of you use flannel and denim with no batting.

Think it may "mess up" my quilt? Be honest. LOL
Old 09-10-2012, 02:48 PM

I have made 3 rag quilts so far. They are easy but I've never finished one in a day! I made one for my oldest son out of old jeans; did not use a batting. Lined the back with fleece. It is really heavy, could almost use it in the Alaskan wildnerness!! He loves it. As he goes camping a lot. I put pockets from the jeans on several of the squares. Made my squares 10 inches and took 3/4" seams.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Just make sure you X or something all the squares....forgot a few...now using a 5" needle to square up the batting...since it usually is not stitch in while sewing together...but on a few I had to rip out stitching to get the finger in there to straighten...much fun resewing them back...breathe .. it will work..just not fast...