Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!! >

Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!!

Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Keep doing them - they get easier. However, piecing quilts is even easier.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 PM

thats a wow. i like this christmas quilt
Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 PM

I find that if I sew two rows together and then snip, the snipping doesn't seem to be such a big job! (Always done in front of the TV.)
Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 PM

I've only made one lap quilt in the raggedy manner. I used denim for the front and flannel for the back. When I finished, I threw it in the washing machine to make the edges fluff up. Big mistake! The ravelings stopped up the pump on the washer. It cost me $108.00 to get it repaired. That was several years ago, so I'm sure it would be much more now.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:49 PM

Going to be gorgeous!!! Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I've made a lot of them. The last one I finished a few weeks ago was a little time consuming as it had certain pieced blocks. I can make regular 8" squares rag quilt in a day if I use the rag die (Accuquilt Go) I won't make a rag quilt without the real rag snips. I use these.
This is way to cute,
Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Betty Ruth View Post
I've only made one lap quilt in the raggedy manner. I used denim for the front and flannel for the back. When I finished, I threw it in the washing machine to make the edges fluff up. Big mistake! The ravelings stopped up the pump on the washer. It cost me $108.00 to get it repaired. That was several years ago, so I'm sure it would be much more now.
I wash my rag quilts at home, but I used a strainer to scoop out as much of the threads as possible, several times before the rinse cycle. I get a lot of threads out this way. Of course I have a top loading machine, this would not be possible in a front loader.

If we were on septic, I would be even more diligent on scooping out the threads out.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 PM

My first quilt was a rag quilt for my nephews new baby. I will probably never do another one! It was flannel, I put batting in the middle and it was so heavy and thick!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 PM

I find Rag Quilts so thrifty and warm. I sew them exclusively over others now as I don't need batting. Here are some of mine used as an Avatar on the left and some below.

Warning: My photos are not a small size as I don't know how to resize them. But it should be able to give you some idea of how fluffy and nice the 1" seams & the other colors besides the top ones I used on these quilt-y blankets.
Attached Thumbnails black-strippy-rag-qulit.jpg   4-square-rag-quiltlet-single-square-up-close.jpg   4-square-demin-flannel-rag-quiltet-detail.jpg  
Old 09-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Power Poster

Love these beautiful rag quilts.....one thing I learned when I made a "raggy wagga" (Aussie version of rag quilt). That is: stick to simple quilting i.e. all x's or hearts or whatever....the more complex your design the more the three layers shrink up....I did some x's and went nuts with spirals on some of my other squares...then you either have to trim some or cope with some mismatched seams...Like everyone....I learn more as I go. Your fabrics look terrific...look forward to seeing your quilt.