Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!! >

Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!!

Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:00 AM

I have made several rag quilts and tote bags. At first I did use batting, cut smaller than the squares. The problem I had was getting everything squared perfectly so the batting did not show in the seams. I started using flannel and find that very easy, good weight to the quilt and great for that raggy seam. If you want you can use more than one layer of flannel. That way all the squares are the same size. It is easy and works for me. I do the X stitching on each block, but it probably would not be necessary. Just watch the flannel you purchase. Some of it is sort of thin and flimsy, but other flannel is thick and ravels really well. You can also add another color in those center layers of flannel that add an interesting touch.

Christine
Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 AM

I mad a rag Q for my granddaughter. She loves frogs. It was my first one. I just cut the fabric with rotary cutter and ruler. She loves frogs so I emb. frogs on some of the blocks. The colors are not as bright as they show in the picture. I used flannel, 3 layers. She lovesssss it.
Happy sewing
Pat
Attached Thumbnails 100_0911.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 AM

I love your colors, please post when you are done. I love making rag quilts and playing with with different designs. The ones I have done with cotton quilting material do not seem to fringe as well as the flannels one do. Also, flannel seems to shed more than the other material. I am always on the look out for scraps of flannel and flannel sheets when I am out shopping garage sales and thrift stores. Some mens flannel shirts are very heavy and good for piecing. I have done them with batting and without batting and u8sually always use flannel on the back. Just finished a baby quilt where I only ragged the edges. I have made so far all baby and young children quilts but did make a twin size for on of my DGS for graduation. I have some large ones cut out and ready to work on for Christmas for my 11 G-kids. I have also tied the quilt and fringed the edges. Can't you tell I really enjoy making them--I am a newbie and this was one way to get myself started with quilting since I could use material that I found at thrift stores and garage sales. The one I am working on now is actually a wall hanging and I redesigned it into a rag baby quilt. I am a leftie and I found the fringing shears hard to work with, so I use my cutting shears. Do you have an Accuquilt? The have a template with the fringing already cut. I asked Santa for one because it sure would making my life easier! Enjoy--I was overwhelmed with my first one! Kathy
Old 09-11-2012, 11:04 AM

The colors are wonderful. I have been putting together rag quilts but out of my scraps. I have yet to get a quilt in a day done in a weekend or less so don't feel bad. I look forward to seeing the finished project.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM

Way back when the American Dolls were the rage, I made a rag doll quilt for DGD and it was adorable. Unfortunate these poor old hands couldn't deal with all that cutting to make the fringed edges. They are cute and I thought there easy but can't do them any more.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 AM

OMG, LOVE the frog qulit! <3 My 4 year old is and always has been obsessed with frogs.... even loving the little tree frog that climbed up her face!!!!!!!!!!! <3
Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 AM

There are a lot of pictures posted on the QB for rag quilts. Just use the search area to the right of help at the top of the screen. The only way to do a rag quilt in a day is to do a small one, LOL. I like Tashana's idea of practicing FMG on the squares. Great idea and much more creative than a simple X.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:48 AM

Here is a sneak peek... lots going on here, so this quilt is reeeealllly taking a while. LOL
WARNING: NOT RESIZED. Just so ya know!

The finished quilt will be 16x19 (4 inch squares - after 1/2 inch seams) The squares are completely random, as I have them all in a box and Im pulling them out without looking. The control-freak side of me STILL is not ok with this, but I like it so far..... LOL!
There is NO white fabric in this quilt at all, I was going for the "rustic" Americana color-scheme and I love it <3 This picture shows 5 rows of 16, two of which have been put together so far. Thanks for looking (Oh, and I will NEVER do the "x" AND "square" quilting this way again. It looks too jumbled for me and my OCD kicks in and makes me need a time out. LOL!!!!!! Next time (not that there will BE a next time!) will be either all squares or all x's. LOL!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365145[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sneakpeekquilt.jpg  

Last edited by StaceySewsSorta; 09-24-2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: 4 inch squares AFTER 1/2 in seams!!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:51 AM

Oh, forgot to add..... my poor sewing machine may just put a bounty on my head by the time this beast is done.... Sewing over the seams when combining rows is insane!!

And one last note.... let me just tell you that when I combined the first two rows..... yeah, I did it backwards and had to pull the entire thing apart and do it over.

I dedicated a song to this quilt:

Taylor Swift's new song
"We Are NEVER Getting Back Together"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bahahaha!!!!!!! (Even posted the link on my FB with a picture of the quilt! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 09-24-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by StaceySewsSorta View Post
Oh, forgot to add..... my poor sewing machine may just put a bounty on my head by the time this beast is done.... Sewing over the seams when combining rows is insane!!

And one last note.... let me just tell you that when I combined the first two rows..... yeah, I did it backwards and had to pull the entire thing apart and do it over.

I dedicated a song to this quilt:

Taylor Swift's new song
"We Are NEVER Getting Back Together"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bahahaha!!!!!!! (Even posted the link on my FB with a picture of the quilt! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
From your picture it appears as if there is batting in you seam allowances. Did you cut the batting the same size as your squares? If so, no wonder your sewing machine is groaning. I cut my batting squares one inch smaller. I do admire that you are trying to curb your control-freak OCD. I just could not do it. My design board gets a lot use.