Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rather sizable difference of opinion! >

Rather sizable difference of opinion!

Rather sizable difference of opinion!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:35 AM

LOL..I like this idea!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:40 AM

you dont say how old your son is. . .a very close friend of mine is an architect and draws plans for houses. he adopted a 15yr old. one evening when he was having problems with the boy cody told him he best grow up as he will be old enough to get a job soon. bryan told him "im gona do what you do, doesent take a rocket scientist to erase lines and draw squares for windows." he had no clue what all was involved. obviously your son does not understand.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:54 AM

Time to take Junior shopping. Go to Pennys, pick up the $49 quilt, and be sure to save that receipt!! THen on to the fabric store, where you let him look at fabrics, patterns, thread, etc. Pick up a couple nice FQ, take him home, make a nice sandwich, quilting style, and sit him down at the machine. When he yells uncle, hand him the receipt and make him return the quality quilt to Pennys. Just make sure he brings the money home to you, lol. I think he will change his tune, and show your work more respect.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 AM

Kids... don't you love it? I can rememeber when I used to quip that all I had done all day was "sit around and watch soap operas and eat bon-bons all day" because I was not a woman that had a 'career'.. It was not popular when my kids were babies to be a stay at home Mom... that's why there was childcare. No matter the job, if you haven't done it, you probably have no idea what's involved. He's young, he'll learn.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:59 AM

What a great opportunity for teaching! . My son when he was very small, around 6 or so, didn't understand paying bills until I sat him down with a pile of $1 bills and the bills that came in that month. When he got to the end of the money and still had bills left he wanted to know then what? Well they get paid next week. After that he was very careful about asking if we had enough dollars to pay for something.

I would teach him exactly how much time and work goes into things and then show him online the working conditions of the people making those $49 quilts.
We are the ones who teach our children what things are worth and sadly now is a really good time because the way things look they are going to have a much harder time than a lot of us did.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:02 AM

You should hand him a needle and thread or put him at a machine and dare him to sit and sew for just one hour. then tell him to multiply that times 8 and see if he still thinks he'd do it for 50 bucks. hehehe!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:12 AM

That is so true! I don't make anything to sell, but even my DH realizes how much expense/work goes into any quilt I make. he said, if I sold one, I'd do good to make $1 an hr....& he's right.of course, I'm not an expert quilter,but even so....there is just no pay for our work.

Just figure the cost of shipping/insur! Working to another persons choice of colors & fabric wouldn't set right with me & wouldn't be long till I was done selling,for any price. But that's just me.

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I have realized that if they don't make the product, they have NO idea what goes into it!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 AM

That had to hurt. I'm pretty fortunate that both of my sons know the value of the quilts I make them. They both have hobbies that are also expensive and know what goes into those. Too bad the grandsons don't have the same knowledge. They are more along your son's line of thinking.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:56 AM

It's just amazing to me that people think that we just sit and sew and it isn't work, and our materials don't cost anything.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 AM

Soulds like he's come unslapped }:0)