Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rather sizable difference of opinion! >

Rather sizable difference of opinion!

Rather sizable difference of opinion!

Old 10-05-2011, 03:53 AM

those Quilts that are also made in china or even mexico. laber there is cheap, i look and laugh at those "store" bought quilts, theres no love in it.
Gunny
Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 AM

Most people (non crafters) have no idea of the time alone that goes into any craft beyond finger painting. It's the same with cross stitching or knitting. I once had a friend say the same thing about knitting. I knit so slowly, that I told her I'd have to charge $2,000 a sweater to make 50 cents an hour. She was dumbfounded and still clueless.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 AM

This conversation made me think back to the humble beginnings of our 'trade' - when thrifty mothers turned outgrown or nearly worn out pieces of clothing into lovely quilts to keep their loved ones warm. The cost was minimal - maybe some thread and perhaps batting. Today's quilters are shoppers! Fabrics, gadgets, machines, you name it. It's a whole different mindset, isn't it?
Old 10-05-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by blueangel
No one who doesn't sew has any idea what goes into making a quilt.
Tell that one to our son and daughter in law's dog, who, while in his kennel in the bedroom, got ahold of the quilt I made them for Christmas, a sampler (my trademark) and chewed the "h---" out of it. Just the quilting alone was close to $200.00. Fabric close to that! Right now, I swear I will never make them another one, but as distance separates time from event, I am softening!

Edie
Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 AM

A co-worker recently told me that she and her husband would like to have a nice quilt for their bed and wondered what it would cost if I were to make them one...It's a queen size bed. I told her the materials (fabrics, batting, and thread) would be over $100.00 alone not to mention my labor. So she changed her tune real quick. After all you can buy quilts at Wal Mart, K Mart etc. for much less. So I just say let them have those Tiawan quilts. Gotta pay for quality.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:08 AM

Sounds like me trying to change my son's leanings and attitudes on politics. It's a no-win situation.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:17 AM

First off, he was uninformed. Naive if you will. As with the general public, it's not his forte. I'm glad that you cut him some slack and didn't attack him.

Just like any art (like cross stitching for example), if you don't do it, you have no clue how long it takes to create it. Quilting is an expensive art form. It takes time, energy and deep pockets to make something...even scrappy!

I don't believe he was out to hurt you. I'm glad you informed him politely. I think there are too many quilters who would have rather chopped off his head for being so disrespectful! That's not the way to react or behave. Again kudos to you for informing him and not being haughty about it.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:23 AM

I'm just finishing up 3 lap quilts for the local VA hospital/nursing facility. My son, a disable vet himself, said don't just leave a good homemade quilt like that at the desk or they will never make it to the patients, they'll end up in the worker home. I didn't like the idea of the workers doing something like that, but at least I know he appreciates the value of them and they're scrappy quilts, so didn't cost a lot in fabric at least. Guess I did something right or got lucky. He also wants to deliver them or at least go with me. I could feel the pride he had.
I think your son just needs some more life experience. He'll get it.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo
Awhile back, there was a thread on here about how much it costs to make a quilt. I didn't bookmark it, but someone here who is less technically challenged than I am may be able to find it & give you the link. Show it to your son.
Ditto :thumbup:
Old 10-05-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Guess he needs to go and spend his $100 on fabric 'sit there' and sew for hours and days then when hes done... give him $50....

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Yes, that is what I would have him do.....see how precious his 'just sitting around the sewing machine' time is!