Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rather sizable difference of opinion! >

Rather sizable difference of opinion!

Rather sizable difference of opinion!

Old 10-05-2011, 06:28 AM

My Mom has mentioned me selling my quilts and crafts. Unfortunately I can't compete with the cheap stuff sent from overseas. Like you said, people just don't understand the time and cost. It's really sad.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 AM

AMEN! That`s like telling people how to raise kids, when you don`t have any. I hired a young man that wasn`t holding up his end of work. So I asked him if he should get paid the same as the rest of the workers or loose his job. Answer was "I don`t care, when I`m 21 yrs old I`m sueing my best friends father for a million dollars, because his son rolled the car over with me in it, and I`ll never have to work again!" I often wonder if he`s hunger now or if he`s working.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 AM

I have had similar conversations with friends and family so I sympathize with your frustration. I think this perception of quiltmaking as trivial is one of the reasons that so many quilts that are gifts are not respected. I was downtown the other day and saw what was obviously an old, handmade quilt being used as a bedliner for a pickup truck. I guess they think, "Why not? You can buy another one for $50 at J.C. Penney's"
Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 AM

I can't wait to read more responses. Some are hysterical, some very poignant. To me, it is very encouraging when a son/daughter/grandchild is willing to be taught the value of quilting and is brave enough to give it a try. Isn't that what our next generation will carry on?

We are in our last week of a one-month trip to our daughter's in Georgia and my 7-year-old granddaughter made her very first quilt square. She can't wait for our next visit in the Spring.

I didn't start quilting until I was 62 and it is now how I spend most of my time. I am a sponge for learning and grateful it came across my path. The originator of this post has a wonderful opportunity to educate and I think the suggestion to start him on a sewing adventure of his own is excellent.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 AM

I can't wait to read more responses. Some are hysterical, some very poignant. To me, it is very encouraging when a son/daughter/grandchild is willing to be taught the value of quilting and is brave enough to give it a try. Isn't that what our next generation will carry on?

We are in our last week of a one-month trip to our daughter's in Georgia and my 7-year-old granddaughter made her very first quilt square. She can't wait for our next visit in the Spring.

I didn't start quilting until I was 62 and it is now how I spend most of my time. I am a sponge for learning and grateful it came across my path. The originator of this post has a wonderful opportunity to educate and I think the suggestion to start him on a sewing adventure of his own is excellent.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:48 AM

One of my relatives wanted to have a full size quilt made. He asked me how much it would cost. I told him at least $300. Somehow, I never received the go-ahead to make the quilt! They just don't get it!! LOL
Old 10-05-2011, 07:51 AM

A friend of mine said much the same thing -"You're only making them whilst you are watching TV anyway and it is not as if they are works of art!" I didn't bother to respond to a Philistine...the material to make a king size quilt can easily cost $400 in this country,so let's not even discuss the labour...
Old 10-05-2011, 07:51 AM

My son once asked me, How many BLANKETS
Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 AM

Sorry, somehow sent the post before I was done. Anyway my son asked me, How many blankets do you need? I answered, It's not the end product its the process. Since he rides bikes in competion I asked him why he doesn't just take a bus, he would get there just the same. He got the point really quick. Said he was sorry, he just wasn't thinking.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:04 AM

I think you should encourage him to make a quilt himself, then see if his opinion about value changes. :-)