Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ready to cry over my quilting clutter! >

Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Oh bless your heart! I try and put things away immidiately after using what I need from it now. Before I changed rooms the fabric was loosly organized into types of fabric i.e. clothing, decorating and quilting.
But, now since I moved, ther eis only quilting fabric arranged into the fabric closet. There are three huge bins of deco, one of clothing and one of children's that I keep in another room.

I took three weeks to wash and press all of the fabric before it went into the new room. I thought I never would get through with it. But, eventually I did and I am back to sewing again. It takes determination and planning, but you can do it if I can!

That isn't to say there isn't more to do with all the quilt magazines and patterns I never will use again. I have been going through them at night while hubby watches t.v. There are four cardboard boxes full going to the assistance league this week of that!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 PM

[quote=G'ma Kay]
Originally Posted by Lori S
I lost a rotary cutter in my sewing room about 10 years ago ... still has not shown up. I loose a ruler almost daily .. now I have a few , and a rule to not "close -up for the night" with out tidying up a bit... at least put the rulers back to where they belong..... and the sissors..... and the rotary cutters..... and the seam rippers.... and..pin cushions and empty the trash.
I have a carpenters type apron that I put on when I am in a production mode. So I can keep some of my most used tools in the pockets and close at hand.
The apron is a great idea! I use one when I'm in the vineyard to keep my water bottle, ties, pruners, and clippers all handy. I could keep my scissors, clippers, rotary cutter and magnetic pin cushion all hand as well. They tend to get lost when I'm cutting.[/quote

I read somewhere that some quilters wear those carpenter's belts/aprons to organize the tools they use often -- scissors, thimble, etc.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:03 PM

This is where I waded in, too deep. From reading the Quilting Board, I learned how to fold fabrics and so....I began folding. Where do you draw the line? Fold 'em all, fold just the biggies? How should I sort them? Should I include specialty fabrics? I made a great deal of progress until my mind clicked into the organize-your-whole-house-your whole life-build-on-to-the-house mode. DO JUST 45 MINUTES AT A TIME...LOOK OUT THE WINDOW...EAT A COOKIE or you can drive yourself over the edge. Don't let tidy spoil your quilting. Remember, the best stuff in life is often messy. :thumbup:
Old 03-03-2011, 02:11 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions and support. I am going to make an effort to get more done on my laundry room each day. I think I will "reward" myself... and every twenty minutes spent in there means I get twenty minutes of sewing time. That way, I still will be able to finish up some commitments for swaps.

Unfortunately, I am not feeling well right now. I think I caught my daughter's flu. I hope it is just a cold (like my son has), but when I get home from work, I am going to go to bed. I am just too exhausted to work on any cleaning or sewing project this evening. My mom is making homemade chicken noodle soup right now in my kitchen and I know she will understand if I just crash out when dinner is over.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Thank you for all the suggestions and support. I am going to make an effort to get more done on my laundry room each day. I think I will "reward" myself... and every twenty minutes spent in there means I get twenty minutes of sewing time. That way, I still will be able to finish up some commitments for swaps.

Unfortunately, I am not feeling well right now. I think I caught my daughter's flu. I hope it is just a cold (like my son has), but when I get home from work, I am going to go to bed. I am just too exhausted to work on any cleaning or sewing project this evening. My mom is making homemade chicken noodle soup right now in my kitchen and I know she will understand if I just crash out when dinner is over.
Hope you feel better. Its hard with a job and family etc.
One thing I do is put on an audio book and work.The ones on CD's are best for me since it also helps with my timing. I have to make myself stop and rest after each CD is done. I get so wrapped up in the story that I don't notice how much I am doing.
It seems like a waste but this you can do even if you don't feel well.Make a list of general things you have.
Then when you feel better get boxes and separate. Don't worry about organizing just separate.
Then on another day or week:-) figure out what you need to organize and start putting things away. Keep a sheet of paper handy to make of list of things you may need.
Then hit Big Lots or one of the dollar stores for organizing stuff. If you don't have it already. Or if you have the time and energy hit thrift stores.
Give yourself time to get it done. Don't get over whelmed by trying to do everything at once .
Old 03-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
You and I are complete opposites LOL!! I over-organize everything--I'm very anal. I put things away and then I can't find them so I go and buy another of the exact same thing. I'm kidding--I really do know where everything is and have to put everything in its exact place when I'm done. My sewing room is upstairs so no one sees it but I still have to have it totally cleaned up or I can't function. I'm like that in all aspects of my life---cannot work/function in clutter.
I think that is good advice. Each day take one box or one section of your area and just concentrate on that until it's complete. Good luck---
My DH can't work in clutter either. So he clears off a table and puts everything in a bag and stuffs the bag in a corner, the garage any place but the table. Checks go in with old newspapers what ever. BUT it is out of sight and he can't live with clutter. GRrrrrr!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:25 PM

God bless Misty. Eat that chicken soup, get some rest and things will look better tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:31 PM

i can't not be a messy person. i've tried to be neat, it just ain't happening. i need to clean now, this camper trailer is small enough without all my cr..... in the way.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
I was overwhelmed just like you at one time. Then I decided to get it organized. It took me over a week. I ironed fabric, sorted, made cardboard to hold my fabric on the bookshelves. I sorted squares by size, fat quarters by colors, notions and got rid of things I knew I would never use. I bought plastic shoe boxes with lids to hold everything and labeled them by color or theme with painters tape. Now about every month, I just have to pick up some things and put them back where they belong. I know where I am on all my UFO's and I actually have completed 2 of them. Once you get through the initial shock, you will feel so good. It was worth all the time and work I spent. Good luck.
same for me...every horizontal surface was covered with god only knows what.. i sure didn't.

what made me get it done was a certified letter from an attorney's office threatening a law suit over an old student loan that i KNEW i had paid... i had to find the proof that it was paid!!

it took me an entire long weekend... i threw a lot of fabric down the stairs as i went... then washed (or rewashed) it & folded it into several laundry baskets as i went thru every drawer & box in there... eventually i pressed it all & folded it & put it nicely on the shelves

i found stuff i had long since forgotten i had & i sorted as i went thru it..

i did find the proof of payment & got my studio straightened out at the same time. i vowed never to let my studio get like that again. now when the counter starts to get full, i get twitchy

i didn't realize it at the time, but i wasn't sewing much when it was such a disaster... i sew a lot more & am much more relaxed in there now...

keep working at it & once you get it done, you will enjoy your space so much more!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:34 PM

Just this week I decided to begin to try to sort out my 'organized confusion'. I am doing a little at a time. The feeling of satisfaction is wonderful. I am not good at sticking to a project once I begin-but feel that this is a 'must do'.