Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing Unfinished Quilt from Long Arm >

Removing Unfinished Quilt from Long Arm

Removing Unfinished Quilt from Long Arm

Old 01-26-2014, 06:10 PM

I have red snappers also and I have removed a quilt and reloaded it later. Just be really careful to keep everything straight when you reload it. Also, I didn't fold it after I took it off...just spread it over the bed in spare room.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 AM

Brilliant advice

Originally Posted by justabitcrazy View Post
since you are only one third done quilting it, you should first baste the rest of the quilt. I would baste down the sides with each advance, as always, then baste across about every 4-6". I found those long threads in between get caught on everything and break very easily once the quilt is off the frame, and sometimes even on the machine itself underneath while still on the frame. For this reason i no longer just make a single stitch for the basting---it'll pull right out. I would recommend you make several short stitches in a row or stitch a small circle instead, something which won't pull out when the long threads catch and break. After doing all the horizontal basting, and small stitch basting along the bottom edge, i usually go back and put in some vertical basting lines, but not as close together. When you reload later, you will only have to attach to two leaders, one at the top and one at the bottom. You should have no problems.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 AM

Just baste the unquilted parts.
MaryKatherine
Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 AM

I did this last year for the first time and was really hesitant about it but it worked out great. I have already put it back on and completed it...queen size...with no problems. It was such a relief to know that could be successfully done!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:40 AM

I have done it several times. As several others have said make sure you mark you centers. I pin my quilts to the leaders and marking the centers is what keeps me straight.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:20 PM

For crying out loud! Finish the quilt and then go to the next project. You are making extra work for yourself by taking it off the machine. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
Ok, I have a whole cloth for myself on my LA right now.....and just havent had the desire to quilt it. I have tons of other projects that I want to work on right now....

I am about 1/3 of the way done with the quilt. So how hard is it to remove a half done quilt and then reload it at a later date? (hoping I will get it back on the frame later this year) I have the red snappers that I use to load the pieces.

Anything I need to be aware of? or watch out for? sigh, just cant get motivated to finish this now. especially with a couple "need to get done by mid feb" in line to be quilted.