Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Rotor Blades

np3
    Blog Entries
    Are they exactly the same? Do they fit securely?

Quote Originally Posted by grammo013
    After reading about carpet cutter blades at arbor Freight, I made hubby take me out there.

2 to a package and only $1.45 WOOHOO. I bought 10 packages before they discover quilters are using them and raise the price. They are super sharp. think they are made sharper as carpet is tough. Cut like going through butter.

Girl in store said they will have to limit how many a person can buy at a time. They are dangerous. I looked at her and "I am 61 years old I know how to use a blade and one will cut someone just as well at 20."

Always trying to take our bonuses away lol.

Sorry, my response wound up in your quote so I edited it.

Love your attitude and I hope that Harbor Freight doesn't catch on about us quilters or if they do that they have too many carpet professionals to raise the price.

perhaps it's time to call it a night. :?:

Great to know. I can't wait for our weekend trip to Harbor Freight. Hope they have a box full of them!!

Blog Entries
    I am still waiting to hear from someone about whether or not these are so sharp that they cut into your selfhealing mat.
    So if you have used these please answer this question for me.
    Charlene

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    I am still waiting to hear from someone about whether or not these are so sharp that they cut into your selfhealing mat.
    Charlene
    Someone wrote back toward the beginning of this thread that they are sharp and do not ruin your mat, but then my Olfa cuts into my selfhealing mat, just part and parcel of the cutting, I guess. I am on my third mat. I cut on a mat until I cut through. There's no such thing as a selfhealing mat! I mean a true self-healing mat. Once they are cut, they are cut! Edie

Blog Entries
    Called DH at work and told him to stop and pick some up.
    He called back and said there were only 4 packs. :(
    Hopefully they'll get some soon.

As I said earlier. They cut on your mat the same as our other blades. And I have never had a cut that didn't heal itself to a certain point. They (mats) will not last forever even if they are self healing.

I know that some have looked for them in other stores or carpet places. But I noticed on the back of the package it said made exclusively for Harbor Freight

Quote Originally Posted by clonesfan2
    I know that some have looked for them in other stores or carpet places. But I noticed on the back of the package it said made exclusively for Harbor Freight
    A lot of HF stuff is found only at HF. It's part of the charm of HF, unless you get committed to some tool that gets discontinued. And everything there is shipped from China, maybe they are bringing stuff from other countries now, but that's how HF got its name.

Our store had only 2 packs so I bought them and ordered more online as the store would not special order them, only told me they had more coming in this week. So I called this week and they are holding 20 packs for me to pick up on Monday. I tried the ones I bought and they work wonderfully. I cut thru 8, yes 8!! layers of quilting cotton fabric with only a second stroke to catch a few missed threads!!!! When cutting 4 layers, only one stroke was needed and there was minimal cutting into my mat. A bit less than with my other blade I'd say, because it needed less pressure.
    The HF blades seem a little thinner than the Joann's blades, and I don't know yet how long they will last. But my son did a lot of cutting for me with the HF blade and it is still going strong.

I have cut 50 yards into 14" strips this week and it is still going strong.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edie
    Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    Charlene
    Someone wrote back toward the beginning of this thread that they are sharp and do not ruin your mat, but then my Olfa cuts into my selfhealing mat, just part and parcel of the cutting, I guess. I am on my third mat. I cut on a mat until I cut through. There's no such thing as a selfhealing mat! I mean a true self-healing mat. Once they are cut, they are cut! Edie
    Thanks, I wondered about that. Also thanks for the comment about your selfhealing mat being cut. Mine has a cut line as well. I thought maybe I had done something wrong

Don't forget!
    You can also cut on the back of your cutting mat.
    I have cut through one mat because I kept using the grid to cut on rather than using my ruler for placing cut lines.
    The result was - - the most used lines got cut straight through!
    If you use the ruler as your cutting guide (since they are designed to be used exactly in that manner), you can move the cuts around on your mat and avoid my problem

Blog Entries
    I got a card in the mail today saying HF received my on-line order for 20 blades - didn't say when they would be shipped, but also didn't say they're backordered. HF already sent an Email with the same info. Kinda makes me wonder why they bothered to send a card - kinda sounds like they ARE backordered, donchathink? If they have ANY profit margin at all, they're seriously cutting into it with BOTH an Email AND a card in the mail!

Blog Entries
    I tried my blade in my Fiskar's last night.
    It worked great! Thanks for the tip. :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    I got a card in the mail today saying HF received my on-line order for 20 blades - didn't say when they would be shipped, but also didn't say they're backordered. HF already sent an Email with the same info. Kinda makes me wonder why they bothered to send a card - kinda sounds like they ARE backordered, donchathink? If they have ANY profit margin at all, they're seriously cutting into it with BOTH an Email AND a card in the mail!
    LOL Yes, I got my card in the mail today, too.

We have 2 habor freights one is 30 and the other is 40 miles away. We only went to the nearest one. Before we left I had called to make sure that they had some blades. I heard on the phone 10 packs and said alright. So off we went and when we got there I only found 3 packs thank goodness. I got up to the counter and the girl had remembered me and said that another lady was in and bought 10 packs. I told her that she had to be a quilter cause that is what we quilters are buying up now at the store and on line.(among other things of course).
    So who ever went to the store in Lilburn, Ga. that you for leaving the 3 packs. I went there myself to pick a couple up for a friend and a few for myself. At least I got these 3 packs.

I bought 5 packs and opened one. I am disappointed! Both blades skip threads leaving about 1/8 inch uncut about every 4 inches. Did anyone else have this problem? I will try one more package and if it isn't any better, I will take the other 3 back for a refund. I was really looking forward to having new, sharp blades.

Quote Originally Posted by ellenmg
    I looked online at Northern Tools but it did not show blades as an item they sell.... I will keep looking...Anyone try carpet stores?
    As near as I can tell HF is the only one that sell these. All the web sites I find eventually lead back to Harbor Freight. It is called a Bigelow style cutter. I did find some on the Chinese import seller web sites but you have to buy like 2500 boxes of them. My wife has used one of these the past few days but she said she is reserving her opinion at this time.

Blog Entries
    Are you sure you didn't accidentally put 2 blades in your cutter? That's what happens when you have more than one blade in the cutter, and it's very easy to make that mistake.

Also, be sure your rotary cutter has no lint build-up - and put a tiny dot of sewing machine oil on the blade. Run the cutter over a scrap before using it on 'good' fabric so be sure the oil isn't 'leaking'.

Dyer804, the only time my HF blade skipped a very few threads was when I tried it on 8 layers of fabric. And it was very few... like 3 places on a 14" cut. It's possible I just wasn't able to press hard enough since I was using my bad arm. On 4 layers or less, I have had no problems at all.

I finally used the rotary blade I got from Threadart- Wow!!It is like a hot knife cutting though butter--so smooth and quiet --you would wonder if you had the fabric cut at all but when you check-no threads showing smooth as silk. Worth the $2.99US I paid for them. Now I have 10( gave DD two) I am happy about that, being a pensioner and getting them when I did helps me save a lot of money on fabric.

I finally used the rotary blade I got from Threadart- Wow!!It is like a hot knife cutting though butter--so smooth and quiet --you would wonder if you had the fabric cut at all but when you check-no threads showing smooth as silk. Worth the $2.99US I paid for them. Now I have 10( gave DD two) I am happy about that, being a pensioner and getting them when I did helps me save a lot of money on fabric.

Blog Entries
    I just got another card from HF - this one says they're on back order - no big surprise!

Blog Entries
    I finally put one my new blades from HF in my cutter. Works like a charm.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast