Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Round Robin help - I'm stumped for an idea! >

Round Robin help - I'm stumped for an idea!

Round Robin help - I'm stumped for an idea!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 AM

I love it. I think that if you could find a print with cardinals and just put an outer border it would set it off very nicely.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:44 AM

I love it. Maybe if you could find some fabric with cardinals and just add an outer border that would pull everthing together and finish it off very nicely.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:44 AM

I think some kind of stop border to rest your eye!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I've had a couple of Aha! moments after reading these next pages of ideas and am feeling more encouraged! Keep them coming, please!

As much as I want to, I feel I can't remove the work of the round 2 quilter who added these two wonky borders.

It is SO unlike her usual work....her own quilt for round robin has a lovely, well-pieced mariner's compass in the center!! The man to whom this wonky one belongs created darling, colorful, striped beach umbrellas for his round on this woman's quilt ....so unfair for him to get this from her.

My heart keeps telling me to email him with a picture of her round, which I believe he has already seen, and ask his desire for me to do in mine round for him. I'm also thinking of piecing borders such as have been suggested here, but not attaching them to the quilt, so that HE can decide how he wants to handle it.

Of course, then I have no idea how it will appear when we all stand before the guild next month to show off this round's work on the quilts we had. I'll look like a idiot for not finishing, I suppose, though that doesn't necessarily bother me....I know my heart so I rarely worry about the opinion of others in cases like this. But, I'm just sort of worried that others will realize there wasn't anything I could do about her work and will talk about her. Such a dilemma!!

Jan in VA
while I'm not thrilled with the wonky border, what really bothers me about it is the bright blue/turquoise stripe in it--is there a way to tone it down? Think the white just emphasizes it--and black probably would too. Maybe a dull red or tan? Good luck!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 AM

I am sorry that someone ruined a beautiful beginning. I am sorry you have to find a way to save this. I like KarenK's idea the best, but that may be because she made it visual. Good luck and am anxious to hear and see the conclusion to this story. Also, if this was to happen to anyone, Jan you are the one - you are so far ahead of the rest of us!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 PM

Geez Jan this is quite a pickle. In my own humble opinion ( and since you asked), I think this quilt has enough going on. What about a red border either using a square in a square border, or large flying geese that are edge. I mean the geese pare on their sides? Does this make sense? Plain would work as well.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:57 PM

I would put a red border about 1 1/2 to 2" then put our beautiful work eveyone on here will know your work and your guild will know also ,I know your round robin ,you can't take hers off or add to it in any way sorry DottieBug
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

You all have been so precious to help with suggestions and give your compliments for my ability to figure this out (that's a pretty high pedestal, guys, and I'm not the fond of heights with edges!!). I DID email the quilt owner with the picture of what I have to work on, and the 3 graphics sent to the thread, and asked him what he wanted me to do. It was a lengthy email, whining about how much I disliked what I'd been left with and how worried I was about his happiness with the finished quilt.

Being a guy, he sent back a terse one liner saying he liked the one with red that appears to wrap around itself....the graphic eparys first sent back on page 1. That, of course, didn't really tell me a dang thing!! Do I leave hers? Do I make the 'wrap' border but leave it unattached so he can do it later? Does he want it in only red, then? MEN!

And I still don't have the quilt to begin work on it; got to call and push the round 4 gal tomorrow; enough delay is enough already.

I will try to get a photo before I take it to guild meeting on March 1 so you can see how I finally rid myself of this albatross.

Jan in VA
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Power Poster

As one of my best friends is wont to say "courage brother, do not stumble"....let us know how the "bothersome bird quilt" (well..... cardinals and albatross) turns out.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 PM

Yikes! I know I'm a newbie but I thought you had laid the round robin quilt on top of something you were working on. Didn't realize till I was reading replies that that was part of the quilt - ouch. Will be interested to see what you come up with.