Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Round Robin help - I'm stumped for an idea! >

Round Robin help - I'm stumped for an idea!

Round Robin help - I'm stumped for an idea!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
You all have been so precious to help with suggestions and give your compliments for my ability to figure this out (that's a pretty high pedestal, guys, and I'm not the fond of heights with edges!!). I DID email the quilt owner with the picture of what I have to work on, and the 3 graphics sent to the thread, and asked him what he wanted me to do. It was a lengthy email, whining about how much I disliked what I'd been left with and how worried I was about his happiness with the finished quilt.

Being a guy, he sent back a terse one liner saying he liked the one with red that appears to wrap around itself....the graphic eparys first sent back on page 1. That, of course, didn't really tell me a dang thing!! Do I leave hers? Do I make the 'wrap' border but leave it unattached so he can do it later? Does he want it in only red, then? MEN!

And I still don't have the quilt to begin work on it; got to call and push the round 4 gal tomorrow; enough delay is enough already.

I will try to get a photo before I take it to guild meeting on March 1 so you can see how I finally rid myself of this albatross.

Jan in VA
I am going to weigh back in here - I have been watching from afar (lol) just dying to know what you decided. There have been some great responses and lots of choice. If you go with the twisted border that I found, I would be tempted to use either two different reds (it looks like the geese are not all the same fabric) or use a red and the grey blue batik. Here is what is might look like with two dif colors (I threw it into EQ and played with the sizing a little).
Attached Thumbnails snap.jpg  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Betty,
He has asked for your border treatment! I think you for the new graphic; had drawn it on my graph paper, too, and thought maybe differing colors might work well. I STILL don't have it yet from the gal doing the thread painting on the star flowers and leaves -- hope to get it tomorrow at our 2nd meeting of the month. That gives me 2 weeks to work on it!

Jan in VA
Old 02-14-2013, 04:40 PM

I like this border that Betty did - I don't know how you could do this, but is there a way to start your round with the red and have the inside tips be 3-D extending into the previous round?
I know whatever you do will be an improvement!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 PM

I like the idea of 3D points extending over the last round. It might draw the eye away some more from the wonky borders.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I think the real trick here is to get through this without hurting the feelings of the previous round quilter. I just don't see how you can cut off what she has done or really alter it all that much. Some of the ideas presented are good and I'm sure you will come up with many more, Jan, but I really don't think you can change what has been done.
I agree. I would think the rules of the round robin don't allow for ripping other peoples work out for obvious reasons. What if that person is a member of the quilting board and is reading every word that has been written so far? Since it is what it is I think I would expand on the whole chollywhopped idea and try not to take it too seriously.

How does someone join a round robin?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I agree. I would think the rules of the round robin don't allow for ripping other peoples work out for obvious reasons. ... Since it is what it is I think I would expand on the whole chollywhopped idea and try not to take it too seriously. ...
I agree as well. Oddly enough everyone has different ideas of what looks good - that is why my quilts look different from everyone else's quilts. The long and the short of a round robin is at the end you get what you get and sometimes it is not always what you hoped for. I am hoping that there is a good reason for the stripe but whomever owns it if he does not like it can rip out the striped border and replace it afterwards and still use Jan 's border .

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
How does someone join a round robin?
Either it would be in a quilting guild or online group. I have seen some on other sites - but after my disastrous row robin I am not sure I will be doing that again any time soon. lol
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM

Jan- How are you making out? Any updates?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM

Teeler, I have just gotten the quilt a couple of days ago from the previous round gal.....yeah, she cut into MY time with it, but it's okay. Her thread work is marvelous! I've decided, with the original quilter's request, to do the last border suggested by eparys but in the colors of her first post -- reds. I will try to get a photo of it for all of you.

Jan in VA
Old 02-21-2013, 12:00 PM

I really liked the way Carol45 done it. I think that really balanced it off nicely. Can hardly wait to see your final product. Maybe the other person done it this way just to tease you with the challenge & so see how you handle it?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Well, to update all.....This morning was reveal day at guild for these round robins. I had been up until midnight Thursday night working on this one, sewing on two sides of the border I made like the latest graphic from eparys, and writing in his journal to explain why I didn't apply it all the way around (remember, the prior border was a mess and I was thinking he might want to redo it to his own satisfaction.) Got up late this morning and rushed to get dressed, drive to guild......and realized I left the dang quilt hanging on my design wall 28 miles back home!!!!! Sigh.
Sooooooooo, as I *had* managed to pack up the rest of his box, including the two borders I didn't sew on to the top, I stood there like a fool in the front of the room and showed my border strip while everyone else showed their completed tops.
No photos were taken, I have none to show you until next month when he asked me to bring it then for show and tell. It will still be incomplete, waiting for his hand, but I will try to get a photo of it then. It really does look pretty with a deep red bar and a gorgeous, twinkly blue ribbon wrapping it, as eparys designed on page 11 here. The blue seems to be a combination of the pale aqua he used in the center as background for his cardinals, and the deeper true blue stripe in the weird borders the other quilter added.

I'm happy with it and very done with this quilt!!

Thank you all for your support and interest; I apologize for letting you down on the photos.

Jan in VA