Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rude quilters >

Rude quilters

Rude quilters

Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM

I agree with Rosy! Most so called 'quilters' who act like that are really only wannabees. I personally have never meet a sister quilter that I haven't adored. I worked one summer at a church camp and every summer a quilt group from a neighboring state comes for a long weekend just to quilt together, share ideas and enjoy one anothers company. When i found out they were there I made a little visit to their area and wow! What a tremendous group of ladies!!!! They shared their work, their ideas, stories, and so much valuable info on quilting supplies etc. I left after spending only about an hour with so much support and info that i will never ever forget that wonderful group of quilting ladies. I just wiah I lived closer so I could join them. Anyone who is a real quilter knows that it takes multiple personalities and lifestyles to be able to do the work that quilting requires. Forget those ladies and remember the wonderful quilts you saw while there.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by momski
Thanks for the love ladies. I LOVE the pincushion idea and will definatly put that into practice.

The snicker was in response to a statement that I made about the usefulness of a quilt with no batting that was made in NJ. I suggested that it could be for decoration and the lady in question snickered at me and said "they didn't have decoration." I call BS. She should have read the very next plaque, which said that a quilt of this complexity and quality of fabric would be used for display purposes.

I also should have mentioned that I am a historical archaeologist with a special interest in the "womanly arts" of the mid-1800s through westward expansion, so I know what I am talking about. But I just wanted to get away from that woman before I acted as rude as her and let my son throw his toy phone at her.
It is so clear to me that that woman did not know of what she spoke of, she did however show her ignorance of her knowledge about quilts and their history. she just could NOT have been a quilter herself. so just consider the source. so sorry you had part of what should have been a great day spoiled by a know nothing, type of person trying to look like they were not so ignorant!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shelia
What a shame. Old crones.

A few years ago I waited in a long line the day after Thanksgiving to buy a video camera for my S and DIL. When it finally came my turn to make a purchase, the clerk asked if I'd like an extra something or another to go with the camera. I thought about it for maybe 5 seconds...an and old hag behind me thumped her big old expensive purse on the counter and said "Don't hurry just because I'm waiting behind you!" The clerk gasped. I sized her up in a quick glance...60something,bossy, spoiled, used to getting her way, way expensive clothes and purse and jewelry for WalMart on Black Friday...I smiled sweetly and said "Oh, I never get in a hurry...it just makes you old and ugly." I looked at the clerk and said, "I've decided to pay for this with a check instead of my debit card and I'll need to call my husband since he has the checkbook. He's in the store somewhere."
Old hag looked offended and MAD but what could she do? The clerk looked pleased. Even the couple of customers behind me looked pleased and didn't mind one bit that they had to wait about a minute for my husband to get there.

You go girl. Great job. Maybe some of these crabby people will get the hint and not be so nasty.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:03 AM

Wow -- this has been interesting!!! Yes, I have ideas now, too! I've run into some "interesting" people at LQSs and at quilt shows. However, I recently ran into the neatest woman at a quilt show --- who has invited me to the local guild (now that ought to be interesting!)

1) I would NEVER, NEVER snicker at someone in a Mariner's T-shirt (not sure that's what they were snickering about though). I thought EVERYONE in the NW wore t-shirts (I do!):P

2) Now every time my machine "eats my quilt".....I'm going to wonder who I offended today!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Good advice from everyone here.....Know that YOU are a nice person and they'll have to answer for it!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:08 AM

yay! Well Said.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by momski
I went to the Milwaukee Art Museum to see the American Quilt exhibits and was confronted with some really rude quilters who treated me like a idiot. I won't go into specifics, I just wanted to remind everyone that quilters come in all shapes, sizes and ages. Don't assume someone doesn't know what they are talking about just because they don't look like your traditional quilter.

And if you are a lady in your 50's, brown hair, white shirt w/ print who was visiting the museum today with 2 other ladies of the same age who snickered at a young mom wearing a Mariners shirt.... I hope your sewing machine eats every last one of your quilts!
I love your last sentence !!

I dislike rude people. What exactly does a "traditional quilter" look like?

I am a quilter, but I don't exactly look "traditional.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108076.jpe  
Old 08-31-2010, 08:14 AM

Shame on them, but I would bet that even if they weren't quilters, they would be that rude. My experience with quilters is that 99.999999% of them are just the most wonderful, friendly, caring, helpful people in the world. So put them in the quilt eating machine, and think of all the wonderufl people on here.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 AM

Maybe they were from the "QUILTING POLICE" and trying to shape everyone else up to their standards????
Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2
Maybe they were from the "QUILTING POLICE" and trying to shape everyone else up to their standards????
Or they watched a Bob Villa video on quilting.........LOL
Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Wow -- this has been interesting!!! Yes, I have ideas now, too! I've run into some "interesting" people at LQSs and at quilt shows. However, I recently ran into the neatest woman at a quilt show --- who has invited me to the local guild (now that ought to be interesting!)

1) I would NEVER, NEVER snicker at someone in a Mariner's T-shirt (not sure that's what they were snickering about though). I thought EVERYONE in the NW wore t-shirts (I do!):P

2) Now every time my machine "eats my quilt".....I'm going to wonder who I offended today!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Good advice from everyone here.....Know that YOU are a nice person and they'll have to answer for it!!!
Get a sparkly blue prism and it'll redirect that bad juju quilt eating vibe:)