Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Rude quilters

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda58
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight
    I've had a similar thing happen to me. I just smile, the in my head Pray for them, LOL that all their fabric dyes to run, their needles to break and bird nests on the back of ALL their future quilts.

Don't let the rudeness of someone else ruin your day. They are the ones who are lacking. You on the other hand are a wonderful Mariners fan. :)
    Like this song?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrtzX2ONoT4

You tube link to I Pray for you song lol.
    I love this song!!!! I have never heard it before>
    That is such a wonderful song. Would that more people could hear it. Even the young people with their W-e-i-r-d ways in this generation, might get some good out of it.

Hooray for you

Read my quote below and don't let them biddies take your JOY away and put you in another place.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by momski
    I went to the Milwaukee Art Museum to see the American Quilt exhibits and was confronted with some really rude quilters who treated me like a idiot. I won't go into specifics, I just wanted to remind everyone that quilters come in all shapes, sizes and ages. Don't assume someone doesn't know what they are talking about just because they don't look like your traditional quilter.

And if you are a lady in your 50's, brown hair, white shirt w/ print who was visiting the museum today with 2 other ladies of the same age who snickered at a young mom wearing a Mariners shirt.... I hope your sewing machine eats every last one of your quilts!
    Oh, you gave me a good laugh! I'm like you, I dislike rude people whether at a quilt show or whereever. I especially like a grocery cart blocker who just stands there in the middle of the isle and looks at me as thought I some sort of an alien. Good for you! LOL
    Being one of those grocery store cart people. It's because my mind is still thinking about what I was thinking about for the week and trying to remember and is slowly beginning to recognize that a person is there.

Hey, I'm older, a mother of 3, my brain transmission is slow now.

Oh I am sure they must have snickering at your shirt. You see, I am also a Mariner's fan, I gotta be, I live here, and they are the most gosh awful baseball team in the history of baseball. They have given away all the good guys and hire bush leaguer's hopeing to find some guys that they could win with. You know like this years Little League Champs. But, darn that won't even happen. We had Griffey, The Unit, A-Rod, Moyer, Edgar Martenez, just think we had them all and we gave them all away. Oh MEMORIES ! ! !
    So you see they wern't laughing at you, it was your shirt. I know it was.

Power Poster
    Unfortunately they must also be miserable little people.

Am I just plain dumb or is there something I don't know about being wrong with wearing whatever you are comfortable in?

Blog Entries
    So sorry for your bad experience. We visit lots of quilt shops all over the United States while traveling . First sign of a good shop - if they speak when you walk through the door. We have stopped at many where they do not even acknowledge you are there. We never go back.

Sorry you had to get that type of a response from quilters- obviously we don't treat anyone in this forum that way- or pre judge them.

I do applaud you for keeping your cool and for wearing a Mariners shirt!! I'm still laughing about your wish for them- hilarious. How about hoping they can't remove their papers from paper piecing!!

I went to the Milwaukee Art Museum to see the American Quilt exhibits and was confronted with some really rude quilters who treated me like a idiot. I won't go into specifics, I just wanted to remind everyone that quilters come in all shapes, sizes and ages. Don't assume someone doesn't know what they are talking about just because they don't look like your traditional quilter.

And if you are a lady in your 50's, brown hair, white shirt w/ print who was visiting the museum today with 2 other ladies of the same age who snickered at a young mom wearing a Mariners shirt.... I hope your sewing machine eats every last one of your quilts!

The other day I was buying some supplies at WalMart when another quilter seen me trying to match up materials.
    She came and started up a conversation. She remarked that quilters are the most friendly people of all crafts and willing to share hits, patterns, etc.

know that one - I went to Birmingham Festival of Quilts at the weekend - very big and very busy - overheard not once but 3 times fellow quilters complaining about people in wheelchairs!! couldn't believe what I was hearing - saying how they got in the way and shouldn't be allowed - needless to say by the 3rd time I was fuming and couldn't resist butting in and remind them 'that their for the grace of God it could be them' not an attitude you would associate with quilters - am fuming just thinking about it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Know what I think is really pathetic?

That we get so upset about something like this! Was there any bodily harm done to anyone? Did anyone suffer any property damage?

Are we always considerate as customers? Have we never, ever made an impatient comment about someone else in a public place?

Read about what happened to trupeach's daughter (think it was her - rock dropped/thrown through a windshield)

My nephew was just about killed when a bunch of thugs ganged up on him and kicked him in the head until he was unconscious. Reason? He got out of his pickup and threw it back at them after they threw something at his pickup! (this was at a gas station at 1:15 am)
    I am so sorry for your nephew and trupeach's daughter. However, that saying about sticks and stones and words can never hurt you is total BS! Look at all those kids lately that have committed suicide because of all the harsh words thrown their way. I know all about that personally! I was picked on, teased, and beat up constantly as a kid. Fortunately I never committed suicide, not that I didn't think about it, but I just never followed thru with it. The thing is, it's stuck with me all these years and sometimes still bothers me. Words can be like a double edged sword, very hurtful. I think they scar worse than physical wounds. Physical wounds you can see the scars from, mental, psychological and emotional scars can't be seen by the naked eye. But they are, nevertheless, there and just as bad, if not worse.!
    No, the sticks and stones thing is true. The thing is, the words can only have power over you if you let them. The only one in charge of whether your feelings are hurt is you.

I think that is something we as a society have gotten away from. Teaching our kids how to deal with people who can hurt us, responsibly or even in a strong manner.
    I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE!!! Maybe as an adult you may have the control, but as a kid and you don't know any better because you weren't taught is a whole nuther story. I am totally in control of my own thoughts and actions today and I don't/won't let what others think of me affect me now. Today my philosophy is: what others think of me is none of my business. Not sure where I heard that, but it applies.

were they laughing at your quilting comments or the mariners shirt? because u know everyone makes fun of the Seattle teams i know how that is i am a transplanted Washingtonian and here in Ohio they all make fun of me when i cheer my Seattle teams on except my husbands betting friend not since i made him money a couple of years ago actually he asked my husband if we were going to do some betting this year apparently i was lucky to him that year why am i lucky to someone else but not myself if that aint karma i don't know what is. sorry i digress i am sorry those ladies were mean sometimes it was better when we were little and someone was mean to us u could just walk over and kick them in the shins maybe you should have.

Quote Originally Posted by lindyline
    See if this makes yu feel better.
    DD, DGD(18mths old) and I went to Quilt show, couple of years ago.DGD started to throw a tantrum, in her pusher.
    One lady turned around, lookes at child, glared at mother, then turned to freind and said"this is no place to bring a baby or a pusher.Look at the space it's taking up."
    Quick as a wink DD looked her straight in the eye and replied"Well your a fair unit, you're taking up more space than us, maybe you also should have stayed at home".
    Other ladies around us applauded her.
    Very sheepish embarassed lady apologised, and left quickly.
    i think your daughter and i would get along just fine i hope that old witch turned as red as a lobster i applaud you for making your quilt outing a 3 generation thing maybe that's what her problem was she doesn't have any generations to share with

Quote Originally Posted by sandilee
    The other day I was buying some supplies at WalMart when another quilter seen me trying to match up materials.
    She came and started up a conversation. She remarked that quilters are the most friendly people of all crafts and willing to share hits, patterns, etc.
    Of course quilters are observant and tolerant people. Everyday they see materials change their appearance dependent on the elements next to them.

Quilters know about change and what great influence the environment has.

Thanks for the love ladies. I LOVE the pincushion idea and will definatly put that into practice.

The snicker was in response to a statement that I made about the usefulness of a quilt with no batting that was made in NJ. I suggested that it could be for decoration and the lady in question snickered at me and said "they didn't have decoration." I call BS. She should have read the very next plaque, which said that a quilt of this complexity and quality of fabric would be used for display purposes.

I also should have mentioned that I am a historical archaeologist with a special interest in the "womanly arts" of the mid-1800s through westward expansion, so I know what I am talking about. But I just wanted to get away from that woman before I acted as rude as her and let my son throw his toy phone at her.
    i am sorry since you know all that stuff about quilting you are a much better person than i am had i been you i would have preceded to tell the old witch what u just told us and made sure she knew how wrong she was of course i probably would have ended up in jail because i probably would have whispered to my son to throw the toy at her. i am not sure when it became socially acceptable to talk to and about strangers in public. we were at a restaurant once and my youngest son has psoriasis severly on his face which we were working on getting under control well the people at the next table decided they needed to talk about it like we were idiots and deaf the when my dh came back to the table he asked what was wrong i guess he could see the smoke billowing out of my ears so i told him in a voice loud enough for them to hear that some people feel the need to be rude in public and comment on crap that they know nothing about! needless to say they finished their dinners and left quickly. im sure it didnt have anything to do with the daggers i shot them the whole meal.

LOL chasing hawk love the pic!

Momski, they sounded rude and ignorant, I hope you didn't let them spoil your day.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesewta
    Well said. If enough of us hope for it .... it might happen.:)
    sorry this happened to you, some people can be so rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda58
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight
    I've had a similar thing happen to me. I just smile, the in my head Pray for them, LOL that all their fabric dyes to run, their needles to break and bird nests on the back of ALL their future quilts.

Don't let the rudeness of someone else ruin your day. They are the ones who are lacking. You on the other hand are a wonderful Mariners fan. :)
    Like this song?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrtzX2ONoT4

You tube link to I Pray for you song lol.
    I love this song!!!! I have never heard it before>
    That is such a wonderful song. Would that more people could hear it. Even the young people with their W-e-i-r-d ways in this generation, might get some good out of it.
    I just posted this song to my facebook page, so I hope others listen to it!!

Love that song

Fox
    Roos AND kitties. What a great day this is going to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Ada Shiela
    Quilterguy, you're more beautiful than I thought you were - have followed many of your messages on the board, and appreciate your comment today. I'm glad you have learned to live so capably with your, may I say, partial disability.
    Thanks Ada Shiela! I appreciate it.

Been there, had that happen to me. Thankfully, people like that are in the minority. Hang in there, everyone on this board is nice!

Hi< Im samharley.New to this site. I am 73. Not to new at quilting, got a lot to learn, but I love to quilt, I have a big problem of buying fabric,I have tons of it,Love it,Love it.I just get into another world when I walk into my sewing room,It's like when i ride my motorcycle,it's me,my bike and the wind.nothing else.Hope someone out there understanders what this is like.Yes I wear boots, not to sew in, LOL I do dress in Biker clothes and leathers,no one would would believe i was a quilter out there. My husband and I travel alot on our bikes .I visit all the Quilt and fabric shops we run into, Love it. I do get a few stares and whispers. But I enjoy life. I did not mean to talk about other things on the post, I was talking about rude peope.I love them, I just smile,stand taller and turn around so they can get the full picture of this Biker Chic that loves God and all his people ( and the rude ones) This site looks like fun ,I have already made the dish towel,folded potholder,& microwave mit, Thanks ya'll

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast