Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 233

Thread: Rude quilters

  1. #151
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,658
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Oh I'm sorry that happened to you...I just hate rude people! I usually just turn to them, smile sweetly and say "Pardon me?????, did you say something to me??" They are usually too embarrassed to repeat it, but if they do, then my next response is "why would you say something like that?" They are usually ready to get away at that point.

    I really hope your next museum experience will be much better..
    oooh, really gotta borrow this technique!!!! :lol:

  2. #152
    Super Member Chasing Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    8,549
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Know what I think is really pathetic?

    That we get so upset about something like this! Was there any bodily harm done to anyone? Did anyone suffer any property damage?

    Are we always considerate as customers? Have we never, ever made an impatient comment about someone else in a public place?

    Read about what happened to trupeach's daughter (think it was her - rock dropped/thrown through a windshield)

    My nephew was just about killed when a bunch of thugs ganged up on him and kicked him in the head until he was unconscious. Reason? He got out of his pickup and threw it back at them after they threw something at his pickup! (this was at a gas station at 1:15 am)
    I am guilty of this, but I do try to keep my comments to myself.
    I am sorry to hear about your nephew. Tragic sign of the times we live in. Such little regard for life.

  3. #153
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Shame on them! But a quilt eating sewing machine???? That might be a little drastic! LOL

    People can only put you down if you let them. If it should happen again just look the woman in the eye and say something like, "I've heard that menopause can sometimes make a woman really nasty and hateful, I guess it's true."
    Or, "I'm sorry, did I inadvertantly convey the impression that you had the right to be snotty to me?" Don't ever let anyone make you feel less than what you are.
    Naomi Judd once said, "Every woman should feel like a princess because we're all daughters of the most High King."
    Sorry, I made a boo boo! -madamekelly
    I love these comebacks, I hope I can remember them if I ever need them.. I especially love the quote from Naomi Judd!!!

  4. #154
    Super Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by momski
    I went to the Milwaukee Art Museum to see the American Quilt exhibits and was confronted with some really rude quilters who treated me like a idiot. I won't go into specifics, I just wanted to remind everyone that quilters come in all shapes, sizes and ages. Don't assume someone doesn't know what they are talking about just because they don't look like your traditional quilter.

    And if you are a lady in your 50's, brown hair, white shirt w/ print who was visiting the museum today with 2 other ladies of the same age who snickered at a young mom wearing a Mariners shirt.... I hope your sewing machine eats every last one of your quilts!
    Well, I can just imagine what they would have said if they saw all 6' of me walk in there, LOL! And I'm getting a lot less restrained in expressing it, too! :D

  5. #155
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    I hope all of her colors bleed, so she will have worked as hard as you did, to afford the trip, she tried to ruin!

  6. #156
    Super Member quilterguy27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Know what I think is really pathetic?

    That we get so upset about something like this! Was there any bodily harm done to anyone? Did anyone suffer any property damage?

    Are we always considerate as customers? Have we never, ever made an impatient comment about someone else in a public place?

    Read about what happened to trupeach's daughter (think it was her - rock dropped/thrown through a windshield)

    My nephew was just about killed when a bunch of thugs ganged up on him and kicked him in the head until he was unconscious. Reason? He got out of his pickup and threw it back at them after they threw something at his pickup! (this was at a gas station at 1:15 am)
    I am so sorry for your nephew and trupeach's daughter. However, that saying about sticks and stones and words can never hurt you is total BS! Look at all those kids lately that have committed suicide because of all the harsh words thrown their way. I know all about that personally! I was picked on, teased, and beat up constantly as a kid. Fortunately I never committed suicide, not that I didn't think about it, but I just never followed thru with it. The thing is, it's stuck with me all these years and sometimes still bothers me. Words can be like a double edged sword, very hurtful. I think they scar worse than physical wounds. Physical wounds you can see the scars from, mental, psychological and emotional scars can't be seen by the naked eye. But they are, nevertheless, there and just as bad, if not worse.!

  7. #157
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    23,036
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I hope all of her colors bleed, so she will have worked as hard as you did, to afford the trip, she tried to ruin!
    That's how I feel about the people that tell new quilters that they should not/do not need to wash their fabrics before using them.

    I guess I went off topic. Still feel that way, though.

  8. #158
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelia
    What a shame. Old crones.

    A few years ago I waited in a long line the day after Thanksgiving to buy a video camera for my S and DIL. When it finally came my turn to make a purchase, the clerk asked if I'd like an extra something or another to go with the camera. I thought about it for maybe 5 seconds...an and old hag behind me thumped her big old expensive purse on the counter and said "Don't hurry just because I'm waiting behind you!" The clerk gasped. I sized her up in a quick glance...60something,bossy, spoiled, used to getting her way, way expensive clothes and purse and jewelry for WalMart on Black Friday...I smiled sweetly and said "Oh, I never get in a hurry...it just makes you old and ugly." I looked at the clerk and said, "I've decided to pay for this with a check instead of my debit card and I'll need to call my husband since he has the checkbook. He's in the store somewhere."
    Old hag looked offended and MAD but what could she do? The clerk looked pleased. Even the couple of customers behind me looked pleased and didn't mind one bit that they had to wait about a minute for my husband to get there.
    MOUSIE:
    A few years back, my hubby used to act like I was holding up the line etc. by writing a check, or by standing there after being handed my receipt and change, putting it away so I wouldn't lose it or put something in the wrong place.
    Then not too long ago, while trying to find a parking spot, I was waiting patiently for a lady to finish putting her groceries in her car, and had my DD with me...there were some cars behind me.
    DD began to tell me that I was making the lady loading groceries nervous and making ppl behind me wait, and that I should move on!
    I said, "You sound like your daddy. What ever happened to, IT'S MY TURN and when I am behind someone else, IT'S THEIR TURN, and I wait patiently on them without a word, a look or a sigh, bc that is just rude.
    When it is my turn, I expect the same consideration. I am not in the way, and I am not giving up this spot bc others turned down this lane."
    Some things are just random. You get what you get, and you need to practice the golden rule.
    However, in your case, being confronted by a rude old biddy, your reaction makes me laugh! Not enough of us really take up for ourselves like that! Good for you, sister quilter! right on! :thumbup:

  9. #159
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,658
    Quote Originally Posted by JETTA
    fried green tomatoes remember when kathy bates hit the car over and over because the two younger gals took her parking spot after waiting for it?It's called disrespect and that's the way its done girls.
    TOWANDA!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

  10. #160
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    s.cal
    Posts
    2,070
    Blog Entries
    1
    gee where her friends like her ,shame on them next time you in counter people like that just say, im not an idiot just asking a quetion of course in a nice to the point way

  11. #161
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    23,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousie
    Quote Originally Posted by JETTA
    fried green tomatoes remember when kathy bates hit the car over and over because the two younger gals took her parking spot after waiting for it?It's called disrespect and that's the way its done girls.
    TOWANDA!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    I did like that part of the movie :mrgreen: :hunf: :-P

  12. #162
    Super Member quilterguy27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,449
    TOWANDA!!! It's one of my favorite movies!!

  13. #163
    Super Member grammyj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kenova,West Virginia
    Posts
    1,035
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
    So sorry you had a bad experience!

    I had a similar experience years ago.

    May I suggest for therapy, that you make a pincushion in her honor. Something brown. :lol:
    LOL good one!

  14. #164
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    59
    as was said , quilters come in all shapes and sizes and God did not make not one of us alike. You showed that woman who was a lady by not saying anything you would regret later.

  15. #165
    Super Member katiebear1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    lexington ky
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisygirl
    You go girl!
    Ditto!

  16. #166
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Know what I think is really pathetic?

    That we get so upset about something like this! Was there any bodily harm done to anyone? Did anyone suffer any property damage?

    Are we always considerate as customers? Have we never, ever made an impatient comment about someone else in a public place?

    Read about what happened to trupeach's daughter (think it was her - rock dropped/thrown through a windshield)

    My nephew was just about killed when a bunch of thugs ganged up on him and kicked him in the head until he was unconscious. Reason? He got out of his pickup and threw it back at them after they threw something at his pickup! (this was at a gas station at 1:15 am)
    I am so sorry for your nephew and trupeach's daughter. However, that saying about sticks and stones and words can never hurt you is total BS! Look at all those kids lately that have committed suicide because of all the harsh words thrown their way. I know all about that personally! I was picked on, teased, and beat up constantly as a kid. Fortunately I never committed suicide, not that I didn't think about it, but I just never followed thru with it. The thing is, it's stuck with me all these years and sometimes still bothers me. Words can be like a double edged sword, very hurtful. I think they scar worse than physical wounds. Physical wounds you can see the scars from, mental, psychological and emotional scars can't be seen by the naked eye. But they are, nevertheless, there and just as bad, if not worse.!
    No, the sticks and stones thing is true. The thing is, the words can only have power over you if you let them. The only one in charge of whether your feelings are hurt is you.

    I think that is something we as a society have gotten away from. Teaching our kids how to deal with people who can hurt us, responsibly or even in a strong manner.

  17. #167
    Senior Member mosquitosewgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
    So sorry you had a bad experience!

    I had a similar experience years ago.

    May I suggest for therapy, that you make a pincushion in her honor. Something brown. :lol:
    Would that be a voodoo pincushion?

  18. #168
    Senior Member mosquitosewgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by momski
    I went to the Milwaukee Art Museum to see the American Quilt exhibits and was confronted with some really rude quilters who treated me like a idiot. I won't go into specifics, I just wanted to remind everyone that quilters come in all shapes, sizes and ages. Don't assume someone doesn't know what they are talking about just because they don't look like your traditional quilter.

    And if you are a lady in your 50's, brown hair, white shirt w/ print who was visiting the museum today with 2 other ladies of the same age who snickered at a young mom wearing a Mariners shirt.... I hope your sewing machine eats every last one of your quilts!
    Hey, Momski...they're just jealous because you have it together enough to be a young mom and quilting...they probably couldn't deal with kids and quilting....

  19. #169
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    11
    Maybe it already is?? :-)

    May their tension be out of whack!

  20. #170
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gosnells Western Australia
    Posts
    1,022
    Very funny but very appropriate :thumbup: Thankfully I have only ever met lovely friendly people at our Quilt Shows

  21. #171
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,224
    That is just awful that that happened to you. I hate things like that. And you are right they do come is all shapes and sizes. I had taken classes at a local quilt shop and I couldn't believe the filthy mouths on some of those women. There is no reason for any kind of rudeness. If those women are on this list I hope they apologize to you.

  22. #172
    Junior Member QuiltingWithMissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lynchburg, Va.
    Posts
    105
    I once went to a quilt show in my local area and every one I meet wanted me to join their guild. I started looking at the quilts they had up to show. And 2 of the top ladies came around and was telling this and this. I was nice and said yes mam I know I like to quilt too. Both began to be very rude to me. They did not ask me did I know or did I have a question. I was ask later on this board why I did not go to a guild meeting with her. I told her why and that is the last time I heard from her also. Her is my thought if you want my money for your guild and to help you do and pay for something. Don't treat me nor talk to me like trash.

  23. #173
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,499
    sorry that happened to you but remember there are all kinds of people out there i have noticed that the majority of quilters that i have met are very nice !! maybe cause i have met most of them on here !
    i love your little quoate about hoping there machine eats there quilts that was funny i had to laugh

  24. #174
    Junior Member Derla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rochester, Minnesota
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Know what I think is really pathetic?

    That we get so upset about something like this! Was there any bodily harm done to anyone? Did anyone suffer any property damage?

    Are we always considerate as customers? Have we never, ever made an impatient comment about someone else in a public place?

    Read about what happened to trupeach's daughter (think it was her - rock dropped/thrown through a windshield)Where does it say that the tongue is sharper than a 2 edged sword??

    My nephew was just about killed when a bunch of thugs ganged up on him and kicked him in the head until he was unconscious. Reason? He got out of his pickup and threw it back at them after they threw something at his pickup! (this was at a gas station at 1:15 am)
    I am so sorry for your nephew and trupeach's daughter. However, that saying about sticks and stones and words can never hurt you is total BS! Look at all those kids lately that have committed suicide because of all the harsh words thrown their way. I know all about that personally! I was picked on, teased, and beat up constantly as a kid. Fortunately I never committed suicide, not that I didn't think about it, but I just never followed thru with it. The thing is, it's stuck with me all these years and sometimes still bothers me. Words can be like a double edged sword, very hurtful. I think they scar worse than physical wounds. Physical wounds you can see the scars from, mental, psychological and emotional scars can't be seen by the naked eye. But they are, nevertheless, there and just as bad, if not worse.!
    No, the sticks and stones thing is true. The thing is, the words can only have power over you if you let them. The only one in charge of whether your feelings are hurt is you.

    I think that is something we as a society have gotten away from. Teaching our kids how to deal with people who can hurt us, responsibly or even in a strong manner.

  25. #175
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gosnells Western Australia
    Posts
    1,022
    Quilterguy, you're more beautiful than I thought you were - have followed many of your messages on the board, and appreciate your comment today. I'm glad you have learned to live so capably with your, may I say, partial disability.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.