Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad and frustrated

Blog Entries
    Contact Billy on this QB. He knows and does a lot with vintage machines. I am sure he can help/advise you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary M
    I hope you guys will let me vent for I need something to get me picked up. I seen a Grace Machine Quilter [I think this is one of the first ones they made for a home sewing machine] advertised and went to see it during the week. I had been wanting to get something to make sandwiching and quilting easier for my bad back. The woman bragged it up and said it would be wonderful for a person with limitations like myself. It was taken apart so lots of parts to look at. The woman did tell me all the parts were there and told me to look it up on the internet to see what it looked like. I did, and then I decided I would buy it with assurance from the woman that she would come Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning to help me put it together. Saturday came and went and I thought I would start putting it together since I did have the instructions. I got as far as installing the tracks and discovered there were only two pieces of track but the assembly parts listed six.
    I emailed her letting her know that these parts were missing and would she bring them with her when she came Sunday mrning. Did not receive any response from that. Sunday morning came and still hadn't heard from her so around 10:00a.m. I called her to find out when she was coming, for sure. Tried both her cell no. and house no. but no one answered. I then waited until noon and tried again to contact her, but no answer so I left a message saying I would like to have my money refunded because not all the parts were there and with no one to help me put it together I wouldn't know if I had it right.
    Well about 2:00 she finally calls and acts all indignent about the matter and told me she was calling the cops because I had threatened her.! Ouch! I was so upset I could hardly speak. [she finally said she would come out. At first she said all the parts were there and then she says she used it with just the two tracks[one is a 60" and one is a 52".] She said I just had to move the tracks WHILE DOING THE QUILTING!! I reminded her that the parts list specifies 6 rails of varying sizes and it cannot be used without the tracks. She stomped and continued to say things that were not true. I wasn't going to argue with a crazy lady and it was clear to me she didn't give a hoot about screwing someone. I live alone and did not even feel safe with her. Now I know, I did some no no's such as paid her in cash, belived her when she said all the parts were there and belived she did intend to help me put it together...it wasn't in writing for I had mistakenly trusted her. I guess I am stupid to be that way, in this day and age of greed, but darn it why do some people have to be that way? I don't know what I will do next. I am supposed to be avoiding stress with recovering from cancer treatments. Will take a deep breath and hope this woman comes to her senses. Thanks for letting me vent. BTW does anyone have some extra tracks? :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Mary M
    I hope you guys will let me vent for I need something to get me picked up. I seen a Grace Machine Quilter [I think this is one of the first ones they made for a home sewing machine] advertised and went to see it during the week. I had been wanting to get something to make sandwiching and quilting easier for my bad back. The woman bragged it up and said it would be wonderful for a person with limitations like myself. It was taken apart so lots of parts to look at. The woman did tell me all the parts were there and told me to look it up on the internet to see what it looked like. I did, and then I decided I would buy it with assurance from the woman that she would come Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning to help me put it together. Saturday came and went and I thought I would start putting it together since I did have the instructions. I got as far as installing the tracks and discovered there were only two pieces of track but the assembly parts listed six.
    I emailed her letting her know that these parts were missing and would she bring them with her when she came Sunday mrning. Did not receive any response from that. Sunday morning came and still hadn't heard from her so around 10:00a.m. I called her to find out when she was coming, for sure. Tried both her cell no. and house no. but no one answered. I then waited until noon and tried again to contact her, but no answer so I left a message saying I would like to have my money refunded because not all the parts were there and with no one to help me put it together I wouldn't know if I had it right.
    Well about 2:00 she finally calls and acts all indignent about the matter and told me she was calling the cops because I had threatened her.! Ouch! I was so upset I could hardly speak. [she finally said she would come out. At first she said all the parts were there and then she says she used it with just the two tracks[one is a 60" and one is a 52".] She said I just had to move the tracks WHILE DOING THE QUILTING!! I reminded her that the parts list specifies 6 rails of varying sizes and it cannot be used without the tracks. She stomped and continued to say things that were not true. I wasn't going to argue with a crazy lady and it was clear to me she didn't give a hoot about screwing someone. I live alone and did not even feel safe with her. Now I know, I did some no no's such as paid her in cash, belived her when she said all the parts were there and belived she did intend to help me put it together...it wasn't in writing for I had mistakenly trusted her. I guess I am stupid to be that way, in this day and age of greed, but darn it why do some people have to be that way? I don't know what I will do next. I am supposed to be avoiding stress with recovering from cancer treatments. Will take a deep breath and hope this woman comes to her senses. Thanks for letting me vent. BTW does anyone have some extra tracks? :cry:
    I'm sorry this happened to you. You could take her to small claims court. She would open her big mouth and the judge would see her for what she is. I wish you lived near me in NY, I would gladly get the money beck for you. Believe me when I say that!!!

Mary I'm going to pray for your recovery none of this is worth what it may cost you in the end.Hugs and lots of blessings to you my dear Mary.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Mary, what an awful experience for you!
    You could perhaps try appearing at her house with all you received in the purchase, cell phone in hand, and call the police while there. Try to talk to her first; if she acts rude, withdraw and call the police because you feel threatened/intimidated. When they arrive, tell them how you have tried to resolve this and why your are trying to return the item to her since she wouldn't come to you. They will likely help you negotiate a solution with her even to the point of getting your monies back. She likely won't misbehave with police presence there. They won't arrest anyone, or force anyone, but they usually will negotiate a peaceful solution between parties.

If you are uncomfortable thinking of doing this, call your police department to consult first.
    I hope, for all those who come behind you, that you will not just accept the status quo and are able to find a way to assert your rights here. Best luck and encouragement winging your way!
    Jan in VA

Quote Originally Posted by amazon
    So sorry this has happened , maybe you can call and reason with her, suggest that maybe things have gotton off to a bad start. Suggest that it would be in both your interest to settle this in a satisfactory manner. If she is unreasonable after that , you gave it your best shot, tell her your turning this over to the DA's office or the sherriffs office for false advertising, she might listen to reason then. Hope this resolves quickly , and you are both happy :-D
    I to am sorry this happened to you, I agree with amazon. contact the (lady) and try to reason with her, if that fails send her a certified letter saying you will have her up for fraud and false advertizing and see how quickly she rights things. if that doesn't work go ahead and and talk to the sheriff and see what he/she can do, fraud is a criminal offence and she can be arrested.

try not to worry too much your health IS more important, so i hope this is resolved quickly for your sake and then you can sit down and relax,

I learnt to become a duck many years ago I also had to try to have a stress free life, now I deal with things and then put it to bed and try not to think about it anymore, it takes a bit of work to learn it but it is much better for you. I send healing thoughts your way

I'm so sorry. I pray it works out. I wish I could say we could always trust our fellow sisters and brother quilters but I've also learned we can't. It's gotten so when hear of someone doing something nice for some one else just because nothing for them selves, it makes me cry. The good news is we are there. There are good poeple. You can trust most of us. Sew please try not to let this one women take you down because then she has more then just your money. I also think you should contact the company and see what can be done. Well peace be with you. I hope you recover quickly and compleatly.

I am so sorry for your bad experience. Don't be hard on yourself. We all want to trust people. Especially quilters. I agree with the lady who said call Grace. Maybe they will help you.

I wish you the best.

Blog Entries
    I hope you can get the tracks that you need, get the machine set up and get back to what you wanted to do in the first place. As a general rule, I've always been one to "stand up" and wouldn't let anyone get away with something like this...but I tell ya'...with the crazy world, her knowing where you live and knowing that you live alone....I probably wouldn't mess with her..who knows..she could be really dangerous..not worth the chance to me. Just get what you need and stay safe...hard lesson unfortunately learned. I'm sending you hugs...wish I was closer..I'd come help you put it together and figure out how to get it up and running.

Email her again and tell her to come up with the product or that you will go on line with her full name, product and the complaint and if she wants to lose all the other sales that would not be smart on her part and then follow thru. Give her 48 hrs. Godd Luck quilting friend sorry for your troubles with this airhead!!Roz

I am very sorry that you have had such a rotton experience...There is always someone out there ready to take advantage of someone... But becareful what you write about a person - Sometime ago here in Alaska a girl bought something from ebay and it had to be put together and did not have instructions - she wrote a bad review and person she bought it from tryed to sue her for it -- So becareful this person does not sound very stable...Very Very Sad... I know that when I got my grace quilt frame one on the tracks was broken - I called them explained it and in a week or two I had two new tracks - The grace quilting people are really very nice....and Helpful. I hope this helps.. hope your day gets better...

Blog Entries
    I know what the world is like these days, but it never ceases to amaze me the gall of some people! They must never look in the mirror, for they surely wouldn't like what they see! It is really sad that you had such an awful experience with that creature. I wish I could help, but know nothing abt. quilting machines. It looks like others are giving you some good advice. I hope it works out well for you.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    bump
    What does "bump" mean?

i agree..it is just horrible..now what i would do is send her a registered letter stating that she has x number of days..lets say 10..to either bring you those parts or refund your money and if there is no respone she can expect to hear from your attorney..i;m not sure if you need this further aggrivation in your life now but a lesson well learnedand perhaps you can call the co up and get those parts needed..i wish you the best on this one

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhughson
    Sorry, but quilter's are like every other group of people. I've learned they can be con artists, swindlers, liars, cheats. Don't you all know about the stolen quilts? We would love to believe that quilters are only the best of people but they are people and therein lies the tale. I would not take chances with a crazy woman. Be careful especially since you are vulnerable. It sounded to me like she has your address. Pay cash for nothing in the future. Lesson learned.
    I couldn't agree more. I've had a couple of bad experiences that proved to me that quilters are just people like everyone else. There are many more good than bad, that's why the bad ones shock us so!
    And please, PLEASE don't deal in cash anymore. At least buying with a check allows you time to see if you've been conned or not. Don't ever send cash through the mail either. It's a big NO-NO!
    I also agree that you should not deal with this woman on your own again. She does sound crazy to me. Or at least just a bubble short of plumb. Get someone to help you with this.
    But try not to let her off the hook either. What she did was despicable.

:cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Marquilt
    Mary, I am so sorry you've had such a horrible experience. Perhaps the thing to do is to call the Grace Company and tell them what happened and order the missing parts and ask them if they can advise you on how to get some instruction about using it. This will cost you more money, but at least you will have a usable tool in the end. And you never know, perhaps they'll take pity on your predicament and cut you a deal. Worth a try.
    That's my suggestion too. Call the company. I have a full size Grace and love it. I ordered mine from the internet and any questions I had were answered immediately and with courtesy. The Grace is not hard to put together. Just follow the steps in the instructions one after the other. You might get a friend to help you for holding parts together while you put on screws. My friend helped me having no idea of what a long arm looked like. We set the whole thing up in one day. Be patient cause you'll love the results.

My biggest problem was trying to figure out which layer went on which roller. I think God short changed my brain in that department.

All you wonderful people have made me feel better and lets me know the world isn't without kind, caring, people. Yes, I am afraid of her. If you could have heard her talk you to might think she is not all there. There was no reasoning with her and it was one lie after another. I do believe a person like that should be stopped from taking advantage of another but the situation I am in I just don't feel strong enough to go after her. She probably screws others all the time and I can ony hope that someday she will meet her match. I did order the upgrade kit and I was also given a good suggestion from a wonderful lady. She said she had a frame like this and the track would make noise because it was set into the groove in several pieces. She said to go to Home Depot and check out the material that holds ceiling tile in place for she is using it with her frame. Pretty nifty idea, if it will work with this one.
    I truly appreciate all you gals advice and encouagment...you are the best of the best! Hugs to all of you. Will let you know how it all works out. I am really wanting to do some quilting. Mary

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I hope you can get the tracks that you need, get the machine set up and get back to what you wanted to do in the first place. As a general rule, I've always been one to "stand up" and wouldn't let anyone get away with something like this...but I tell ya'...with the crazy world, her knowing where you live and knowing that you live alone....I probably wouldn't mess with her..who knows..she could be really dangerous..not worth the chance to me. Just get what you need and stay safe...hard lesson unfortunately learned. I'm sending you hugs...wish I was closer..I'd come help you put it together and figure out how to get it up and running.

That is just terrible, some real nasty people in this world. I would do what the others say, advertise for what you are looking for, and/or call the company and see if they can help you

Thats terrible! All I have to say Mary is: karma - it does the job every time.

quilters as a rule seem to be the most honest around and then there is always that one..but don't go down without a fight she might just be counting on you not to say anything, also you might consider posting on whatever site you bought from about her business practices so she doesn' hang someone else out to dry..good luck.. you're not the stupid one..she is...

So sorry for your experience. It is such a shame that people are so indignant when they get caught in doing wrong. Especially since I am sure she did know there were missing parts. I would have been glad to give your money back, but then I am not that woman. She will meet her maker one of these days and have some explaining to do.

Mary, I am so sorry for all the trouble you have had with this woman. I don't know if anyone asked or you may not want to say, but how much did it cost for this Grace frame on Craig's list? I have dealt with family members and cancer treatment in the last couple of years, and I know your health is not worth all this. Maybe a guardian angel will come to help you put this frame together, when you get your kit. May you be quilting in no time. I will say a prayer for you and getting some help, which you deserve. You sound like a wonderful person. Hugs.............

Hugs from here too, it will work itself out. You have a lot of resources listed here, and on the Yahoo site. Someone will come up with the right thing to do. Hope all turns out well.

i am sorry to read about what has happened to you i dont know of any other way to help you other that what everyone else said but if i lived by you i would be the one to drive to the ladies house and stand up for you till it was made right !!
    i hate that when people take advantage of another person this is something that has always made me upset

have you called the police? that's what they're for. to help you when you need them and someone is bullying you. i wouldn't let her steal my money. it comes too hard to throw it away. it sounds all nice to tell someone to get past it, but you've been cheated and you deserve the money back. call the police, the tv stations, the better business bureau, anyone who'll listen. send someone's man, larger than smaller, around to her house when you know she's there to tell her you want the money back now. he should have the merchandise with him, prepared for the return. of course, she'll insist there's nothing wrong, the money is gone, blah, blah, blah.... tape it on a hidden recorder and go straight to the police.
    show them the stuff and the manual so they can see what's missing. ask them to take care of this. it's like a domestic disturbance. if she gets crazy, that's in your favor. i wouldn't wait another minute.

can't you call the police on her for selling stuff and lieing about it. Google or craigs list can and will do somethingabout it . it makes them look bad to have bad sellers on board. Good look

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast