Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandwiching on the floor is HARD. >

Sandwiching on the floor is HARD.

Sandwiching on the floor is HARD.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 AM

a lot of times you can call your quilt store and ask to do it on their tables. my local store I have to make an appointment and I take along my quilting fiiend and she help.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:57 AM

Our local library has meeting rooms with big tables. If they aren't booked, I use them. Just shove however many tables I need together and go to work. As far as doing the middle, I do the outsides first, then pull it toward me to do the middle. The outsides are already pinned or baisted so nothing is going to move.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Power Poster

I have a hard time crawling around on the floor too. It goes faster if you use basting spray.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 PM

I have a cutting table that opens up to about 4 feet in length...I mark the center of it and then mark the centers of each layer of the quilt sandwich and match up with the center marking on the table. I secure each layer as it is laid down (binder clips, etc.) and then either pin-or-thread baste it before quilting.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM

I have found you do not need to have multiple tables to baste or pin your quilts. It helps if you can get to a long table, but not necessary. Just layer the quilt, placing the middle on the table and be sure to smooth all layers together as you go - thus the entire quilt "sandwich" is evenly put together and smoothed. If it's easier, put "sandwich" together on the floor, then gently lift to table. Baste or pin from the center out in all directions. Then gently slide the quilt one direction, ensure it's still smooth, and continue with the basting & pinning. Repeat this until it's all basted or pinned. I travel full-time in an rv and use this method whenever I'm not up to the achy body from floor basting & pinning. Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
This free video will demonstrate a way to do it easily, without getting on the floor at all. Hope it helps:

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ing/index.html
These instructions are so worth viewing.
I agree! Very interesting technique!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

That would be worth a try.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Travelin
I have found you do not need to have multiple tables to baste or pin your quilts. It helps if you can get to a long table, but not necessary. Just layer the quilt, placing the middle on the table and be sure to smooth all layers together as you go - thus the entire quilt "sandwich" is evenly put together and smoothed. If it's easier, put "sandwich" together on the floor, then gently lift to table. Baste or pin from the center out in all directions. Then gently slide the quilt one direction, ensure it's still smooth, and continue with the basting & pinning. Repeat this until it's all basted or pinned. I travel full-time in an rv and use this method whenever I'm not up to the achy body from floor basting & pinning. Hope this helps.
Considering the limited space I have in my quilt room, this seems an ideal solution. I do have one question. Has anyone tried this method and entered quilts into juried shows & if so, how did it work? Did the quilts win anything or did the judges mark down for the backing/sandwiching? I know most people on this Forum say they make their quilts for use (so do I) and they don't enter shows, but I enjoy the challenge of entering shows and trying to win ribbons. I'm just a tad worried that the backs will get a crease or something similar and am looking for reassurance on this.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Originally Posted by Happy Travelin
Considering the limited space I have in my quilt room, this seems an ideal solution. I do have one question. Has anyone tried this method and entered quilts into juried shows & if so, how did it work? Did the quilts win anything or did the judges mark down for the backing/sandwiching? I know most people on this Forum say they make their quilts for use (so do I) and they don't enter shows, but I enjoy the challenge of entering shows and trying to win ribbons. I'm just a tad worried that the backs will get a crease or something similar and am looking for reassurance on this.
I have entered my quilts in a few shows and won some local shows and a state show. I never have any problems with this method because I make sure all is smooth as I go, so no little flaws in my sandwich. Additionally, I use a hoop to quilt and always remove my hoop when I'm finished for the evening. Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dancing Needle
Originally Posted by DebraK
Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
This free video will demonstrate a way to do it easily, without getting on the floor at all. Hope it helps:

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ing/index.html
These instructions are so worth viewing.
I agree! Very interesting technique!
I used Sharon Schamber's method and it worked beautifully. I'm in the midst of machine quilting my sister's quilt now, but my walking foot decided to "take a hike". Going to get another one after work today and continue quilting. I'll post a picture when done. I'm stitching in the ditch (or somewhere near the ditch). It's harder than it sounds with a queen-size quilt.