Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sandwiching woes >

sandwiching woes

sandwiching woes

Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Sandwiching is touch. I have found if the backing is ironed, no creases, the batting from dryer crease free. pin the top to the bottom two layers, flip, than re pin back.. it is a pain.. but so very important.

yes, Sandwiching woes.. every project.. worst with the large size of projects.

:(
Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
Sandwiching is touch. I have found if the backing is ironed, no creases, the batting from dryer crease free. pin the top to the bottom two layers, flip, than re pin back.. it is a pain.. but so very important.
:(
I'd wondered about doing it in 2 stages - would take ages, but quicker than all the unpinning and repinning that I face now!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:47 AM

Sandwiching is a tricky task. I try to do mine on my king sized bed, but sometimes the quilt is too big and requires the floor. I use spray basting and have found that sometimes I pull a bit too much on the batting when smoothing it out. If it stretches out when I smooth it out, then it will retract after sticking to backing and cause wrinkles on the backing fabric. The trick is to just let it "fall" over the backing all while smoothing at the same time....LOL. You may need to pull it up and let the backing retract a bit and then gently put back into place. Clear as mud, right?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:07 AM

I use my cutting table and clamps from Lowes hardware. Works great!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
Sandwiching is a tricky task. I try to do mine on my king sized bed, but sometimes the quilt is too big and requires the floor. I use spray basting and have found that sometimes I pull a bit too much on the batting when smoothing it out. If it stretches out when I smooth it out, then it will retract after sticking to backing and cause wrinkles on the backing fabric. The trick is to just let it "fall" over the backing all while smoothing at the same time....LOL. You may need to pull it up and let the backing retract a bit and then gently put back into place. Clear as mud, right?
No - very helpful -thankyou. You've reminded me that my bed is my other big space! But doesn't it have the same problem as a carpet - too much give?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Some great ideas here - thankyou. Unfortunately I don't have any walls that are big enough to take a quilt, and only the one floor - most of my rooms are very small. I'll have to see if I can think of another venue I could use. It's probably right that there's too much give in the carpet, though it doesn't have much of a pile. The weird thing is that until recently I never had any problems with sandwiching - I just did it and it was fine, but recent ones have all gone wrong.
Just in case, you might want to have a bit of a look at the pad under your carpet (may have worn out and have no give in it) and your subflooring (may have worn out and gotten squishy). The fact that you hadn't had any problems before suggests the possibility that something about your floor has changed and, sadly, that is rarely good news.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:24 AM

When I make my "sandwich" I try and remember to turn it over and smooth out the back as well. Sometimes I'm turning it back and forth but so far no puckers.

Good luck!