Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Santa please send me a Bernina Embroidery Machine >

Santa please send me a Bernina Embroidery Machine

Santa please send me a Bernina Embroidery Machine

Old 11-24-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Missi
Thank You!!!!!!!!! Everyone's advice has been soooo helpful!

Maybe I can talk Santa into going to the Bernina shop on Black Friday :) Think they have a door buster deal at 5am?
Check it out first. Our dealer is closed Thursday and Black Friday. But I know they have great sales going on.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Bernina is having a special St. Nicholas Day Celebration Sale on December 5th only, but I like someone else, threw my flyer away since I don't need to buy another machine.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:56 PM

I bought my Janome 300E used off of an ebay add but from a local person who dropped it off and it is working fine and I am very happy with the $600 I saved. I have since talked to other home embroidery people and find that many of them would like to upgrade their machine to a new model but the dealer either won't take a trade in or the trade in offer is too low. You may want to check with your local dealer if they know of anyone interested in selling a machine or if there is a local embroidery group, get the word out that you are looking.

Craigslist could be an option to look for people who are interested in selling their machine, which you could then see and try out locally and not blindly over the internet. You could also consider what we do with used car purchases, take it into a technicial to get it cheaned and serviced to have them kick the tires to see if it is working correctly.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Missi
Lesley - can I ask why you went with the 730E over the 640E? I see that the BSR is standard with the 730 but an option on any of the 600 series and there are a few other things that are options versus standard. The 730 also has more built in stitches am I correct there? Thanks for you help and input!!!!
Sorry to be so long getting back to you. Yes, the 730 has a lot more stitches on it, and a MUCH bigger screen. Since this was my first computerised machine, and I had just retired, I pushed the boat out and went for all the bells and whistles. The 730 came with the embroidery module here, whereas with the 640 that wasn't standard, you had to buy it as an extra. I know this as a friend and I went to Dublin together. I got mine, and she bought the 640 without the emb. module. She wishes now that she had paid the extra and got it, as she has seen everything I do on mine, but she had an emb. module with her older Bernina, and had never taken it out of the box!

I figured that I was only ever going to be able to buy the one more sewing machine, so went right to the top - this one will have to last me for as long as I can keep sewing, as far as I am concerned. The dealer wouldn't take my old Bernina 1260 in part exchange, so I kept it, and use it about half the time. If I only want to piece a few things, the older machine gets used, partly because I don't have to wait for it to boot up. The newer machine gets used all the time for the BSR and embroidery, plus piecing if I am in the mood. I have both set up ready to go, one in a Horn cabinet, the other in a SewEzi table - Bliss.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lanagan
I have the Bernina 640 with embroidery and love it. I wouldn't buy 2nd hand off of ebay. They just had to replace my LCD screen which would have been expensive if it wasn't under warranty so that's why I would be direct from a Bernina dealer. They usually offer free classes to learn as well.
Me too! I agree, buy from a dealer not ebay!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 PM

Just picked up my new 830 bernina today,tradedin my 400QE, it looks like it will be a fabulous machine, You are never too old to learn all the stuff on one of these machines, I am 75 and can't wait to get my hands on it , ,but have to wait until after Thanksgiving ,gotta bake pies tomorrow it is all new to me , 5 years warranty on the electronics and 25 on the machine , can't beat that,gotta go ove 200 miles to Flagstaff to have it serviced but you can do a lot of the services and cleaning your self, I clean my machne every time I run out of bobbin, I have an old 930 machine that I would never part with, Paid $1300.00 for it and was offered $1,000.00 it last week, still runs like a charm.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 PM

My personal advice is not to buy anything like that from E-Bay. They are too complicated to not need the classes and the last time I asked, they were over $300 at local shops. There are always used ones at the shops when new ones come out and they have been checked out and are in good shape. They are awsome machines and a lot of money so make sure you cover yourself in every way. My shop is #135 just for yearly tune-ups.
good luck.

Peg-tx :lol:
Old 11-24-2009, 10:30 PM

I have to tell you...
I wouldn't buy a Bernina...
I would buy a Pfaff, A Viking, A Brother, A BabyLock...
They just seem to hold up better, be user friendly...etc...
Just my 2 cents or stiches
Kirsten
Old 11-25-2009, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Campbell34
Just picked up my new 830 bernina today,tradedin my 400QE, it looks like it will be a fabulous machine, You are never too old to learn all the stuff on one of these machines, I am 75 and can't wait to get my hands on it , ,but have to wait until after Thanksgiving ,gotta bake pies tomorrow it is all new to me , 5 years warranty on the electronics and 25 on the machine , can't beat that,gotta go ove 200 miles to Flagstaff to have it serviced but you can do a lot of the services and cleaning your self, I clean my machne every time I run out of bobbin, I have an old 930 machine that I would never part with, Paid $1300.00 for it and was offered $1,000.00 it last week, still runs like a charm.
Campbell - Ohhhh you are so lucky! I drool over the 830 everytime I see it, but would have to sell one of my grown children or take out a second mortgage on the house to get one. :wink: Enjoy your new toy!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Campbell34
You're going to LOVE your new 830. I've had mine since March and it is unreal what all it's capable of. I've taken 6 days off of work to take classes on how to use it and I'm sure I still don't know everything. I really liked my 730, and am amazed at the improvements on the 830 embroidery. Have fun with your new machine. And you are right about age. One of the ladies in my 830 class is 80, and she runs circles around us younger gals! She is such an inspiration.