Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them? >

Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them?

Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them?

Old 11-18-2012, 03:12 PM

I just bound one today, 108" X 139". I don't know what I was thinking when I made it so big. I love scrappys made with 5" charms. This is for my grandson & his wife.
Attached Thumbnails img_0853.jpg  
Old 11-18-2012, 03:56 PM

I love scrappy quilts. I was working on one last Jan. It was scrappy and a mystery. I was putting it together and I really hated the individual pieces. When I finished it I loved it. .
Old 11-18-2012, 04:26 PM

I love making scrappy quilts! I am trying to make a themed quilt for each of my 14 grandchildren, and all I keep thinking about is getting back into my scrap pile!!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Once I spent 3 months making a quilt where I carefully bought the 25 colors and so carefully selected the placement of the colors, cut in diamonds with no sashing, for just the precise look that I wanted - and one of my daughters-in-law saw it and said "Oh, a scrappy." I put the quilt away and haven't looked at it since. I felt so insulted. Not sure why.

Just remember scrappy is NOT crappy!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 PM

I don't like them much as they just look to busy and cluttered for my tailored and organized personality! Sounds stupid I know but I am an over organizer too! But....I am planning on making one...I can't bare to waste fabric and have been stocking my stash of scraps and cut them into sizes etc..so after the first of the year I am going to attempt one. Maybe I will learn to like them, but at the moment plan on making them and donating them to charity......just cause I don't like the pattern, doesn't mean no one else does! And I have to have homes for the ones I make... Ican't keep them all anyway!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:44 PM

Scrappy girl here. I think the same 6-10 fabrics are boring - capital B. The more fabrics the better. I do like color controlled scrappies.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

I heard a long time ago that when making scrappy quilts your eye might see some colors that clash if they are next to each other and this may happen but if you move one of those pieces just a few patches away, they will co- habitate very nicely together.

When I lay out a scrappy pattern and see one color that may look to strong or bright, I add a few more pieces around it that may have some of the same color in it but in a slightly softer shade works to tone the bright one down and also the bright color can be neutralized by adding the color next to it on the color wheel.

If you have a bright green find a scrap that is either blue green or yellow green to place next to it. This causes a blending effect.

I don't know all the color rules o rhow I pick pieces to go next to each other. I tend to use all colors in all tonesa nd shades right next to each other. I don't know if anyone else likes this look but I do.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t204454.html

Peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 11-18-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 PM

I love scrappy quilts for several reasons. If you run out of one fabric, just pick a similar one from your stash. You can use all those little pieces of fabric left over from other quilts. I just love the look. The only bad side for me is having to drag out all those little pieces of fabric or lots of large pieces, cutting and them having to put them all away again.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 PM

I love scrappies! I never think twice about what color is laying next to the other. They just work! I truly think I love them because that is the way a lot of people made quilts years ago. They used what they had. Yep, reminds me of those old quilts from days gone by...actually I have some of those my Aunts made. Now those were very colorful and talk about not blending!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM

not a fan of scrappy quilts but have seen a couple of 'controlled scrappies' that I liked.