Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them? >

Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them?

Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them?

Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 PM

hate scrappy, im to matchy matchy
Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 AM

I love scrappy and have learned thru the years that everything goes together if it's random enough. Guess I have no issues with throwing caution to the wind! LOL!!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:53 AM

LOVE scrappys and wish I could get finished with all the 'planned' quilts so that I could work on scrappys more! I really don't see any end to the 'planned' ones though....
Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 AM

Scrappy is my favorite! That is all I really like making.. I love fat quarters and that helps with my scrappiness
Old 11-19-2012, 04:19 AM

Scrappies are so fun! Sometimes I do "planned" scrappy quilts of valor with the reds, blues and neutrals without regard as to what prints they are, etc. I just mix up the fabrics. Sometimes I use focus fabrics to tie them together. I get to try out fun and easy patterns, too.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:35 AM

I think scrappies are fun, throw your scraps in a bag & just reach in and grab one then keep going like that don't try laying them out that runs the fun. Happy Scrapping, also have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 AM

I love, love, love scrappies and rag quilts. For me scrappy is just that...taking scraps of any sized and sewing it together without rhyme or reason. The first two I made were exactly that and everyone that has seen it loved it although for most of them it wasn't something they could wrap there brains around. I did not try to match colors and such. I just took pieces of all shapes and sizes and sewed it together. I did the same with the second to fourth one.

As time went by I started taking some of them and cutting them into blocks which allowed me to create other scrappies in other shapes. I've used some of these sewed scrappies and created patchwork animals such as dogs, cats, butterflies and more to use in appliques.

Regarding the rag quilts that is also a favorite of mine and I have to date every rag die Accuquilt has for the GO and Studio and I have been experimenting with stitching different designs on those various blocks rather than have just an X through them. I also love to use various varigated and other color threads in creating these. Since there are so many shapes of rag quilt blocks I try to create one of a kind quilt using these different block sizes. I also have the circle rag die which has so many ways to create more than just a circle rag quilt.

My goal in 2013 is to design and create as many different types of rag quilts that I can come up with. I have in mind to do a bargello rag quilt and hope to during the holiday season to start cutting retangles for that one.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:47 AM

I like controlled scrappy. Not too much of a control freak!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 AM

Scrappy is my passion! I usually have a pattern in mind - and sometimes change it at the last minute - but scrappy is all I do, and I do it very well!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 AM

Scrappy quilts are by far my favorite! I just love a colorful old fashioned quilt but the layout of all the colors is does take some time and thought...