Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them? >

Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them?

Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Once I spent 3 months making a quilt where I carefully bought the 25 colors and so carefully selected the placement of the colors, cut in diamonds with no sashing, for just the precise look that I wanted - and one of my daughters-in-law saw it and said "Oh, a scrappy." I put the quilt away and haven't looked at it since. I felt so insulted. Not sure why.
Good Grief!! I think I would probably have put the DIL away and kept the quilt out to enjoy!

To me, 'scrappy' refers to the random arrangement of fabrics, not the number or source of those fabrics. It's the unplanned, haphazard placement that makes a quilt scrappy.

You can precisely and intentionally arrange pieces of multiple different fabrics previously used in other quilts, technically called scraps, and the result will not be a 'scrappy' quilt. Chances are, such a quilt will not even look scrappy to anyone but the occasional DIL.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 AM

I love scrappy quilts. I rarely follow a pattern anymore. A friend gives me her scraps and I design a quilt around them, and I buy scraps (hate to admit that) and design from there. I'm hooked!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 AM

Right now, this one is driving me nuts!! It is a strip block and I am trying to follow directions from a book. I will do this if it kills me! I am a relatively new quilter and boy! right now, I sure know it! Watch for the obit - for either the quilt top or me!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 AM

I love scrappy quilts--the more unplanned the better. I have done string and crumb quilts which have no plan--as well as scrappy pickets and more "planned" scrappys. My favorites are the string and crumb ones. Will soon start a scrappy one that is postage stamps.........I like working with LITTLE pieces of colors, and putting two colors of similiar color isn't a problem for me it's the way it comes out, I just sew the next block to the next and it makes it.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 AM

I'm not a fan. I love art quilting more than traditional. I do both but I love drawing my own patterns and most of them are applique.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 AM

I love scrappy quilts for no other reason but to get rid of baskets of fabric scraps that are everywhere.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 AM

this is my technique. I love, love, love, love scrappies and I don't control anything. I sew the scraps as they come out of the bin, and quilting should be fun.

Originally Posted by mtnmama View Post
I like scrappy quilts also but sometimes struggle with not having all the same colors together. However, I have found that trying to place and replace blocks usually ends up being too tedious. Just throw them out there and sew the rows together and it looks great. Quilting should be fun, don't stress about it.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 AM

I love scrappy quilts! I have to at least control the placement of lights and darks. They are more work though because I'm cutting out of odd shaped/sized scraps so no strip cutting!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by echoemb View Post
this is my technique. I love, love, love, love scrappies and I don't control anything. I sew the scraps as they come out of the bin, and quilting should be fun.
Somehow the idea is coming across that the careful, time consuming placement of colors and fabrics is not fun. How odd! That's like telling a painter that he shouldn't select the colors he paints with, but just use whatever he puts his hands on - and fewer people like those canvases than like the ones that are figurative art. Purple faces with orange noses and black lips aren't usually that popular. Art in our quilts is different than art on our canvases for many of us, I guess.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM

I love your quilt it is very beautiful and I love scrappy quilts.