Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: selling fabric

selling fabric

I have no idea how to go about pricing, I have filed several bags (like bath and body) full of scraps and others in bundles, any ideas as to how you would go about pricing, also lots of patterns and books etc. any ideas would really be appreciated
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-19-2015 at 10:26 AM.

You could do some researching for selling on eBay. Unfortunately, most shoppers are looking for bargains. You need to achieve a senior member status to sell here on this board and there are numerous rules and regulation for selling here. Good Luck !
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Why don't you check the buy sell section of this quilting board--several people sell fabric here and if you don't have enough posts to qualify for selling here, at least it will give you an idea of pricing to the public.

Pricing fabric can be a tricky thing. There are a couple things to consider: where the fabric was purchased, how much you paid for the fabric, and quality (lesser quality fabric can be purchased everywhere). You want to get the most $$, but still be able to sell it. I would think most times, you could sell it at half the price you paid....but that would also depend on your area and how many quilters you think you could get to look at your fabric. Books and patterns I would price at 50% off retail for anything in good shape (I can buy used books at Amazon for 50% off). A well used book/pattern with dog eared corners and writing I would price at 75% of retail. There are simply lots of variables to pricing quilting things....no clear cut answers.

Blog Entries
    If you have a local guild you might want to check with them, sometimes they have ( yard sales) for members to shop- or you could let them know you will be having a ( quilting fabric, supplies sale) and invite them. They may be willing to put a little ad in their newsletter
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Maybe Craig's List or a de-stash via Instagram?

I have no idea, I have no intentions of selling any of my fabrics. My Daughter and Granddaughter will have to do it after I'm gone.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    if you have time, you might consider e-bay.

I have had people balk at even paying the shipping for free stuff

If you are considering selling by mail - buy a postage scAle - you can get one fairly reasonably through USPS - do not short yourself on recoveriNg shipping costs.

If people moan at shipping costs - so be it. It costs most people something to go to a srore to shop.

Also, Do not ever short a customer. 35 inches is not a yard. Give accurate descriptions.

((((patsy40))))
    I have a friend who did the same thing a few years ago, she decided writing was more important than quilting.
    She has written three books since then, I'm so proud of her, I proofed the first one which was interesting and fun.
    In return
    I paid the postage on a medium priority post box and got her 1800 reproductions, I was thrilled.

Do you have any friends that sew, maybe you could barter something, like Cindy and I did?

Since zero responses are allowed on the fabric selling forum here, you can't even begin to guess if anything is selling at any price.

I have parted out two quilters estates on ebay, it is a ton of work to sell fabric, bundles take less time, but also make less money. Sadly our stashes are a bit like new cars, once the fresh fabric is out of the shop it has little value to anyone else.

Best wishes, and I do hope you aren't leaving quilting for a sad reason, but a happy one. Sharyn

If you are selling to another quilter you might be able to get a better price than you would at a regular yard sale. I've purchased fabric for as little as $1 for a big bag full and as much as $20 for an undetermined amt of yardage on a 58" roll of drapery fabric.

Check the quilting fabric listings at Ebay and Etsy. At Ebay, you can select to see the "sold" listings, so you know what is selling, and for how much. Etsy is a little more difficult - you can see the active listings, and you can see what someone has sold but not the price it sold for. Typically, crafting and sewing supplies sell for more on Etsy than on Ebay, but in my experience, Ebay sells faster.

If you go that route, I second the recommendation that you be accurate - and I mean really, really accurate - in your description and take good pictures. Some buyers will use any excuse to get a refund and if they say the item wasn't as described, you have to pay to have it shipped back to you, so you're out shipping both ways.

I've never had much luck with CL, but that may also be an option.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieW8 View Post
    Check the quilting fabric listings at Ebay and Etsy. At Ebay, you can select to see the "sold" listings, so you know what is selling, and for how much. Etsy is a little more difficult - you can see the active listings, and you can see what someone has sold but not the price it sold for. Typically, crafting and sewing supplies sell for more on Etsy than on Ebay, but in my experience, Ebay sells faster.

If you go that route, I second the recommendation that you be accurate - and I mean really, really accurate - in your description and take good pictures. Some buyers will use any excuse to get a refund and if they say the item wasn't as described, you have to pay to have it shipped back to you, so you're out shipping both ways.

I've never had much luck with CL, but that may also be an option.
    Even when the description was accurate, one can get a buyer that will be unpleasant just because he/she can be.

I regularly search craigslist looking for garage sales which feature quilting products. I've also purchased scraps via etsy, so those are both good options. Good luck with your sale.

How do you obtain different membership status?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    How do you obtain different membership status?
    By participating on the board. The more your participate your status changes.

Maybe check with a guild.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    By participating on the board. The more your participate your status changes.
    I checked and the OP has been a member here a long time, so really, unless things have changed, all she would have to do is start posting more and in a couple of weeks she could sell here. (That is how it used to be anyway...since she's not a new member.)

I recently had a garage sale for moving. I also had bags of scraps. I put them into zip lock bags, (1 and 2 gallon size) I got three and four dollars a bag. I did put strips and block together and them misc scraps too. All but one bag did sell. Good luck, and just remember people are always looking for deals, and if you want them to sell, price them low.

Blog Entries
    I agree with de-stash Instagram.

Blog Entries
    I agree with jingle I had thought about selling mine then with todays prices and all of mine is out of quilt shops so is good fabric and I decided no way then I checked out pattern prices and decided I would keep mine especially after I saw one pattern priced at 45.00 dollars and I could take some of my patterns and or magazines mix and match and come up with almost the same thing I keep hoping to run into a young person who would like to quilt and can't afford it I would just give it to her and help her get started

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    I checked and the OP has been a member here a long time, so really, unless things have changed, all she would have to do is start posting more and in a couple of weeks she could sell here. (That is how it used to be anyway...since she's not a new member.)
    You can read the rules that are posted for selling on this site:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...g-t169124.html
    The staff of this board wants quilters to be an active participant on this site. You need to have a Senior member status not on how long you have been a member here.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

In my neck of the woods, older fabric is often sold for $1.00 a yard or $3 a pound depending on how you would prefer to measure.

Power Poster
    There are approximately four yards of regular width quilting fabric in a pound.

I've seen:
    power posters
    super posters, and now I know there are senior members.
    In what order do you gain status?
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Power Poster
    After an ad has been approved, the thread is locked - which means that nothing more can be added to it.

So the buyer has to send the seller a pm (personal/private message) and the seller has to respond via pm (personal/private message).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast