Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling Potholders? and other quilty questions >

Selling Potholders? and other quilty questions

Selling Potholders? and other quilty questions

Old 09-15-2009, 08:31 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

thats the word I was looking for ----Insul Brite------thanks Tinks mom. Also I did not bind mine either, I just turn them inside out & do some decorative or stitch in the ditch on them. Sometimes I put a little loop in the corner or middle so they can hang them if they want to.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 AM

By Binding, I didn't mean doing hand sewing, I totally agree that is a waste of time. I think for these at least, I will put for display only, use at your own risk, until I can get some of the things that you all talked about.
I have some panels I can use as well, for potholders. I have about a week or so, until the farmers market, so not much time!
The pineapple block actually doesn't take much time, as I am making a twin quilt, (they are 7 inches) and so I'm getting a lot of practice making them.
The quilting does not take long either.
I'm not expecting to make a lot, and most of my fabric is things I got fairly cheaply, so I don't have a lot of cost involved.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Well I make my living so to speak from selling hot pads. They are my number one seller at the store I sell to.

I tried doing the shows in the park and did'nt do too well there. I didn't sell much at the farmer's market as most were just interested in the food.

AS for price. I sell mine to the store for $7.50 and she sells it for $14.95 to the public. This will vary depending on the locale where you are selling.

You do need to balance how much it is really worth by how much you want to sell it. I sell mine way far less than I should but she has the customers and I don't so it is a trade off.

You need to be in a place that attracts the right kind of people. If you are in a place that is not frequented by people who are interested in quilts then your stuff will not be valued and will not sell well there. But if you get into a show that brings in people who are craft minded you will sell better.

You can check around and see if there are stores that are willing to buy or at least let you display your work for sale. I don't much care for doing the on commission type of selling. I feel like my stuff is tied up and I could be selling it to the store I sell to. But this works for some people.

I had thought of approaching the gift shop at the hospitals to see if she would buy keychains or coasters or other small things.I think a small Dollie quilt might be of interest or a newborn quilt that isn't too expensive. Keep in mind they will need to add their percentage to the price and the end needs to be reasonable for the customer or it won't sell.

If you have any gift shops in the area talk to them and see if they would be interested in buying. There are antique malls here that allow for people to set up an area to sell their things. These aren't antique but the quilting fits into that world pretty easily.

Just a few words of advice: things I have learned over the last 11 years of selling to the public.

1 make sure you have no raw edges unless the raw edge is on purpose as in rag quilting
2. Iron things well so they present well
3 optional but highly recommended-- spray with sizing and make the product stiff so it hangs well and shows up well
4. quality makes or breaks a product- don't make yourself crazy over this but it is important to have straight seams and the overall look is good

I had an older friend who did some interesting projects but the quality of her work was awful! She would have ragged edges where it was supposed to look finished off and her stitching looked like a child did it haphazardly.

I am not passing judgment just exressing a thought of warning to be aware of. My mom always showed me where I could do better and I now make things with this maxim in mind: Quality before quantity always!

Hope this helps! Rhonda
Old 09-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Oh yeah I forgot to say I use traditional batting 2 layers. The traditional is more closely woven and not so fluffy! Then I do the SITD around the design.

I have a tutorial on my web site that shows how I make my hotpads.

http://www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com/pages/HotPad.php
Old 09-15-2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
When I make potholders I use warm & natural cotton batting along with batting made for potholders and such(can't think of the name right off). It has a silver coating on one side. The silver coating should face the wrong side of the top cotton fabric. I use 100% cotton thread. The thermo batting can be purchased at Wal-Mart or JoAnns. For the best deal use the 40% coupon at JoAnns or watch for when they go on sale for 50% off.
Thanks for the information on where the silver part of the Insul-Brite should go. I never knew where to place it so I was really happy finding your instructions.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:10 PM

I wish this thread had started Friday before I did my potholders! One hour? Ha! Took me the whole weekend. LOL And yes I hand sewed the binding on. Oh well, live and learn. I guess this makes my labor around 45 cents an hour! :roll: Well mine were for family not profit.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:27 PM

i found this pattern for pot holders and it takes about 10-15 minutes to make not counting the cutting which doesn't take very long either. and i think they're cute, they could sell for less and u'd still make a profit. i make them to give as a little stocking stuffer gift.

quick n easy potholder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]45031[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-45031.jpe  
Old 09-21-2009, 06:42 AM

Only use warm and natural batting and Insulbrite insulation for the pot holders.
The poly bat will not only melt, but burn you good.

Have a great quilty day,

simple quilter
Old 09-21-2009, 12:10 PM

I use old sweaters - felted wool - for the batting, and I sell them for $20-$25 for a pair. I use a binding and machine stitch it in place.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

Insulbrite is suppose to be layered with batting and that makes the potholder too stiff for me. The potholder is not flexible to bend like I like it. I found the thin silver heat proof fabric at an fabric/upholstery shop. It was much cheaper then the Insulbrite. I like that much better, used with the batting it doesn't add any thickness.

I would do as others say and don't sew on binding. Turn and top stitch. $5 will probably be the best price for good heat resistant utility pot holder. You could have quality fabric designer pot holders and utility pot holders. That way you'd have a wider range of customers.