Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewed my finger today!!  Have you ever done this???? >

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by materialgrl
Yes,did that,only I am up to date on my tetenus shot,so I put antibiotic creme and bandaid and I was good.It sure does hurt though.I sat there for a few seconds just looking at it,not believing I did that. Kinda wish I had the 4 cute paramedics to come though,that sounds great.LOL

Now that you have hurt yourself even though you were up to date on the shots it is time for a booster. Because you are up to date just means that you do not have to get the shot within the first 24 hours or so of the injury. At least that is what my dr told me the last time I get hurt with a metal object ( and no it was not a needle or a rotary cutter it was a nail from a project that only scratched me but it was rusty).
Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 AM

Never gone through a finger with a sewing machine but have been sewing running stitches on garments and pastchwork and moved fabric to find |I have been sewing my finger into the material.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 AM

ohhh yes i have done that except i had to slowly back the needle out of my finger i didnt jerk it out like you did , aweeee and it just so happens i had gotten a tetnus shot a year ago !!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 AM

Yup! Hurts like mad. Even broke the needle. Get well soon!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 AM

I did that while quilting a king size quilt, so I don't envy your pain. It healed pretty quickly, but was awfully sore for a while. No infection, but the nail on that finger is still not growing correctly. Sorry for your mishap
Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 AM

Yep, when I was 14 years old (eons ago, lol!). I was making a light green fitted pique blouse (see how well I remember this incident - ha!) and I stitched right through the side of my left hand middle finger with a good 'ole Singer treadle. I turned the handle and brought the needle back up, washed and bandaged it and went back to sewing 'cause I just "had" to get it done - some cute boys were coming to visit! (Smiles) Never thought about tetanus in those days, nor going to the doc, and frankly, I don't even think I told my mother about it. Hope your finger heals quickly and well. I felt the pain every time I read the posts in this thread. Oh, My! I guess I was lucky just stitching through the side and not through the fingernail itself.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 AM

I actually have done this three times! Last time was just before Christmas when I had a ton of sewing to do. I got a tetnas shot and put a bandaid on and was fine. It does quit hurting eventually!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 AM

Yes when I was in high school - but only once!
I sewed through the nail and then used the wheel to back it back out!

Course I caught my finger in the wringers of the old wringer washer machine a few times, too...
Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 AM

I have done this with my sewing machine and a longarm quilt machine. Yes, it did get infected because I did not get all the needle out. Went to doctor and they were able to dig in it and remove the rest of the needle. Funny thing about when a needle breaks in your finger, it splinters. Be sure to soak in epsom salt if can, that will help with no infection and draw out any other remnants of the needle. Use the anitbiotic over the site with a bandaid to hold it in there. It will take a few days, but all will heal up quickly. Have fun.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 AM

OW! OW! OW! my fingers are tingling thinking about it. No or should I say --not yet!