Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing on a cruise >

Sewing on a cruise

Sewing on a cruise

Old 09-16-2017, 09:30 AM

You should do what you enjoy. If you want to stay in your room and sew part of the day, you should do so. I don't go on cruises because I can't stand the thought of being surrounded by people all the time. For me, vacations are about lots of quiet time. I get enough being very sociable with other people in my job.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:35 AM

I haven't been on a cruise either, but I do take my camp trailer to the State Fair each year. I love being able to go out and enjoy the shows and attractions, then go back to my trailer to see when I'm tired of the fair. It's ok to do what you enjoy on your vacation. I do recommend a light weight machine. Even a cheap $100 Walmart Brother if you don't already have a travel machine.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

If it were me, I would bring some light weight handwork. Maybe a sock to knit, or some hand embroidery. But not a whole bunch of machine sewing. The cruise would be all about having a change of pace, to me, and I wouldn't feel I got my money's worth if I stayed holed up in my cabin room. Even if I just sat on deck and looked at the ocean.... However, that's ME, and you need to do what you like. Borrow someone's featherweight or get a small portable if you take a machine. You will have SO MUCH other stuff to haul onboard.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Nine days is a lot of sea days but I'm sure the Cruise line is prepared for that. There should be lots of classes and fun things to do that aren't drinking or gambling. I too would take handwork and load up an e reader with lots of selections. My favorite place on a cruise to sit is outside on the non sun side.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:25 PM

You want to be careful about exposing your machine to too much humidity, and usually, electrical outlets in your cabin are few and located in out-of-the-way places. That said, if i had a balcony suite, sitting out there stitching on sea days sounds heavenly! Handwork might be a more practical option.....have fun! If you are going to Maui, I hope you are renting a car and driving the Road to Hana!
Old 09-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Never been on a cruise and have no desire. We don't travel, did that when we were younger.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:17 AM

I usually take what ever hand project I have going on. I find I make a friends easier, because people will stop and ask what I am doing and it does not take long to find another quilter to sit with. And unless you have a suite on the ship, there is just no room to set up a sewing nest. Enjoy your cruise!!
Old 09-17-2017, 04:45 AM

I went on a quilting cruise and would not do it again. I am paying for the ships amenities and to be in a windowless room most of the time is not for me. I went on another cruise and took books and sat on the balcony and read and watched the scenery, Alaska. Take handwork.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:21 AM

I agree with others. I would take handwork and a couple of books. You are paying way too much money to go on a cruise to spend it sewing in a room somewhere. There has to be plenty of activities on the boat. The cruise lines are prepared for this cruising time. Have fun, talk to others etc.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:53 AM

Check the cruise line's web site to see the layout of the room to make sure you have space to set up s machine. I have been on a cruise in an upgraded room and there was no room to put a machine. Would you also bring an iron and something to press on? And will the room be able to handle a machine and an iron? What about bringing all your tools and fabric? Sounds like a lot to me. I am going on a retreat and have to bring everything but an iron because they overload the circuits. Just a few thoughts.