Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide! >

Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide!

Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:50 AM

JANOME Love these machines!!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:55 AM

I love my babylock!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 AM

I have a Pfaff 7550 that I have had for over 15 years. I have it serviced once in awhile and it works like it did when I bought it. I use it for everything including FMQ which really does a number to the machine. If I were to go out and buy a new one tomorrow I think I would look at Bernina or Janome.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
Just try buying a $10,000.00 machine and have the same short life and poor support facing you. I have decided that I will never again buy a machine that can't "pay for its self" within 6 months. I paid $780 to try to get it fixed and it was still faulty. Problem is that these days, I think there is a built in obsolescence to anything we buy and therefore we should not over - capitalise or we become sorry.
Unless you are sewing as a profession, how in the world could a sewing machine ever pay for itself?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 AM

Me too! The Bernina shop I take mine too (when I need to!) are fantastic!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:36 AM

I was in your same shoes a few months ago, I have owned almost every brand of sewing machine in my 30+ years of sewing. In the last couple years I have had 4 sewing machines and was so discouraged, I just wanted a sewing machine that would sew anything, and sewed perfect stitches. One of them was a high end Brother that I had really researched, and had great reviews, but it set up on me after sewing on it three times, and I was only sewing burp clothes at the time. After making the 2 hour (one way) trip to the dealer a couple times, I finally didn't bring it home again, as it never sewed right after the first mishap. I settled for a Brother SE400 (as I was in the middle of a quilt for my daughter-in-laws's baby shower in a couple weeks, I was embroidering sock monkeys on the blocks and needed a brother machine to finish the project), and I have to say that that machine is pretty impressive for the price, it does really nice embroidery, but at Christmas time I was sewing paint smocks for my grandsons on waterproof material and it would keep skipping stitches, (now you can expect that from a cheaper machine, but not a high end one.) So I started researching again, and after reading such great reviews on this site and patternreview.com about the Juki 600, I looked into the machine, but was still not sure, I thought that I wanted to try another Viking, I say another, because I had owned a top of the line years ago, but it was in the shop more than my house, I finally traded it in for a Bernina, and that was a nice machine, but I never really bonded with that machine, I had it for years, but never really loved, it, (I actually sold it to buy the high end Brother.) Well before I purchased the Juki I called two different shops (there are no dealers within 100's of miles so I had to buy it online) I asked both what they recommended, (I didn't tell them I was interested in the Juki) I told both that I wanted a machine that would sew anything, and I wanted perfect stitches, both without missing a beat stated a Juki 400 or 600, and since the price was almost the same, I went with the Juki 600 because of the added options. And I have to say it is the best machine I have ever owned, it sews beautiful, and it is the quietest machine I have ever sewed on. I am in love!!!! I purchased it from Ken's Sewing Center and they have been wonderful, they threw in extra needles, bobbins and a Juki book, but best of all the machine is just perfect for me. I have never had a machine that I loved as much as this one. I wish you luck in your search, I hope in the end you are as happy with your machine as I am with mine.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 AM

There is a Bernina Yahoo group that is very helpful and friendly. It is called BerninaThirtySomethings. You can join it and there are a couple of guys on there that are qualified techs and are full of information. Also if you have a problem, believe me someone else has had the same one and might offer advice . If your machine is one of the newer machines I think there are groups for them as well.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:34 AM

I agree with Kas; get a second opinion on your Bernina. Mine, a wonderful old mechanical 1010, took a tumble off the bed (long story)! I took it in for repair and was told it would have to go to Bernina USA for repair (very pricey). While shopping around for a new machine at my LQS, I was offered a free second opinion and (happy dance) it was repaired for about $100! Meanwhile I had bought a Bernina Activa 240 which I also love. Never give up on these wonderful machines!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:39 AM

Default Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide!

I have 2 Singers and they are OK. 1 old Futura from the '70s in a cabinet and a new one a few years ago that is also a embrodier machine.
My favorite is my Janome 3160 QDC. It has a needle threader that never fails, thread cutter, variable speed and 40 some built in stitches. It is wonderful, small and light enough that I can take it to a class.
Don't buy anywhere that won't service it or let you try it out. Go to a dealer that will do both.
I love my Janome dealer. She also has 3000 plus bolts of fabric and classes you can take for free when you bring the machine you bought from her. Her hubby repairs all makes of machines and learned from his FIL that started the business in the 70's.
Good luck.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 AM

Sew glad you have solved the issue with with your Bernina! Hope you get the Singer issue fixed soon too!