Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide! >
  • Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide!

• Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:52 PM

sewing parts on line says you need a class 15 METAL bobbin for a quantum 9920...here's the link...
    http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/Sin...ine-parts.aspx
    you could call them and ask just to be sure..I was not aware that Singer was putting metal bobbins in any of their new machines.
    as far as your birds nests..I have a fairly new Singer Perfect Finish...I oil it and clean the bobbin case before every bobbin change..but yet..all of the sudden I was getting birds nests and skipped stitches like crazy..finally, I took the bottom off of the machine, (originally I thought I had to time it)..well it was just full of lint underneath the bobbin area, where you can't get to or see without taking the bottom cover off! I cleaned it and oiled it, and it is sewing like a dream again. It doesn't take much to throw these newer machines out of whack!
    I also agree with the other poster that said it is definately a techniciam problem..there is no excuse for returning a machine to you that still gets birds nests!
    Old 02-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Having bothe bernina and Janome bothe great. First, I would definitely take your bernina to a different shop with a qualified tech. You have a great one with that. Then you wouldn't need one as you have one. Then if not we can work on one.
    Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2Chuckie2
    Since I learnt that the new, fancy Berninas were made in Japan (nothing against Japan!) I bought two old Berninas which were both made in Switzerland. A 801 and a 1015. They aren't computerized but sew beautifully. I have them oiled and serviced once a year.
    This is not true. A few of their models are made in a Bernina owned factory in Thailand. Last time I checked my atlas Thailand and Japan were not the same country.
    Old 02-24-2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
    Yes, and I'd be curious to know what model Bernina you have that you bought new for $700? Never heard of such a thing except for a Bernette, which isn't made by Bernina. If it's a Bernette, well, lesson learned but if it's a Bernina, I agree it needs to be taken to a different, certified technician.
    I agree. I've had several Berninas only because I've traded up in models over the last 35 years. I taught Home Ec. in a middle school and high school. We had Berninas. Rarely ever had a problem. Find another dealer and try again. Good luck.
    Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 PM

I have a Janome and it is working pretty well,. They do sell a special bobbin for fmq and my friend it is wonderful. I would go where you can get some information, hence, maybe a dealer, they may have some that are upgrades from someone who has traded her in. It might be able to get a good machine with the upgrade and some classes for the machine to get the best results you want.
    Old 02-25-2012, 05:21 AM

Love my Brother machines, embroidery 4000D and QC1000
    Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 AM

I have an old bernina. The orginal 830, I have never had trouble with it but a friend of mine told me a secret. She said to buy the demo model because they have to be finely tuned or they can't sell those machines. I did as she said and when I buy another machine (I covet a new husqvarna) I will do the same again.
    Lynda
    Old 02-25-2012, 11:54 AM
    Power Poster

I can buy any machine I want but do not choose to spend over $500 for any new or used sewing machine when my sewing is 95% straight seams. I paid $450 for my gently used Bernina 1260 with a lot of extra feet and accessories. It sews great.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 02-25-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM

I bought a real Bernina, a 215, last November for $700 with a coupon for $100. I traded it in a few weeks later for a 350PE. The 215 was NOT a Bernette, but a real Bernina. The company was smart to offer an inexpensive"real" Bernina as an introduction to the brand. Shortly I'm going to trade my 350 for a 530 or 550QE.

Originally Posted by Candace
    Yes, and I'd be curious to know what model Bernina you have that you bought new for $700? Never heard of such a thing except for a Bernette, which isn't made by Bernina. If it's a Bernette, well, lesson learned but if it's a Bernina, I agree it needs to be taken to a different, certified technician.
    Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 AM

I have had 3 brother machine over the last 35 years and love them and this last one is computerized. Ist two, never ever had in for repairs and this last one had in once and they charged me $59 to fix and is guaranteed for 1 yr. When I got it back it sewed better than when I was new. I have a cs6000i which I brought from Amazon.com with free shipping. Think these models are a little cheaper now.
    I would take it to a different Bernia dealer first before investing in another sewing machine. Would not trust taking it back to the old dealer.
    IdahoSandy