Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide! >

Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide!

Sewing Machine Advice, I can't decide!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:43 AM

Have you tried sewing with the more expensive threads. I was having an issue with my Bernina activa 230 the patchwork edition which is designed for quilters. The bobbin wasn't sewing right. I was using thread from Walmart. The repair person told me that the more expensive machines are designed to use the more expensive threads, so I switched to Mettler metrosene 100% polyester thread and it has been sewing fine so far. This is just a suggestion. Maybe you can keep your other machine instead of buying a new one.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 AM

Janome machines are good, however the machines that sold at Hancocks are low end machines. They might be fine, but I would not buy a machine that they would not let me test drive. You need to make sure the machine has a good stitch and will do the things you want it to do. I currently own 2 Janome machines and they are both great machines. The 6600 is my favorite Janome. It is a real work horse. I also love Babylock machines. I have the Ellisimo embroidery/sewing machine. It is amazing! I also have a small Babylock to take to classes, etc. I purchased my machines from my local dealer. I have been a customer of theirs since 1969 and they take care of me. If I have a problem (Which is very rare.) it is fixed immediately. Customer support is important to me. I'm not sure you would get that at Hancocks.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 AM

My Elna Super C62, purchased in 1972, died a little over a year ago, 2010. The bottom line is that Elna/Elna America does not support that particular old machine. The head of the "factory repair" section in the US told me there isn't even a repair manual for it in the US. My Elna and I sewed draperies, clothes for our children, clothes for my husband and me, 10 years of drum corps uniform alterations (about 120 a summer), drum corps flags for the color guard, drum corps color guard uniforms, repairs for the tonneau cover of my husband's MGB, darned my dad's work jeans, did free hand embroidery, you name it. When it died it sewed every bit as well as it did the day I tried it out at the dealer's. I was heartbroken and must have been pitiful.

Since I don't do being sewing machine-less gracefully, during that year I bought and inherited several other machine: Singer 99 (treadle, my grandmother's), Bernina 1630 (computerized, maybe 18 years old, the identical twin of hers), Singer Featherweight II (goes in the RV), Singer 403 Slant-O-Matic (my other grandmother's). Surprizingly, all of them are still supported by their manufacturers. Parts are available. The only problem I've had is that the local dealers would much rather you get parts and pieces for the Bernina 1630 through Bernina. (Or of course, buy the latest, greatest Bernina top of the line, from them.) The dealers will order 1630 stuff for me but can offer no sewing advice or clarify the owner's manual. In some places the manual is a real puzzle. Please note that all these sewing machines do a really fine job of sewing - no kidding - and with the exception of the Featherweight II, are all over 15 years old.

No matter what you finally choose to sew on, for heaven's sake, pick one that is supported by the manufacturer and that has a really good, HONEST, dealer offering excellent service. (It helps if the dealer is in your vicinity.)

The end of my tale is that my daughter owned the next iteration of the C62 - everything the same with the exception of the thread take up lever. The lever on hers is not threaded; it has a sort of hook arrangement. In return for making draperies for her house and doing never ending clothing repair, she turned her Elna over to me. She hasn't started collecting - yet.

Good luck and please let us know how your search turns out. It's safe to say, we're on your side.

Pat
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 AM

I agree with Kas above. Take it to an authorized Bernina dealer and I would be shocked if they did not correct it.
They really are great machines. Good luck and keep us up-to-date.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 AM

Since I learnt that the new, fancy Berninas were made in Japan (nothing against Japan!) I bought two old Berninas which were both made in Switzerland. A 801 and a 1015. They aren't computerized but sew beautifully. I have them oiled and serviced once a year.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 AM

It sounds like you fixed the problem. If you are ever looking for a great quilting machine, the 6600 Janome is the greatest for the price. Janome came out with the 7700 this year, but it is almost twice as much. The 6600 was designed for quilting.
Auto Thread cutter is a God send when piecing. It has a separate motor for winding bobbins and decorative stitches. I also puchased a Janome 3160 for class....only 11lbs. with the autho thread cutter, start stop like the 6600. Seems like all we do in quilt classes is piecing so that little machine is great. If you are interested, PM me and I will tell you the best place to purchase. Diana in TX
Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 AM

Here is a mchine for your perusal.. Just got one of these on eBay, so I'll be getting it toda, I think..Not a recommendation, just thought it would interesting for you to see what an old Singer has to offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...:WNAFP:US:1123
Old 02-24-2012, 12:16 PM

Please RUN, not walk, to another Bernina dealership! I have had several Berninas and have had excellent service. Don't give up so easily on a fabulous (an expensive) machine. Perhaps it might be something you are doing. Have the tech watch you sew so he/she can determine WHY you are having these problems. Why waste money buying a new machine when you already have (IMHO) the best?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM

If I could buy any machine I wanted I would go with the Janome 6600. I've looked at more expensive machines to include the Janome 7700 and I would still take the 6600 over that machine. You can a 6600 for about $1400-1700 at most dealers. Just my personal opinion
Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM

You can buy those bobbin washers at Keepsake quilting, they are called Little Genie Magic Bobbin Washers, they should keep your bobbin from jumping up and down and probably stop those birdnests.
www.keepsakequilting.com