Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine co's grrr !!! >

sewing machine co's grrr !!!

sewing machine co's grrr !!!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinMamaw
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I think this machine sells for about $350 so it would be worth getting checked out by a good repairman. Also I would call around and find a Singer dealer and take the machine in and say why won't this work! The dealer has the number of a live person at Singer and can get something done about the machine or can take it as trade in for different one.
This machine was on sale at Walmart for $75.00 . Annie

consider it a lesson learned. most WalMart machines are made in China and have basically no warranty. If you only paid $75 then toss it and get a good one from a reputable dealer. No point spending more to repair than you paid.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Banned

My first sewing machine, given to me as a wedding present 12 years ago, was a Singer. The woman who gave it to me was older, and hadn't bought a machine in years -- when she was actively sewing, Singer was "the brand to buy." Unfortunately, the machine she gave me was just awful -- I had constant tension problems, and I finally gave up on using it. I finally bought a Husqvarna Viking for myself a few years ago, and I LOVE it.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Banned

Got my email back fron singer . Now it's a tension problem , machine not threaded right ! Bull crap . I've had it . I'll do some research after the new year and see what kind of machine I can afford to get . Not much since I;m unemployed . Maybe I'll go old school and handpiece :shock: Annie
Old 12-01-2009, 01:52 PM

You can't do the timing yourself. A dealer will know how to do that, but be aware - he (or she) won't do it for free.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:58 PM

Sometimes if the wrong bobbin is in the machine it won't move
Old 12-01-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I'm not defending Singer but any machine made for discount stores including Brother, are made very cheaply and very fast. Quality control is random so a lemon will more than likely be the norm instead of the rare. Some buy them and they last for years, it's the luck of the draw. The high end Singer and Brother machines are very nice. I don't understand why they have the lower quality with the brand name, a bad machine will turn away customers from that brand for life.
Any machine that is made for discount stores(Walmart), is made to there pricepoint. So, things will get made of cheaper parts in order to make them happy with the price. Call the 800 # on your warrenty. You will wait awhile, but at least get to vent. Ask them to send a call tag for your machine or to have you machine repaired at a dealership near you. Don't give up!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:04 PM

the new singers can drive you nuts...find a thrift store and get an old machine...they are easy to work on and its better than the low line new ones... I did get a kenmore for 200 and it has been great...good luck
Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinMamaw
The hang up is only part of the problem . The bobbin winder only winds half a bobbin ! Stops and won't wind any more . I always use the same thread [ upper and in bobbin ] .But thanks for the suggestion . I have tried different brands of thread , no effect .
Figure this out . In the book , says class 16 bobbins , not the right ones ! They won't fit in the bobbin case ! And yes they are singer bobbins . I don't mix and match them . Annie
there's a little screw on the top of the little wing thing where you wind the bobbin thread. loosen that screw, move the little wing thingie out then tighten the screw to make it wind a full bobbin.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:38 PM

I agree, BellaBoo. I've never purchased a sewing machine from a discount store, and never will. The two New Homes I have were from reputable dealers; the Brother machine I have came as part of a package deal when I took a sewing course a few years ago. (It's an ES2000 adn I love it for its light weight and also the buttonholer.) I inherited my mother's Singer Golden Touch and Sew, and it sews as well now as when my dad purchased it for her for Christmas many years ago. My newest machine is a Pfaff Expressions 2038, which I bought 2 years ago. I like all of my machines, but I think my all-time favorite is my New Home MC 6000. It's old and the computer is starting to go, but it more than paid for itself with all the sewing I did for my family.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

dojo your post made me laugh ! Love your terminology ! Wing thing and thingy :thumbup: Sounds like something I would say if I wasn't so aggravated !

There is no screw in the top of this machine ! I have oiled and cleaned this thing so many times , it shouldn't get hung up at all . I took out the bobbin case and ring , took out the needle , removed the presser foot . Oiled it , ran it with no thread for several minutes . Put back together , same thing happened [ jammed ]. Handwheel won't turn either . It has been like this since I got it . First singer said I threaded it wrong . Not . Now they say it's the tension . Shaking my head , can't believe this crap . Annie