Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which sewing machine for doing a queen size quilt? >

Which sewing machine for doing a queen size quilt?

Which sewing machine for doing a queen size quilt?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 AM

I'd suggest a Janome 7700. It's got a large harp, quilts beautifully, and is a great value.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Lady
Sorry if you found my question offensive.
Your question isn't offensive. I think it is a good idea to find out what people like and don't like about their machines. Once you have some input it might help you narrow your search. Like everyone else will tell you, go test drive and go prepared with a list of your wants/needs and questions. Best of luck in finding the right machine.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:38 AM

A little off subject, but this might help you to be able to go for the machine of your dreams...
A member here suggested asking the dealer if they could reduce the price if buying the floor model. I did exactly that and saved $100 on the $1000 Janome MC6300. Mind you, I did check out the machine before popping the question - it was virtually brand-new - so felt confident I was not buying a used and abused machine. Times are tough, and at the end of the day, shop keepers want that money in the register. Happy hunting!!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:41 AM

I have a Janome 1600P, single stitch with a 9" throat space. I got it for quilting & love it. My suggestion is to get one from a dealer that you can go to for service & advise. When I was looking Janome, Viking & Pfaff all had basically the same machine- one dealer even told me they were the same & from there it was a matter of price. Like the others said, figure out what you want & need in a machine. I had a machine that I loved but without the large throat space so I knew I wanted just a single stitch that I could FMQ on & do large quilts- I didn't want embroidery & I already had the fancy stitches. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by It'sJustMe
A little off subject, but this might help you to be able to go for the machine of your dreams...
A member here suggested asking the dealer if they could reduce the price if buying the floor model. I did exactly that and saved $100 on the $1000 Janome MC6300. Mind you, I did check out the machine before popping the question - it was virtually brand-new - so felt confident I was not buying a used and abused machine. Times are tough, and at the end of the day, shop keepers want that money in the register. Happy hunting!!
Oh thanks for that tip, I missed it somewhere, and its a great one !! I would have never thought of that.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
This question is like asking 10 blind men to describe the elephant or the song in the musical "Finninians Rainbow" with the line "when I'm not near the girl I love, I love the girl I'm near." You just have to decide what you want in a machine and then go look at as many as you can. My favorite is not necessarily the favorite of the next. I would never recommend one over another.

So true!! LOL!! Though I would recommend some over others. :>
Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Banned

I have a Brother SE-400 which I love but the throat is only 5 1/2 inches and way too small to fit a queen size quilt through. I looked at several machines this weekend, i.e., Viking, Bernina, Pfaff and they are all so expensive. What I would really like is the Topaz 20 as it does both sewing and embroidery. Can any of you experienced quilters offer any suggestions or advice. Which machine do you like best? Thanks for your help!

Blessings :) :)
Lucy the machine you have is just fine and dandy to use for that size quilt. If my friend can do a king size on a Featherweight I know you can do it on yours. I have a Japanese 15 in a treadle and I do King quilts on it and it is only like a 6" throat on it. You just have to work with it a bit but it can be done.

Billy
Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I have a Brother SE-400 which I love but the throat is only 5 1/2 inches and way too small to fit a queen size quilt through. I looked at several machines this weekend, i.e., Viking, Bernina, Pfaff and they are all so expensive. What I would really like is the Topaz 20 as it does both sewing and embroidery. Can any of you experienced quilters offer any suggestions or advice. Which machine do you like best? Thanks for your help!

Blessings :) :)
Lucy the machine you have is just fine and dandy to use for that size quilt. If my friend can do a king size on a Featherweight I know you can do it on yours. I have a Japanese 15 in a treadle and I do King quilts on it and it is only like a 6" throat on it. You just have to work with it a bit but it can be done.

Billy
I was going to say the same thing! The harp on my Bernina 640 (which was bought as a floor model and saved me $1,000) has only a 6" or so space. I have quilted a 104" x 104" on it. No prob. But if you just want a new machine, we will support you in your excuse! Mine was I needed the BSR to improve my quilting. I never use it! LOL!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:15 PM

Thank you all for the responses!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming_quilter
Sorry if you found my question offensive.
Your question isn't offensive. I think it is a good idea to find out what people like and don't like about their machines. Once you have some input it might help you narrow your search. Like everyone else will tell you, go test drive and go prepared with a list of your wants/needs and questions. Best of luck in finding the right machine.
I agree, you weren't being offensive at all. Just asking a great question hoping for great answers. Take care.