Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which sewing machine for doing a queen size quilt? >

Which sewing machine for doing a queen size quilt?

Which sewing machine for doing a queen size quilt?

Old 07-22-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
I have made a list of all the things I want a machine to do, what I want to pay for it, and then went researching. As I found a machine that I liked, I went down the list and checked off what it had I wanted. If it didn't and was a function I couldn't live without I went to the next machine. I got down to two Brother machines, one way more expensive than the other but the more expensive had everything I want so I am now saving more. Since I want this to be an investment in myself, I don't want to settle. Try something like that so you can find just the perfect machine.
This is a great way to do it!!! This was recommended to me when I took a beginners class and it made the decision so much easier. I found the machine that met the most of my requirements and at a great price too.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 AM

My suggestions
1. If you are going to spend $, get something good. Don't go half way. You will be disappointed.
2. Purchase from someone who can also answer questions and service the machine.
3. Consider getting a good brand that is used if you want to save $. Don't be afraid to negotiate the price or ask, "can you do any better on this price?" for new or used. Get a warranty and try the machine at the store and have it demonstrated on to make sure it works well.
4. Bring a WIP with you to try the machine

I have a BabyLock Quilter's Choice and love it. Happy Shopping.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Lady
I have a Brother SE-400 which I love but the throat is only 5 1/2 inches and way too small to fit a queen size quilt through. I looked at several machines this weekend, i.e., Viking, Bernina, Pfaff and they are all so expensive. What I would really like is the Topaz 20 as it does both sewing and embroidery. Can any of you experienced quilters offer any suggestions or advice. Which machine do you like best? Thanks for your help!

Blessings :) :)
Holice is right. Everyone has their preferences. I have all Viking machines and love my Diamond & Topaz 30 for the 10" throat space. Yes, they are expensive, but in my opinion, you get what you pay for. You will have to test "drive" several machines and see which works best for you. We don't all drive the same car, so why would we all use the same machine?!?! Make yourself a list of the most important things you want in a machine and number them in order of importance, then go shopping. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:45 AM

Janome, Viking & Pfaff ARE the same machines. Made in the same place, just a different cover. They are made to use on a frame, so they don't come with a lot of extra feet. 9" throat space = lotsa space for quilting! Walking foot purchased at Hancock's with 30% discount was very cheap. Love mine (called MegaQuilter by Husq/Vik) and put on a Grace Next Generation frame it is wonderful! QBOT makes it computer driven, so sit back with a cuppa java and watch it go!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:49 AM

I have all Janome machines and recently purchased the Horizon 7700, 11 " throat plate for quilting. I'm very happy with it. I also asked about a few machines on this board when I was searching and found it helpful. As for those who don't want to offer an opinion, why bother to answer at......
Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 AM

Your question isn't offensive at all. We all like to hear what us quilters have to say about sewing machines. It is confusing but I think you will find the one that fits you. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
You might consider a vintage machine. I picked up a free Singer 201 which is a powerful machine, has a large harp and feeddogs that drop. It cost me $70 to have it re-wired (always check out the wiring before plugging in old machines) $20 for a walking foot and $10 for a free motion/darning food. For $100 I have a machine that quilts better than my Janome 6500, has just as large a harp and doesn't growl, veer off seam junctions, or break thread when I quilt.
I bought a Singer 201 for the large harp area, then a walking foot and a darning foot and I am very happy with it. I haven't tried a large quilt yet but plan to one day when and if my RA in my fingers and shoulders will cooperate.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
This question is like asking 10 blind men to describe the elephant or the song in the musical "Finninians Rainbow" with the line "when I'm not near the girl I love, I love the girl I'm near." ... .
LOL, that is so true! In the end we need to try out various machines for ourselves.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:09 AM

I have a Juki for machine quilting. Also have a Pfaff which does everything but love my Juki for quilting. It has a large sewing bed which attaches to it. It only does straight stitch and industrial strength. It is a TL-98Q and I ordered it a few years ago online.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Donna H-M
I have all Janome machines and recently purchased the Horizon 7700, 11 " throat plate for quilting. I'm very happy with it. I also asked about a few machines on this board when I was searching and found it helpful. As for those who don't want to offer an opinion, why bother to answer at......
Agree.