Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine preference - call me nuts...but >

Sewing machine preference - call me nuts...but

Sewing machine preference - call me nuts...but

Old 04-27-2014, 02:23 PM

I have a Viking computerized machine, but I prefer Singer 401a, for my piecing. For quilting, I use my Pfaff Hobby Quilter (non computerized) with my Handi-quilter frame.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:56 PM

I have two houses, two Viking 6460s (mid 1970's era) and two Featherweights. I love my Vikings. One I have had since it was new and the other I bought from a friend who had it since it was new. Problem is that I can no longer get parts for them so if something breaks it is touch and go whether the sewing center has or can get a part from a dead machine. Recently the foot pedal on the Viking I got from a friend is getting hot when I sew. After talking to several service people, doing lots of research on the internet over the problem I have reluctantly decided to make that my back up machine and I got a new electronic machine - Janome. The feature I like the most on that is the needle down. It is a good machine but I don't feel the attachment to it that I have for my other machines. Maybe it will come with time. I have done quilting and piecing on the new machine and really prefer the Viking for quilting and the Featherweight for piecing. Time will tell I suppose. There is something to be said for the older machines. They are just so solid.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:31 PM

Yes, for just plain old piecing, I love my 1929 singer featherweight. It sews like a charm and so quiet.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:43 PM

Know what you mean, but I love them all. I say I love my Singer 403 best, but then I love my Singer 15, but then ...it just goes on and on. I couldn't choose just one.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

I have about ten machines (most of those, vintage) and not one is computerized. I just love a mechanical machine. My main quilter is my Juki TL2010Q purchased about a year and a half ago, and even it is mechanical and not computerized. I don't care for machine embroidery so I don't see as I'm missing anything. When I need zig zag and a few fancy stitches, I have my 1970's Bernina Record 830 and my Singer 403 with all of it's cams!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:08 PM

Well I started piecing on my cheap brother sq9050 and i love my. Dreamy for all it does but the straight stitch on my sq is better. I think the more machines do sometimes it reduces the precision of certain things. Like dreamy handles layers better than my sq. I think each machine has their pro's and cons.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 PM

All I own are vintage mechanical machines. I prefer a straight stitch only machine over my zigzag and decorative stitch machines for piecing. A good straight stitch machine is just so quiet and smooth running compared to others. Right now the Japanese made Singer 15 clone in my avatar is my go-to machine. Before that was my 1948 Singer model 66.
My daughter had her second 4H meeting this Thursday. It was the first actual sewing session for her club. I watched for part of it. Out of the 5 machines there the only machine I saw that was as quiet and smooth as my daughter's old Montgomery Wards zigzag machine was a new Bernina Bernette. The Wards machine isn't the quietest machine we own either.
I think you have to buy a very good brand of new machine to match the performance of older machines.
Rodney
Old 04-28-2014, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I have two houses, two Viking 6460s (mid 1970's era) and two Featherweights. I love my Vikings. One I have had since it was new and the other I bought from a friend who had it since it was new. Problem is that I can no longer get parts for them so if something breaks it is touch and go whether the sewing center has or can get a part from a dead machine. Recently the foot pedal on the Viking I got from a friend is getting hot when I sew. After talking to several service people, doing lots of research on the internet over the problem I have reluctantly decided to make that my back up machine and I got a new electronic machine - Janome. The feature I like the most on that is the needle down. It is a good machine but I don't feel the attachment to it that I have for my other machines. Maybe it will come with time. I have done quilting and piecing on the new machine and really prefer the Viking for quilting and the Featherweight for piecing. Time will tell I suppose. There is something to be said for the older machines. They are just so solid.

Same problem with my old Viking and the foot feet getting hot. Part that was broken was obsolete. Got a Viking 118 and so far, have enjoyed using it. This machine I use for piecing and my Bernia I use for the fancier stuff.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:06 AM

I own a Janome 1600P, which does straight stitch only, and is a workhorse; I also own a Janome 7700 (Horizon) with lots of fancy stitches, and it's great for fancy sewing and embellishments. I use either one for free motion quilting.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 AM

So funny that you say that. My favorite machine to piece on is a Singer 301 from the 50s and my Janomes and Viking just sit!