Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Repairs >

Sewing Machine Repairs

Sewing Machine Repairs

Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 AM

Due to the current economy, many shops have cut way back on the parts that they keep on hand. They have the everyday stuff, but if it is a part that has been discontinued, or something that normally doesn't break...they are at the mercy of the supplier of the parts.
I agree, some shops are really bad, and deserve the badmouthing. Others, really try to accomadate...
Sorry, just my opionion.....
Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 AM

I have a Pfaff Classic Style 2025 purchased new in 2004. While it was still under warranty it did a lot of crazy stuff and the dealer replaced the Logic Board. He had it a year, for one reason or another. I didn't use it much after I got it back as I was still employed. Since I am no longer employed I am using it a lot. I will be sewing along with a straight stitch and my quarter inch foot and the needle suddenly jumps to the left. Well that hits the needle HARD, sometimes breaks it. Sometimes I will be stitching along in any stitch and it will lock up and the display will show WD on the display. I called the dealer where I purchased it, and the same who did the warranty repair, he said it sounds like the Logic board is out again and it will cost in excess of $400 to repair (no warranty) or he will give me $300 on a NEW trade-in. I will find a different dealer if I ever decide to fix it. It will be difficult to trust a repairman.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
For shops these days I guess it's typical. I took my machine to a new shop that kept telling me it would take a few more days after a week of checking on my machine. I found out that the repairman (owner's husband) took a good part off mine to repair another machine and was looking for a 'used' one to put back on my machine. He said it was done all the time. ? The shop went into bankruptcy about a year later. Dumb bunch didn't realize quilters/sewers talk to each other.
I think I would have to give him a formal introduction to Ms. Kitty :mrgreen:

Billy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-6271.jpe  
Old 02-11-2010, 03:56 PM

I took my Viking into an "authorized" dealer for repair, but he was visiting family for the holidays & would not be back for 3 weeks. So I took it to another repair place, (not Viking). They ordered a belt (which took 3 weeks to get), told me it would be ready Friday, went to pick it up and WHOOPS-not ready! Said the wrong part was sent, re-ordered and finally got back a week after that!

You would think in this economy, there would be some emphasis on service.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:23 PM

I take all my machines to the same guy. Sometimes he's speedy, most of the time he's not. I always have a backup so I don't worry about it and one thing I know for sure - he won't return my machine until it is in absolutely perfect working order. I think good repair guys are like good hairdressers. When you find one, you hang onto them for dear life, no matter what.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:56 PM

I call ahead and make an appointment with my dealer. She is always very good about working with me to get someting scheduled. She has it done the same day i take it in. i live 45 miles from my dealer so I drop off my machine first thing in the morning and then have the day to shop and pick it up on my way home.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Local shop (sells Bernina, repairs anything) offers two choices: You can leave it and pick it up in about 5 days, or make an appointment and have it done in an hour or so. Of course, if there were major problems, I'd expect the time to be extended. Leroy and his family are the best!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:51 PM

I bought mine from a dealer here in town. Well, it takes FOREVER just for a regular service. So I found another dealer in Memphis, which is about an hour drive for me. I called and spoke to the guy who does it. He promised me as long as there was nothing majorly wrong that would need him to order parts that he would have it done in a couple of hours! So I made the drive, dropped it off and wandered the malls and bookstores. Within two hours he called and said it was ready.

So...I will drive that hour from now on, and the crappy service that I got from the dealer here in town is a memory.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 PM

If you aren't sure, ask if they are a factory approved repair service for your brand of machine and if you are in doubt, ask to look at their paperwork to be sure. Some of these fly-by-night guys are not registered approved service centers and they get their parts from overseas and it can take forever and a day. Also true in the computer industry!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:07 PM

i bought my viking and my two janomes from the same dealer. after getting the run-around once, i never went back to him. a good, reliable service shop should be able to repair all kinds of machines. my dd got the wrong parts from the factory-approved DEALER that sold her hers. i use a man i trust and he does my two janomes, my viking, my antique blind stitcher, my dd's janome and my ddil's singer. if i ever need him to, he'll fix my lizzie. he's not a dealer and he fixes every brand. i got him through recommendations at my LQS. don't settle for lousy service.