Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Repairs >

Sewing Machine Repairs

Sewing Machine Repairs

Old 02-13-2010, 12:45 PM

I bought my Brother 8500 new from a dealer in Spartanburg, SC, over 6-8 years ago, and I can't say enough nice about him!!! He checks it each year, and in a few hours has it ready for me to pick up. This year, to save money, I took it to another shop closer to me since Spartanburg was about 3 hours away, and they sent it out to be fixed. When it came back (about a month later) it was not even working right at all, so I took it back to Spartanburg, and in a few hours, it was as good as new again!!!! The company I took it to with the bad service-repair experience actually were gracious and refunded my money and let the man know he would not be repairing for them anymore!
Old 02-13-2010, 02:09 PM

I took my new one back to Sears where I purchased it, because it obviously needed something It just would not sew from day one. I had a lady ( and I use that term lightly) call me and said' " You don't sew much do you?" I quickly informed her that I had actually been sewing since I was about 6. I am now 56. She asked me if I had used a metal bobbin in it. I said yes. No where did it say in the book or from the Guy???? who sold it to me that I could only use plastic bobbins. She said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Then she chewed me out for adjusting the bobbin tension. I now have it back, it cost me 40 bucks and it does sew now, but still has a tension problem. I think I will just adjust it myself if that's possible. I am very mechanically minded. I have a 25 YR Kenmore that's never given me any problems, but this new one might end up flying out my window. Some one told me to try a Jenome, but they're sold at Sears. May-be I should call this women up and ask for her advice. She did give me her number. LOL!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 03:47 PM

so sorry to hear about the problems with getting your sewing machines fixed knock on wood but i have not had this problem i bought my sewing machine from sears and when i take it there to get a tune up and cleaned i always get it back on time up until just a year ago they used to have loaner machines but it got to be that people were not returning them if they were better than the one they took in for repair so they stoppped with the loaners !
Old 02-13-2010, 03:51 PM

i would take the machine back to Sears and demand a new one tell the manager you are not happy with it and you have been sewing for years and you know the differance between a good working machine and one that is not , i have never had a problem taking things back to Sears ( but ask for a manager if the saleslady doenst budge) !!!
Old 02-13-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I brought 2 machines (my old 1975 Singer and a fairly new Phaff) in for a tune-up in November and was told it might take 2 weeks. When 3 weeks passed I called to see how much longer it might be. She checked and said they were still in line and she didn't know how much longer it would be :thumbdown: . I went out to get both of them the next day. BTW...this was the same dealer that I bought my Phaff from.

Since then I have become interested in and bought several vintage machines that I'm learning to service myself so maybe I will also do my more "modern" machines myself, too, since there is nothing really wrong with the Phaff.
Please don't open up your new Pfaff as it may void your warranty. There are areas of the Pfaff that we users are NOT to venture into and that was the reason I was given. Since you have more than one machine, take it back to the dealer and wait your turn and it will come back to you cleaned up and like new. They are too expensive to risk voiding the warranty on - just my opinion.

I've never had to wait more than 5 - 7 days for a repair unless a part had to be ordered but even then I had the machine back to use until the part was located - Viking and it was a card for the fancy stitching on a machine that is now over 20 years old - there was no reason to keep it since when the card came in, I could just pop it in place. It came with 2 different cards which were exchangeable and one side had gotten damaged somehow.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:00 PM

My Viking has been in for servicing for three months with the dealer that I purchased it from. Everytime I call for an update I am told that they had to order another part. I am certainly not happy with the service but lucky that I have a back up machine.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:17 PM

Starlight,
When I bought this new Pfaff, the dealer was eyeing my Pfaff 2034 as a trade in and was surprised when I told him it was worth the value of the trade in to me to keep as my 2nd sewing machine and I'm really glad that I kept it. When my chapter did the quilted sweatshirts, I didn't want to do it on my light weight baby lock as it doesn't have a walking foot (which is affordable enough but why buy it when I had 2 good Pfaff's with walking feet built in.) Since I'd just purchased the new 4.0, I had my husband take my 2034 for our 4 weeks of sewing classes to do my sweatshirt and I'm so glad I did that. The baby lock Maria is a great little machine for piecing and regular sewing but I want the walking foot for quilting but I may go ahead and put out the $20 for the walking foot for the Maria as it's light weight enough for me to take by myself. I'm sorry your Viking is in the shop for so long but I can understand why. It does take time to get parts from the machines that aren't made in the country. I was stunned to learn that my Pfaff is now made by Viking/Huskvarna in Sweden. My 2034 was not and there are definite differences in the machines. I'm amazed at the Viking needing repairs as they normally are very sturdy and don't need much attention. Good luck. Hope you get it back pretty soon.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:45 PM

Years ago my hubby bought me a Brother electronic machine (I still have it) and the tension kept going out of whack. I took it in 3 times over a couple years and each time I would ask the repair guy what he did to fix it. He'd give me all kinds of vague double talk. I knew it was a tension issue so after the 3rd time I finally figured out on my own it was my bobbin tension and I just needed to readjust it. Oddly enough, I only had to adjust it once and it's been working perfectly (around 25 years worth) ever since!! Kinda makes you wonder. And yes, I found a new service man.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:23 PM

That would be the day someone would do that to me. There would be h*ll to pay! Has anyone heard of this before? I don't think they do it all the time and I could see why they went bankrupt. Serves him right.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:36 AM

I guess I am very fortunate. I have been dealing with the same business for years and since I live over a 100 miles away they usually do a one day cleaning service on my machine. I drop it off in the morning, shop, have lunch then I pick it up and go home. If there were repairs and parts to order involved I am sure they would still be very accomadating.

Longarm