Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Space >

Sewing Space

Sewing Space

Old 08-04-2013, 07:14 AM

I think it all depends on how you feel about being out of the house for periods of time. I have a friend who took a storage unit and finished the inside complete with air-conditioning and she just loves it. Says she can do her thing without interruption. I, also, have a nook in the bedroom. For myself, I do not think it would work for me. DH has health issues and I would not be comfortable leaving him in the house where I could not hear him call. I have had a dedicated sewing room in the past but when we down-sized, it was one of the rooms that had to go. I miss it but you do what you have to do.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I found the perfect work station! I have a sewing room but I still want this. It will be perfect for you!!

Go to Walmart.com and in the search engine type: Sauder Harbor View Craft & Armoire. The top one is the one you want. It has excellent feedback. The third one down is what it looks like when it is closed. It's so nifty. I think I am going to buy it for my sewing room, even though I have a desk already. Click on it and read all about it. It folds up. It holds a few sewing machines and fabric and sewing items.

This just seems perfect-O! And I checked prices yesterday for two hours and Walmart had the best price by far.

You have to pay $50 for shipping on top of the price quoted. But it is so worth it!!

Last edited by jcrow; 08-04-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

When space is tight - go up. Using vertical space helps me with my sewing area that is in a corner in my bedroom. When I sandwich quilts I use my dining room table using the extensions. I miss my sewing room in our house, where I could just close the door and leave my projects on the sewing table, but I'm doing my best to adapt.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 AM

I use our dining room table as a cutting table. I leave the board there permanently and cover it with a plastic table cloth and then a real table cloth and no one knows it is there. This helps a lot.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Have you measured your room so you might be able to redesign your room. Or possibly set youe computer to the side on a smaller table and use the desk for sewing. There are clear under bed storage containers. Another idea.how wide is your bed? You could get a folding table that might fit to slide over the end of your bed.they do come in various lenghts. Check those against the width and height of your bed.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:57 AM

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I've "gotta say what I gotta say before I forget what I wanna say." On the shed idea. I think it's a great solution IF -- and I say IF- because it needs to be insulated and some sort of climate control needs to be addressed. Humidity will ruin your fabric as well as your machine. My DH bought a little metal shed type building and his friend helped him to insulate it and put inexpensive paneling on the walls. He's got a TV and a fridge with an icemaker in there. It's where we keep our various electric skillets, etc. The little 110 AC unit keeps it cool int he warm/hot months and a little electric heater with a thermostat prevents it from getting too cold on those very few cold days that we have down here near the gulf.

I must say that as our family was growing, my sewing space moved from place to place (a tiny corner in our bedroom, a space in the utility room, the dining area and finally in a vacated girls' bedroom. That is the room that is so full that I need to move out to do my quilting. So I move back to the dining area again. Have machine will travel.

Edit: Oops forgot to say why he bought the shed (which he calls "my building."). He likes to tinker on repairing all sorts of things. It's a place to store our large kitchen things like gumbo pots, pots with burners, etc. plus he keeps all of his tools and guyu things like the weedeaters, blowers, etc. And of course -- the TV. When all of the grandkids are here, he can watch his ballgames in peace out there.

Last edited by GailG; 08-04-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 AM

I have a small area 12'7 x 7'6 that i turned into my sewing area. It only has 3 walls to it as it is part of the front entrance to my house. The 4th wall has my hutch on it and have no other place for it.. In this small area I have 1 cardtable set up with my new machine, an antique table i use for cutting, my computor desk, ironing board and another old table with my older sewing machine set on it in front of my hutch. I also have an old metal filing cabinet which I will be storing fabrics and supplies. Im new at this also and it will take time to see what is best for me. Its a matter of what will work for you in the space you do have. Im not sure yet how to load up pics yet as im new to forums and this wonderful site. Im taking baby steps all the way.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:19 PM

I am sorry if this is to long,
15 years ago we bought our house, it was a very small 3bedroom house the real estate sales lady said it had a beep of the see, in actual pact it had a nice sea view, until
One day my husband was up on the roof and said you should see the view from here!!!
What happened. Next was the house removers came it and after disconnecting all the power etc they jacked our house upwards building
temporary supports as they went once it got to the height we wanted, the builder then built a concrete block basement once that was done the house was let down onto its new foundations, and what did we get. Two large sewing rooms for me A man cave for the man of the house, a double garage, a bathroom/laundry with a WC now we have a 5 bedroom house with the most fantastic view of the sea, the only down note to this story is that we are getting on in years and the stairs are a bit of a problem. BUT. DH has worked out how he can in stall a elevator
Old 08-04-2013, 04:35 PM

Maybe invest in a Murphy bed, and then u would have a lot of room when u wanted to quilt. When it's up make it your design wall. I've seen tat on this sight before. I was very envious! Congrats on your upcoming retirement.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:41 PM

I think you could use a storage shed--with these add ons. 1. I would want it insulated. 2. I live in Houston so I would want it air conditioned. 3. Make sure you can walk in without bending over, that it has the head room. 4. You would have to have electricity run to the unit. For you sewing machine and lighting (and air conditioning) 5. I might also want a window or 2 in there too! 6. My little storage shed has a sliding metal door, you don't want those--ours has buckled and it is never shut! You could get one of those little barn looking sheds, and perhaps have a regular door, or a barn door sliding kind like the guy Vern had in his own barn/work area, in his own home. By getting a shed, you could have it made like you wanted it. If it was insulated you may be able to keep fabric and such if you can keep the humidity out.

Last edited by Pepita; 08-04-2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Vern the carpenter in This Old House also had a show of his own about making different furniture.