Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Space >

Sewing Space

Sewing Space

Old 08-05-2013, 03:44 PM

Just to show you how little space you can manage with, see the pics below. My quilting area is just 5' sqare with a really handy storage unit, at the side, which has 12" deep squares, holds so much. The rest of my fabric is in sealed boxes under my bed and on top of the wardrobe, and I have a lot as I am also the North Wales Project Linus co-ordinator!

My largest and most expensive purchase, besides my beloved Elna sewing machine is my lovely executive office chair, couldn't be without it. In this so called small space I do a lot of quilting and do all my own FMQ and completes quilts up to Queen size with no problems. It's amazing what you can do when you really want to. BTW I don't know about a shed outside, I like sewing in the evenings and the thought of going out in the dark for my quilting would put me off but that's me
Attached Thumbnails my-5-sewing-corner.jpg   my-storage-space.jpg  
Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM

Years ago I had a beautiful sewing cabinet at a sewing center in SLC, UT that looked like a huge armoire, or china hutch but had solid oak doors. The base opened up and the doors had thread storage on them, then there were 3 drawers inside that were on each side of the machine motorized lift. The upper cabinet was huge, perfect for lots of stash and boxes. When I was finished sewing for the day, it just closed up perfectly. The whole cabinet stood about 7' tall, but once it was placed, it had to stay because it weighed a ton being solid oak. I loved it so much that my hubby at the time decided we needed to buy my MIL one too! He eventually built me a sewing room in our basement so I ended up selling that cabinet... biggest mistake I ever made!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Default Sewing space

Brandi, I sympathise with your problem. I sewed in one small room for a long time. My best advice is don't forget your wall space and the space above and behind doors. I used 1x12 boards painted white with the cheapest brackets I could find. I placed all my folded fabric on these above a desk(and I have ALOT of fabric). Remember, you can go from wall to wall with these shelves if you use enough brackets. I used plastic house gutters screwed into the wall above the doorways and closets to hold notions, trims and ribbon, especially those not used very often but that I liked to have handy. I built a super simple shelf from 1x2 lumer that reached from floor to celing behind my door to hold all of my thread and bobbins and glue, buttons, etc. I still use that system now and I have a 600 sq foot sewng room. You DO have to be a little more tidy and organized with a small space, but it can be done.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:47 PM

When we moved to a smaller house, there was no where for me to see. My DH added insulation, new wiring and lights, new subfloor and laminate floor, drywall, new door and all the trim molding. We spent $560. It is only 9x 11 but is works for me. I use a space heater in the winter and a window ac unit in the summer. It costs less than $20 a month on my electric bill. I have a TV with satellite out there as well as a stereo. I love it. It is a doable option.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 AM

In my last house I had a small desk in the living room and/or bedroom that I sewed on. I made a king size quilt for my bed and pieced two king sized tops in that tiny space. I look back now and wonder: How did I ever do that? Where there's a will, there's a way.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 AM

I sewed for years in the "breakfast nook" of our small condo. It was about the size of a small bathroom. I agree with going vertical. I bought those little plastic stackable drawers at Target and still have them in my sewing room 20 years later! They work great. I also got a drop down wall mounted ironing board (I was doing a lot of suit making at the time and needed a "real" ironing board) and had shelving on all the wallsfor boxes. I kept my fabric in bags and boxes in whatever closet was free and cut on the dining room table. It wasn't as convenient as having a whole room but it worked.

As far as a shed goes, I'd want it heated, air conditioned, insulated and well sealed with concrete floors and some windows.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 08-06-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 08-07-2013, 05:45 AM

Thumbs up Sewing nook...

Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Currently I only have my bedroom to sew in. I live with my son and two grandsons, so we don't have any extra rooms or space to use as a sewing/craft room. I am planning on retiring next year and I really want to get into quilting. How many of you have sheds out in your back yard or close to the house? How convenient is it and do you like? I think I would rather be inside the house. I really don't have an option now. I was wondering about a shed out back if that would work. Please give me your suggestions. Thanks. I love to look at all your sewing rooms and I am green with envy. I bought me a new sewing machine and right now the only place I have to put it is at my computer desk.
I do have a building behind my house and I LOVE it. It provides quite a 'get away' with added bonus. I can stop and start projects when I need to without trying to "clean up" before closing the door. My music can turn up and I lose myself in the current project. I am retired now, therefore, I find myself out there as late as midnight before realizing the time. Everything I need is out there, with the exception of a bathroom. Love, Love, Love it.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:42 AM

I say sew in bedroom and sleep in shed where do you spend more time
Old 08-07-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by loriea View Post
I say sew in bedroom and sleep in shed where do you spend more time
haha! Now that is the best idea yet.