Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: share your other hobbies

Blog Entries
    during winter I do genealogy, counted cross stitch, badminton once a week and skiing, in the summer golfing, biking and a few trips short or long. No craft in the summer as I prefer being outside. Oh yes, I forgot gym 2 to 3 times a week in the winter so I can bike and play golf in the summer

I've taught line dancing off and on for the last 20 years...

I can only afford one hobby at a time, but besides quilting I love to read mysteries and biographies. I have read almost all of the Elm Creek Quilters novels though. Past hobbies are knitting, crocheting, and macrame (another lost art). Want to learn to hand embroider next.

I enjoy photography.

used to love macrame as well. made several hanging lamps, and a couple of hanging tables with a light over each. still have the directions I believe but no idea where to get the jut necessary in those quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by traders of the lost art
    Love your creativity! Well done.
    I did post pictures of some mosaics, with no response at all.
    Here's some more.
    WOW Traders, your mosaics are stunning... I'll bet you could make some awesome stepping stones for the garden!! I have a mosaic birdhouse which I love but it cannot begin to compare with your lovely work!!

Beautuiful Wild Yard.

Quote Originally Posted by greaterexp
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by grammyv
    reading romance novels-esp time travel.hey,if einstein thought it was possible ,who am i to say??
    gardening,roses,cooking and EATING!:) also make my own laundry soap and saving money any way i can.....
    I love that you make your own laundry soap. How do you do it? A basic summary? We are going to be making our own cheese and soap one day and are considering Bees.
    You may look it up ("Google it.") online. Most recipes are about the same. I make my own, too. If I can do it, it must be easy. Here's the recipe I use.
    My grandmother made her own soap well into the 50's. I remember stacks of the yellow cakes of soap in her basement near her wringer washer. She would peal it into the washer with a paring knife. It was rather harsh and her towels were always kind of stiff. Of course it didn't help she didn't have a dryer and hung clothes out year round, even when it was freezing.

I love to read too, and garden once the dang snow goes away, LOL. I'm thinking at this point it might be, oh, say JUNE!!! LOL...
    I wish we readers lived closer so we could do a book exchange as I go thru at least 3 and often more books a week. I stock up on half price day at the thrift store, then donate them back or pass them on to others when I finish. I read when the fibro requires me to rest my arms and hands. I too love audio books. I use them in the car as they help me with driving. I don't understand the way it works exactly, but I can drive further and with less pain when I have an audio book to listen to, than when it's just a cd or the radio playing music. I'm sure it's something about the level of concentration required to follow the story and the part of my brain that it uses. Distracts from the pain centers perhaps.
    I find I can do much less of the beading and painting now, because the fine motor control takes it's toll in pain and gives me a tremor after a little while. I used to crochet, but that is behind me. I don't miss the things I can no longer do, well, not too much, smiles, because I have this wonderful new hobby of quilting, and it makes me and others happy!!
    I loveee seeing all your other talents so much. It is a wondrous thing what the human mind and body can produce! I hope we all never take for granted the miracle that is our brain, and hands and fingers that they work together like they do to create such marvels!!
    When we look at the perspective of all the things that must work together for an end product, how can we beat ourselves up over a little glitch here and there? Heck, it's a wonder we got it done at all!!!! Giant :D and big wide huggggggggs..

Here's some more.
    Lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by lisamortell
    Last year I learned to cake decorate and have had a lot of fun making cakes for my family and friends. I have to say I love quilting more because there is less pressure if you donít get it done you can just come back to it.
    If I could do that NOBODY would be allowed to cut into it!

Quote Originally Posted by ljorange
    Quote Originally Posted by lisamortell
    Last year I learned to cake decorate and have had a lot of fun making cakes for my family and friends. I have to say I love quilting more because there is less pressure if you donít get it done you can just come back to it.
    If I could do that NOBODY would be allowed to cut into it!
    But the inside is better then the outside!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by annpryor
    I woodcarve, watercolor, knit, cochet, bead and too many more. If the pictures come through there is two of my bird woodcarvings and a painting.
    Love your woodcarving. You're very talented!

I used to have many different crafty hobbies. As I learned to live with my health issues, I have eliminated most of them. I love to read, do Bible Study, watch movies and cook with my family. I spend a lot of time helping my mom out. She is 82, almost completely blind, arthritic, diabetic, hearing impaired and lives on her own. I teach 2 Bible Study classes and take another one. So, that's more than enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by helbo
    I see it's been about a month since this was asked and topic
    closed. However, curiosity about others on this board is getting to me. In a few words (one word)? What is another hobby you do? I am a rubber stamper.
    However, full disclosure I am more of a rubber stamp collector.
    What about you?

xoxo
    Helen
    I became very interested in rubber stamping when I used to watch Carol Duvall. Thank goodness I didn't pursue it -- where would I store all the "stuff" that goes along with the hobby? And who was the sweet lady who got so excited about stamping with all those exciting colors. Was her name Dee?

I did get into scrapbooking and have no more room to store all of that "stuff." At least the pictures I've organized are ready to go into albums whenever I'm "ready." But quilting has taken over my life. When I have "free" time I always turn to quilting. It calms me down, whereas, scrapping excites me. I love decorating all of the pages before setting in the pictures.

fabric drawing and painting
    screen printing
    die-cutting
    applique
    stamping
    READING

Here's some more.
    I agree! Your work is gorgeous! The design in your first post and the welcome sign are my favorites! Thanks for the photos!

Quote Originally Posted by fidgety
    I play with my dogs, ride my Harley (when my back wasnt hurting that is). I aslo help my friend with her jewelry bussiness when I can. He is some of what we do..
    I love the jewelry, especially the ocpper (?) pendant. Does your friend have a website?

My first love is singing. I sing Gospel Music. My father passed away in Nov. and My mother(84) doesn't drive anymore but loves to play the Dulcimer, so I've taken up playing since I have to take her, I might as well join in. It's fun and gives me time with her, which is priceless.

Gardening painting crochet knitting
    Sewing clothes as well as quilting
    Just love creating

Gardening painting crochet knitting
    Sewing clothes as well as quilting
    Just love creating

hey...i too, am a stamper [well, collector] i do have some good ideas and intentions. everytime i check out the stampin up catalog...wow...new ideas that i know i'm going to do....glad to hear there is someone else out there with the same ideas...judi

Quote Originally Posted by Susan_Sews
    My first love is singing. I sing Gospel Music. My father passed away in Nov. and My mother(84) doesn't drive anymore but loves to play the Dulcimer, so I've taken up playing since I have to take her, I might as well join in. It's fun and gives me time with her, which is priceless.
    One of the last times I took my mother to doctor's before her death from Alzheimer's/kidney failure, I put in a cd of Andy Griffith's gospel music. Mother had not known who I was for over a year and was not able to hold a conversation. But when that music came on, she began singing the songs perfectly, remembering every word. I joined in and we sang our way across Houston's afternoon rush hour. I didn't care how long it took because it was such a blessed time. Six months later I lost both her and my husband within 9 days of each other. But I will always remember that blessed afternoon.
    Thank you to you and all the other gospel singers!

Garden and raise butterflies.

spring summer and fall i have my outdoor hobbies. which include my yard and flowers and my three gardens. then in winter i quilt and i love to read.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast