Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: share your other hobbies

I paint in oils, cook, cake decorating, fish and go out on the boat in weather that isn't too hot, here in Arizona.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    You gals are just so talented and busy - I loved reading all the posts. Great pets - rats!!!
    I like to nap most of all (have chronic anemia), read, then photography. Did crochet for 50 years and then carpal tunnel reared it's nasty head. I breed and raise dogs but I guess you really can't call that a hobby - it's more like 100% work! Did endurance and competitive riding up until a couple of years ago as we always had horses .......... Don't really garden because if the deer don't eat everything that I plant, the slugs, voles, bunnies and turkeys do. It took forever for me to smarten up and quit planting just to feed the wildlife ... no, fences don't work! Love my life --------- and it sounds like you all love yours, also!
    Suzi! Have you tried scraping (w/a potato peeler) Irish Spring soap on your plants? I do this about once a month or so and it keeps the deer and rabbits from eating my hosta. I use the bits of soap left over after bathing. Also, treat for slugs or they will make my hosta leaves "lacy".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Para722
    I love to read but now I put the books on my I Pod so I can sew at the same time.
    I would love to download books to my I Pod. Which supplier do you use? Could use some suggestions. Thank you.

Suzi! Have you tried scraping (w/a potato peeler) Irish Spring soap on your plants? I do this about once a month or so and it keeps the deer and rabbits from eating my hosta. I use the bits of soap left over after bathing. Also, treat for slugs or they will make my hosta leaves "lacy".[/quote]

Are you saying the irish spring soap keeps the slugs off your hosta, too? If so, I am definitely going to try that!

car classic shows (antique/muscle cars)
    Rooster mementos
    charity quilts
    family farm heritage

I love to cook and bake, and for my son's birthday last week, I decorated his birthday cake (a Thomas the Tank Engine cake). I also enjoy scrapbooking, but I find it's not as simple or economical as quilting. You have to buy the pictures, the paper, the embellishments, stickers, brads, books, etc. It can get really pricey just to make one good page.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
    Hmmmm Riding my Harley, and not on the back with my husband, I have my own!
    Woohoo! You go girl!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    I race pigeons :lol:
    How would one go about racing pigeons? What an interesting hobby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolLady
    Suzi! Have you tried scraping (w/a potato peeler) Irish Spring soap on your plants? I do this about once a month or so and it keeps the deer and rabbits from eating my hosta. I use the bits of soap left over after bathing. Also, treat for slugs or they will make my hosta leaves "lacy".
    Are you saying the irish spring soap keeps the slugs off your hosta, too? If so, I am definitely going to try that![/quote]

Sorry! The Irish Spring does NOT keep the slugs away. I have to buy slug stuff. If you need the name, I can go out to the garage and get it for you. It really works. Do it when the hosta is fully leafed and then maybe twice in the summer. (Wisconsin)

Reading.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchofclass2
    Are you saying the irish spring soap keeps the slugs off your hosta, too? If so, I am definitely going to try that!
    Sorry! The Irish Spring does NOT keep the slugs away. I have to buy slug stuff. If you need the name, I can go out to the garage and get it for you. It really works. Do it when the hosta is fully leafed and then maybe twice in the summer. (Wisconsin)[/quote]

ok thanks.

This has been an interesting read. Quilting is my favorite pastime but I also read, cross stitch,like to try new recipes,sew and do crafty things, and when I can be with them --LOVE, LOVE spending time with my granddaughters.

artwork in all its forms.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchofclass2
    Sorry! The Irish Spring does NOT keep the slugs away. I have to buy slug stuff. If you need the name, I can go out to the garage and get it for you. It really works. Do it when the hosta is fully leafed and then maybe twice in the summer. (Wisconsin)
    ok thanks.[/quote]

Ny dad used to cut the bottom two inches off a milk jug and put beer into it and lay it in the garden attracted the slugs and they drowned. He also rigged a milk jug bottom to a light outside and put in dishwater. The light attracted the bugs and they fell in and drowned in the soapy water.

I love to read, knit, and cross stitch....but quilting has taken the first place.

Walking the dog

Helen,

I too, am a rubber stamper, as well as a stained glass artisan, scrapbooker, crocheter and knitter. Too many hobbies, I sometimes think.

Woodcarving is a favorite of mine! Also gardening and, especially, maintaing several water gardens. However, we are cutting back on the latter. After several years we are weary of fighting with the raccoons and giant herons! They kill the fish and tip over the water lily pots etc. We have tried hot wires, netting etc - mostly to no avail. The lilies are gorgeous and we will keep a few and, also, my miniature water lily collection.

Quote Originally Posted by laynak
    Desktop publishing (newsletter editor) and photography. Just started back up with piano (played for our church service today as our music director position is now vacant). Exercise, reading and walking dogs are 'daily maintenance' hobbies. I've rotated hobbies throughout life; quilting has been #1 now for 5 years. Previous hobbies also included creative writing, oil & acrylic painting, and gardening. Never bored....
    Amen, feel most grateful to never be bored, ever.

I crochet and I love to read.

We have a wood shop and I make carved cedar signs and turn pens. I have told hubby if you can quilt, you can do wood working but I can't get him to try quilting. LOL

Counted cross stitch, colecting vintage sewing knick kacks, auctions, reading, listening to music.

Blog Entries
    I do family genealogy. It's addicting, too.

Blog Entries
    I do golf, embroidery, crafts and shop.

Blog Entries
    Antiquing, bird watching, taking photos of birds, flowers etc. Also, love my garden-both veggies and flowers-start many seeds indoors.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast