Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
She shed or addition? >

She shed or addition?

She shed or addition?

Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 AM

I would go with the addition on the house.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:29 AM

I vote for the addition to the house and it will be an asset rather than a liability to the house. Also a lot cheaper than falling down those stairs and breaking something on your body.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:04 PM

Because of prior illness, climbing stairs is difficult, yet I do it because my sewing area is on the second floor. We are, however, in the planning stages of moving my machine downstairs into our sun room. It's a small room and it will be tight. No storage so fabric will go in under-the-bed storage boxes. It will be nice to be able to throw in a load of wash or keep an eye on dinner while I sew. I think I'll get a lot more done. Now just to get the planning over and the move done!!
Old 10-21-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by RonieM View Post
You've given me a lot to think about. Our garage is not attached to the house - it sits off to one side and behind the house, so its not possible to connect the two.

I've thought about a dumb waiter, stair chairs, etc., but the way the garage was constructed, there just isn't room to put anything like that in. BTW - the stairs are inside the garage.

We have a very small house and the only room I could consider taking over would be the dining room. But that would be a fraction of the size of the room I am currently using and it wouldn't fit my long arm (or much of my sewing stuff period).

I'm thinking the addition might be the way to go, because I plan on spending another 20 or more years in that house. The fact that it would add value to the home is something to consider as well.
Never say never! I wanted a garage connected to the house and couldn't figure out where to put it. Finally I thought: why not put it in front of the house? The living room windows are on the south and east side, and the kitchen windows are on the north side, so west side (road side) windows were only bedrooms. That's where I put my garage, ten feet from the house, and love it.

Have someone else look over the placement of the house and garage. New eyes may figure out a way to connect the house and garage, downstairs or upstairs.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:10 PM

Hold on for a few months...or so. It could be you are just bored and looking for a project. Along the lines of "the grass is always greener". Let me remind you of your second sentence:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my space. It is awesome and has almost everything a person could want. I do like how I am isolated and that the space is totally MINE.

You live in the Finger Lakes area. So what's the big deal about going outside to get to your space? You go outside for any other thing you might want or need...how come no complaining about going outside to the grocery store, eh??? You tell us the stairs are steep but immediately go on to tell us that's not a problem. Unless you arms are full. How about having hubby fix you up with a pulley system to raise and lower a basket with the stuff you want to get upstairs? I'll bet he would love to work on a challenge like that and it sure as heck is a lot less expensive than what you are contemplating. So...think about it a little more before you make a decision. Good luck and please do let us know what you decide.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Power Poster

Could you figure out a way to put another set of covered stairs on the outside that would be less steep?
You might need to do something to the roof to be able to install a door.

If push comes to shove, you could have a camper type port-a-pot up there for emergencies.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:56 AM

Congrats on having a sewing room all to yourself! Well..as for changes, I would personally go for an additional building because it will increase the value of your home, someday! Maybe he can cut a door from the garage, directly into your new sewing house - so you don't have that horrible walking out in the weather kind of thing?!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:41 AM

Your next fall could keep you from sewing (and a whole lot more) if it were bad enough. Do you want to risk that? I agree with those who say build an addition. For added value, safety, shelter, and being close to the main living area. It might cost more in the short run, but in the long run I believe all the benefits would outweigh the risks, chiefly of slipping and/ or falling .
Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 AM

If this were me...addition, all the way. Maybe a shed for some extra storage to de-clutter the main room would be nice, but I want my main sewing space as part of the house.

I LIVE in my sewing room, and I think I would feel too isolated if it were completely separate from the house. DH's "man cave" is adjacent to my sewing room so we can still see & hear each other when we're in our own happy places. Plus the dogs...I don't let them IN my sewing room but they have beds right outside of it; in those beds they can usually see both me and DH. I think they'd be wanting to be let in and out constantly if it were a separate structure, going back and forth between me and DH.

I think my ideal sewing space would be a large loft space over the main part of the house. Very open so I can still be part of the household goings-on, but up high and with half walls so visitors can't see all my clutter.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:44 AM

We added on a "Sun Room" that I have claimed as a sewing room. I love it because I can come inside when I need to, but I can stop in the middle of something when I need to leave for a while. I vote for an addition.