Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signing Your Quilt On The Binding >

Signing Your Quilt On The Binding

Signing Your Quilt On The Binding

Old 08-30-2017, 01:16 PM

If you know who will get the quilt before you quilt it, put the label on the quilt before you quilt it. That is much harder to take off than a label.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:36 AM

This is what I do when I am not entering my quilt in a show. (If I am giving it to someone that I am not putting a personal label on).

I use the ABC's on my machine and print out my name, city and state, the year.

Don't know why I can't attach photos anymore....

The photo was supposed to show you the binding with the above information stitched on to the back side of the binding. I put a very narrow fusible stabilizer on the binding so the stitching of the lettering does not pucker the binding.

Last edited by Ellen 1; 08-31-2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: photo upload failed. Tried to reattach.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:49 AM

Ok I think this is going to load. The plum fabric is the backing.
Attached Thumbnails img_2811.jpg  
Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
It would be fun to print some fabric up that would be used just for the signature on your quilts. I wonder how little of fabric you could print at Spoonflower.

~ C
You can print as little as a fat quarter.

I know a quilt designer whose favorite color is orange. Her name is Sam Hunter and she found some orange Cat In The Hat fabric that says "Sam I am". Perfect for labels!! She sews a piece of it on the back of every quilt. I looked and looked for a picture but couldn't find one.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:45 PM

I've both written and embroidered my "label" on the binding when it's a quilt that doesn't need more than a "to.... and my name and date.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:06 AM

Great idea. I definitely will look into this method.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:51 AM

Hmm. I've never heard of this but it's an intriguing idea.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:06 PM

I have done this on some of my less personal gifts. I worry about the wear. The binding takes alot of wear and I wonder if it will last as long as a standard label
Old 09-01-2017, 01:30 PM

This is my usual way of making the label for a baby or wedding quilt. I make the binding as usual. I then iron on a piece of fusible interfacing to the area I am going to write on. Strangely, I prefer my Janome monogram program to my Pfaff. The letters just seem to be crisper. I program the letters into the machine, make sure they will be right side up when the binding has been applied and sewn down (ask me how I know to do this :O ) and away we go.

For a baby quilt I will write the full name of the child, the birth date and 'made especially for you by...'. On one wedding quilt I got really creative. Besides the bride's and groom's full names and the wedding date, I monogrammed a saying that they had in their invitation. Then I went searching for other short quotations about love and marriage. I ended up putting two quotations on each side. BTW I monogram the part of the binding that covers the bottom of the quilt.

It takes a little practice but I think it is a really nice personal touch.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:35 PM

"Photo upload failed" usually means your photo is too large (I think qulitingboard has a limit of 1.2 mb per photo or something close to that.)

You can change the settings on your camera to take a smaller photo or you can use a photo program to "resize" your photo. One of the easiest one is Paint, and is included under programs in Windows software. I'm on Windows 8.1, and it's under Windows Accessories. Just open the program, the open your photo, then click "select all", then resize. I usually resize to 50% and then save.

bkay