Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Single straight stitch machine >

Single straight stitch machine

Single straight stitch machine

Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
Mine is a Baby Lock Jane that I bought to put on a frame and also got a stitch regulator for it.
That is the only reason to buy a strait stitch machine.
It is very premative with treading, too complicated for me and I dont like the under the machine bobbin I prefer a drop in.
I have a computerized Viking for the rest of my quilting and love it.
My first machine was a Brother quilting machine that only cost $129 and it came with a walking foot and extension table, so you can get a basic quilting machine at a low cost. I still use it when my Viking is in for servicing. Its a great back up machine.
I don't have a frame for my Jane, and use it all the time for piecing, for sewing jeans, I just made all my sewing machine covers on it (serger, Ellegante embroidery, the Jane, and my Cricut (awesome for applique fabric cutting). I had yards of light blue quilted fabric that I placed my lime green Kona solid fabric on and sewed over the quilted lines to make the quilted covers. That was after I embroidered sewing sayings and designs on one panel for the fronts of the machines. I have made bibs with the Jane, potholders, and a set of curtains for my cutting/ironing room. I have repaired blouses, scarves, and a coat using the Jane. My goal is to one day use the Jane on a small quilting frame, but right now, I use it all the time when my embroidery machine is going, and when it is not. The Jane has a walking foot, several other feet, and I got an adapter to put on it so I can use the straight stitch feet that I use on the Ellegante. I was used to the bobbin placement as all my other machines had this. I know one can do this all with other less costly machines, but I love the Babylocks.