Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So upset over a border! :( >

So upset over a border! :(

So upset over a border! :(

Old 03-11-2013, 03:59 AM

I also fret over things like that but here is what I have found: Lay it down or have someone hold it up and then stand back and look at it. Most people look at it and see that. Only people who sew look at it with a critical eye. If you don't notice it much by standing back it probably isn't a big deal. I think it looks nice and I would chalk that up to "Next time I will know better" and let it go. I know how you feel but don't be so hard on yourself.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 AM

I'd cut out squares of your pretty print fabric border and set them on point with the sashing fabric surrounding them.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 AM

I have that material in my stash. Send me a PM and I will mail it to you. Would that help? Glad you posted the picture.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:44 AM

I think you should take WMD926 up o her offer to send you her fabric from her stash. It appears that you are troubled by the obviously wonky border-I know I would be. However, If you accept the substitute fabric and redo it be mindful of the grain of the fabric. I assume the borders are cut on the crosswise direction. Can you cut them on the lengthwise grain? If you try to re-cut what you have according to the pattern you will totally lose the impact of the pattern and you will have a really tough time with the binding. You might also talk to your friend about it. You would not want to just let it go and have her be offended and put strain on your friendship. I'm sure she wil understand your concern.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 AM

Definitely take WMD926 up on her offer. Quilters on this board are so generous. You will not regret fixing it. I am with you it would drive me crazy.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I know what you mean. It would bother me, so I would have to recut it along the lines of the print. You probably don't want to spend any more money, but you could add a 3" solid color outer border.
My suggestion, too. I'd do it even if I did have to pay for it because I couldn't stand to leave it in a way that bothered me....as it clearly does you.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 AM

Leave it ... It really goes with the other blocks that are "off" because it's a "scrappy" type quilt. It adds character to the quilt and she will love it... Use a meandering quilting pattern and it will hide a lot of mistakes.

I had a quilt that NONE of the points matched (basic 4 patch) that one of my girl scouts pieced to the best of her ability... we did a crazy patch quilting and it was adorable....
Old 03-11-2013, 05:27 AM

Well, I agree.....that would drive me crazy. But since buying more fabric is not easy and you don't have a substitute.....do you have enough of the other border (is that black?) to make a pieced border out of this? If you cut it at every junction of the "squares" and piece it -- in a kind of wide piano key -- with the black or a color in the quilt, would that work?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I agree with asking the mom what she thinks. If it bothers her you can look for a solution. If she's okay with it then you are nearly done!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 AM

This quilt is really lovely. Sometimes we get so close to our work that every problem looms very large. A regular stripe would be extremely noticeable but this type hides the wonkiness. I agree with others, just leave it the way it is now.