Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So upset over a border! :( >

So upset over a border! :(

So upset over a border! :(

Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 AM

Consider getting it straight to the pattern and putting 2 strips of a co ordinating blue on each side to make up the difference, or one strip along the outer edge.
Pat
Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Breathe deeply and step away from the project.. LOL Have you thought about scalloping the border ?? JUST a suggestion ... Thanks for sharing
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I know what you mean. It would bother me, so I would have to recut it along the lines of the print. You probably don't want to spend any more money, but you could add a 3" solid color outer border.
This is probably the way to go. Even tho the little one you're sewing this for is only 9, she may find her quilt inspiring and who knows, become a quilter some day! You don't want to give her anything but an example of the best you can do.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:43 AM

Sorry this upsets you. I'm a fan of wonkey and I think you have given this girl just one more interesting discovery re this quilt. If you can't accept that, ask the friend whose child this is for. Ask her what she'd like you to do. I think the fact that it doesn't "match" is OK, and could be especially interesting for the child. I doubt if she is the quilt police!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 AM

The bright colors in your quilt are great and I think once it is all quilted, the wonky border won't be noticed at all. Ask the mother what she wants and go with it. But, definitely do not stress yourself over it.....just not worth it.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 AM

i have a similar issue with a printed flannel that i used to make a Split Rail. i left it, once it is quilted it isn't as obvious and i made it for practicality. Why don't you ask the Mom what she wants done? it isn't your fault that print isn't straight of grain. Perhaps she'll opt to leave it, perhaps she'll opt to replace it, either way it is her responsibility not yours. your are the instrument of the craft, she is the source of the supplies.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM

Even though re cutting would result in a narrower border that's what I would do rather than put on a wonky border. You will be much happier in the end. Every time you see or even think about that, that's all you are going to see - the crooked border. To keep your peace of mind -as they say, just fix it. IMHO!

Last edited by callen; 03-11-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure what I would do in this instance. Could you re-cut the fabric with 1/2" or so,then use a 2" narrower border. It is so frustrating when they don't print the fabric straight. Sleeping on it you might come up with another solution, as it is really bothering you,although it might not bother the 9". Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 AM

I would talk it over with my friend, and hopefully she will provide the answer (or fabric) you need. If it were me, I would wait until I could get another fabric that would work, even if it takes forever to get to a fabric store, because if I were fretting over it now, I would forever be fretting over it!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM

All good suggestions. What I noticed is that the fabrics in the quilt itself are wonky geo prints, so the wonkiness is not inappropriate at all. I would show it to the mom, myself, and see if it bothers her. Maybe don't mention the problem at first and see if she even notices. The little girl will probably love it, no matter what, but you can console yourself that the whole design is a modern abstraction that does not require perfect alignment. "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds," Ralph Waldo Emerson.
"We are our own worst enemy when we torture ourselves with perfectionism" - me.