Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: So upset over a border! :(

In the barn when possible otherwise sewing.

So upset over a border! :(

A friend had me pick out some fabric colors that were her daughter's favorite colors to make a quilt for her upcoming birthday. (she did pay me for the fabric) When it came to picking the fabric for the border, I didn't have a bunch of options and picked one that I thought would work...never considering that it had lines in it.

So, today after using the border calculator to see how big I could get the border, I settled on a nice 5 inch border for size. It never occured to me that the pattern itself wouldn't square when I squared the fabric before cutting. So cut away I did. I cut all the strips of 5 1/2 inches and sewed them together.

That's when I notice the pattern lines are not straight with my cuts. There is only ONE way to fix this that I can think of. The pattern has blocks of 2 inches. I could go and cut the fabric to follow the lines of the block and lose 3 1/2 inches of border all the way around. But at least the pattern would look straight and follow my sewing line. OR I can just leave it. It's being made for a 9 yr old little girl. How much will she notice a wonky pattern?

Hubby says to leave it and not stress over it as my friend isn't paying me to make it....but I feel like if I leave it then it isn't the best that I could do...and it's not perfect. (not that any of my quilts have been perfect.) This is only my 4th lap size quilt that I've ever made. (I did make two TINY baby blankets, but not sure if they count.)

What should I do? Just leave it as is? At least it would have a nice size and proportionate border...or cut it down to 2 inches (which would be be down to 1 1/2 after seams allowance). (And the lattice is a full two inches in width.)

No chance of buying more fabric as I took what was left on the bolt.

I'm stumped and developing a headache from worrying about it.
    Last edited by quiltingnd; 03-09-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Maybe put plain cornerstones on where the two come together. That would solve the problem. I don't know your design that you are making, but it could be a solution and a simple fix.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 03-09-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

It's not off at just the corners. It's crooked along the seam line where the lattice and border meet. So..the line/pattern instead of going straight along the seam line vears off.

Try drawing a straight line on the right side of a piece of paper and then suddenly start drifting to the left. So at the bottom of the paper, the line is to the right and at the top of the paper, the line is half-way across the paper close to the left side.

That's what it looks like. Ugh..not very good at explaining. I could take a pic I guess.
    Last edited by quiltingnd; 03-09-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. It would bother me, so I would have to recut it along the lines of the print. You probably don't want to spend any more money, but you could add a 3" solid color outer border.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I say leave it. dont fret. the little girl will love that you made her something and not worry about it. I don't fret over those things. Unless it is soooooooo glaringly obvious. think of it as a conversation piece about the quilt.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Blog Entries
    since she paid for the fabric, i'd try to get it cut straight and work it out that way. good luck.

Power Poster
    Stripe or directional fabric is seldom on the straight of grain. If I could trim the border narrower but have the stripe running straight that is what I would do.

Blog Entries
    This one is a problem. My particular self says don't use it, but then I've seen $300 dresses with the same problem. Fabric is usually not printed straight. If the color is what you want, then I'd leave it.

Here it is. I am just making myself sick over this. I live in the middle of nowhere so going and picking up more fabric isn't an option. (70 miles from the nearest town) I REALLY don't want to lose my 5 inch border. But I don't have any other fabric to use in it's place (or even in conjunction with).

Well...I folded it up..and will sleep on it. I just wish it had occured to me that the pattern wouldn't run straight and I would have avoided all of this mess.

Can't you just cut the boarder fabric so the pattern is straight, even though the material won't be on the straight of grain. Yes it might stretch some and yes you will lose a bit of boarder width but this might be a compromise solution. Good luck in your endevor.

The most that I can salvage from my 5 1/2 inch strips (because of the way it's cut) is 2 inches (or one block in the pattern). The pattern isn't straight and goes off the strips that I pieced together to make the borders.

The picture doesn't capture fully how far it's off. I might have enough left over black fabric for a 2 in border if I cut the blue border fabric down and still have enough black fabric for the binding.

Leave it, when it is quilted and bound it be just fine. The little girl will love it.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Why don't you ask your friend? If you are like me, you would hate to give less than your best, but to me it is something barely noticeable. Since your friend bought the fabric, let her decide if they can live with it our not. Hope it turns out ok!

Thank you for everyone's opinions. I am going to sleep on it and see what it comes to me overnight.

Blog Entries
    I have the same fabric in the red and it has the same problem. So far I've only used in smaller pieces like a Spicy Spiral runner so it's not noticeable.

Power Poster
    Are you set on a solid piece of fabric for the border? If can you cut the stripe fabric into blocks and offset the blocks kind of like bricks with the black fabric to move them in and out? Kind of like a zipper effect?

Tartan has a good idea!

Would it work if you straighten the border according to the print... trim off what you need to, then sew that to the border lining things up again? You'd have a seam in the middle of your border, but it would be straight.

Like you, things like this take up all my mind space still it's resolved. Let us know what you end up doing.

Do what ever will give you "peace" about it.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I agree with nygal. Do whatever will make you feel good about your quilt. So much work, you want to feel happy with the end result.

Blog Entries
    I would take off the solid border and the lined border. Sew the solid border to the lined border keeping the line straight. Then sew both border back on the quilt at the same time. Be sure you watch the binding so it stays on the straight line of the border. I won't be hard to do just take a little time. You can add squares of patched fabric as cornerstones at each corner.
    Got fabric?

I took it off, and tried to cut along the "lines" of the fabric so that it "looked" straight. But once cut, the fabric wasn't straight at all. Think I will put it on as is.

if u dont cut it down so it looks straight u will always fret about it. Better to lose a little border and be happy with your finished product!

Blog Entries
    I went back and looked at the picture. I would leave it. I'd rather have a crooked line than off grain. If the blue is as pretty in person as the red, the color will make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    I went back and looked at the picture. I would leave it. I'd rather have a crooked line than off grain. If the blue is as pretty in person as the red, the color will make up for it.
    It's VERY pretty which is why I've been hesitant to cut it down. But I ripped the seams and took it off and took a small piece of it and tried to straighten it along the pattern but it really didn't look straight at all when I laid it out against the the lattice. So I'm going to leave it. I'd rather have it a bit wonky..then to cut it down only to find it won't work, and then I'm out of this gorgeous piece of fabric.

Would it be possible to slice it up into squares or rectangles, put a tiny piece of black between the pieces and do it over and over again? It would break up the "line" and not be so noticeable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast