Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So, what is the "legal" definition of a quilt?? >

So, what is the "legal" definition of a quilt??

So, what is the "legal" definition of a quilt??

Old 08-23-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Sounds like a quilt to me. I agree they don't know what they are talking about. Why can people just keep their piehole shut if they don't have anything nice to say
I'll tell you why... it's like mhy Mother used to always say "If they can't run it, they have to ruin it". Some people are just clods!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
You could have responded, "Somebody wore their cranky panties today!"

Jan in VA
LOL. Good one Jan! I know a couple people I would like to say that too!

And to Oldquilter.......sounds like quilts to me!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:36 PM

that person must have a very rigid sense of what a quilt is. Ignore it. I find people who make comments like that usually aren't quilters
Old 08-23-2012, 12:53 PM

Even Webster's definition grossly is outdated. The industry definition is the one Scissor Queen gave: Three layers held together by stitching. No mention of beds...or cloth or thread or batting for that matter.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

are definitions 'legal & illegal'?
never thought about a definitions---legality

my webster's dictionary states:
quilt;1. a bedcover made by stitching together two layers of cloth with a soft padding between them 2. Any bedcover, esp. if thick. 3. a quilted skirt or other quilted article-v.t. 1 To stitch together two pieces of material with a soft substance between. 2 To stitch in ornamental patterns or crossing lines. - v.i. 3. To make a quilt of quilted work.

it says nothing about not being able to use flannel- or any other fabric you like---i've seen a couple pretty sweet fleece quilts---they were quilts because they had a batting and a backing & were stitched together.
it also does not say a tied quilt is not a quilt---since in all actuality you are making a stitch at each tie.
so, maybe the (critic) should check her dictionary before becoming indignant.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:24 PM

There is no 'legal' definition. However, if it were only 2 sheets of fabric with filler, I would call it a blanket.

If you've sewn together different fabrics, doesn't matter whether it's tied or not, it is still a quilt. The person who posted is foolishly stuck in a rut. There are thousands of beautiful quilts made out of fibers that are not cotton including silk.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:08 PM

In the last decade I've had the privilege of seeing some amazing trunk shows from quilt curators, appraisers and similar level of professionals with decades of higher education on quilts and all the components thereto. When we saw old-old-old quilts batted or stuffed with handmade cloth rugs, newspaper and hair (yes, HAIR!!!!), not a one told us they weren't quilts. When they showed cathedral window quilts (no batting), not a one told us they weren't quilts.

I have a t-shirt that says, "Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?"
Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM

Wish there was a "LIKE" button ..... I agree with so many of these comments .... you all have good comments!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
There is no 'legal' definition. However, if it were only 2 sheets of fabric with filler, I would call it a blanket.

If you've sewn together different fabrics, doesn't matter whether it's tied or not, it is still a quilt. The person who posted is foolishly stuck in a rut. There are thousands of beautiful quilts made out of fibers that are not cotton including silk.
The person, who posted, was told that by someone else.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:34 PM

I love to see them tell my grandma that she did not quilt when her quilts were of wool, double knit, linen. She re-cycled a long time ago any fabic that she could get her needle through. I think any fabrics and fastening goes to make quilts.