Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Somethin' for Nothin' and your Quilts for free...

I agree, that many people want to take advantage of your skill. Everyone is looking for a deal, my husband is Htg/Air conditioning teacher, many times someone asks him to come look at there a/c, he fixes it and they'll ask what do I owe you, he says whatever you think its worth, they hand him a $20 which doesn't even pay him gas for him to get there. Taking advantage of someone with a kind heart.
    I usually give people a good deal on a quilt if they are my friends. But my husband has his brothers neighbor, people he doesn't know, and once this happens, they expect him to keep their furnace going for 10 plus years.
    Moral of the story, up front say $250 plus cost of materials... (that is what I estimated for a t shirt quilt, start to finish)
    kind heart is great, but it doesn't pay the electric bill.
    Enjoy The Art!
    Sue ~Only Adding to the beauty you have already created~
    http://suezquilts.com/ http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sue...45597315486041

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    Before I do a quilt for anyone I explain how much fabric and batting costs nowadays. I find that people that don't sew think it's cheaper to make things than to buy it from the store and they still think that fabric is $2.00 a yard. I took my friend to the store with me and let her pick out and pay for her own fabrics and then she realized that things don't come cheap! I also let them know that I'm not a factory and making a quilt takes precious time. By the time I finish all of that, they are either glad to pay me or decide that they really didn't want anything so expensive after all. That saves a lot of hard feelings for me in the end.
    This has been what I've learned to do also over the years. I've even offered to help people learn how to do it on their own but after a trip to the fabric store they change their mind

I enjoyed virtualbernie's reply as well as others "take them shopping."
    But don't forget to add in the cart quilting notions, pins, needles, cutting mats, rulers, cutting implements, starch, threads batting like you were just making a quilt for the first time. Hey you had to prepay for all that too. Let alone all the machines you may use. Add up all that stuff they forget about too. Then when they get shocked, and snotty tell them your not even asking for payment of education! Not to say the sewing time. See what happens then. If you use a LQS ask them if they mind you setting up a basket of notions like mentioned and add them up. Explain why and you would even be willing to put them away afterward too.

May even be a good idea for LQS to have a pre set basket on display for gift giving ideas
    I also have an embroidery machine people think you push a button so I set up a time for them to come sit a spell while I do something simple like putting on a name or worse yet digitizing the logo. Why do they think you shouldn't get the 75.00 logo charge. . I seldom get asked
    I prefer to do what I want, not what I have to do. Much more fun that way.
    dawn227
    Rochester NY

Blog Entries

Old, ugly quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
    "A close friend"???????? IMHO, That seems either ignorant or very mean....to me anyway. I'm sorry that happened to you....must have really hurt.
    Yes, it did hurt, but what really made it laughable was to see a handmade quilt on the gift table at the reception! It was lap sized and a preprinted panel fabric, which is fine, but IMHO, not the level of quilt that I had shown her. So the wedding couple received an "old, ugly quilt" anyway. It was probably mean of me to think it funny, and I never mentioned it to the mother. After that experience, when I showed the friend another quilt, I mentioned how much it cost from initial fabric to the cost of having it quilted. Her eyes popped! So, sometimes it's better to wait and educate folks than ask for an apology. It did hurt, though, and I have stopped sharing my quilts that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Caryn View Post
    i love to quilt and do it as a hobby...they tend to accumulate around the house, so some i gift to others. and most, i take to a art craft mall and sell them...and i charge for them too...i dont make quilts to order for anyone...i figure if they like what i have made then they can pay for it...i do negotiate terms though and will discount the price if someoe has something in fair trade. after adding the costs of materials to make a quilt, i measure the quilt length and width and figure up the square inch...then i charge anywhere from 3 cents to 10 cents per square inch... our quilts are original pieces of art...we rarely make two quilts just alike....we never know, but someday one of our quilts might be loved and cared for enough to hang in a museum somewhere.
    This is a great idea I have been trying to come up with some formula. Thank you for sharing this. I used it to compare to some I have sold and this is very close and much easier than the way I was doing it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabrichore View Post
    I find that I can never get the price I want for my things, labor is definitely not part of my pricing because I would never sell anything, it breaks my heart when people look at my things and say how lovely they are but they can go to walmart and buy it much cheaper, (are you kidding me) but I love to sew so I have learned to price them low and get my name out there.
    Kelley, you have a good heart. However, at some point, you may realize that the name you have out there is that of one others can (and will) take advantage of. If you do not value your services, others will not, either.
    Stephanie in Mena

My stock reply is no but I can teach you how to do this and help you make one if you are interested. Nobody ever takes me up on it.

I gave that black white and red purse to a charity over the weekend. It was stuffed with 350 bucks worth of wrapped items so they had to bid on it blind just knowing that the "stuff" was worth $350....thought that would be fun. One of the more affluent women in the group quit bidding at 200 and then came over to ask me if I would make her one just exactly like that. No but you can bid on that one!

I have a lot of people ask if my quilts are for sale or ask if I will make them one and my answer is no. They would have to get in line behind my ufo's and it is a very long line. Every now and then, I will make one to order, but very seldom. I made a small quilt for one of my patients, his wife had asked me to. He is 90 yrs old. It was a picture of the ship he served on in Canada. He actually was in the service in the USA and Canada, served in the navy for both!! Amazing. I had his wife sneak a picture of him on the boat. It was a such a surprise to him, he actually cried when I gave it to him. Made me cry. I did not charge him for it, I just wanted to do it for them. His wife came in a week later and gave me a thank-you card with $50 in it!!
    I had a woman tell me awhile back that I could make a lot of money on my wall rugs, even up to $40!! I smiled and thanked her for the compliment and shook my head when out of view. I love quilting and so far I don't need to sell them. So many people do not realize the time and money and skills that go in to them.

I have had similar experiences. I have made T-shirt quilts for some of the students from my children's high school. I have charged between $150 - $250 depending upon the size of the quilt. I have had several people decide not to do it when I tell them the cost. Most recently I explained to someone who asked that for a Twin size quilt it would take 6-7 yards of fabric for the back at $10/yard. Then there was the cost of batting, and thread for another $30 dollars. There would be additional fabric needed if borders or sashing was added. In addition I would need something for my time - designing/piecing/quilting. She said she would gather the shirts - but I am not holding my breath.

I was asked to make a quilt for a friend. I gave her the materials list and asked her to choose her color combinations at the LQS. She was astounded at the price and decided not to have me make the quilt even with free labor.

sewsecksy

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine Marie View Post
    Oh, man, I think I really did myself a disservice. Agreed to make 2 quilts for 2 little sisters.
    However, no discussion of payment (other than the cost of the materials) was mentioned.
    The materials cost more than $300. It took more than 35 hours of machine and hand work.

In all fairness, I'm not going to bring up any payment above and beyond the materials.
    I'm going to adopt a wait and see attitude.

But my question is: Who among you have experienced this and what happened to you?
    Yes I am just now finishing the second of two quilts which I have embroidered the middle and built a quilt around. I did have my friend purcharse all the materials and I have charged her $200.00 a piece to make and quilt them. And since she does know the value of time and talent.
    Johanna

Oh, I hope they paid for the material up front!...or you may be in for a rude surprise! Don't give the quilts till they pay for the fabric at least.

If this was a friend or coworker...and you don't have a regular quiltmaking business (even from home)...you may have just volunteered your services!

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine Marie View Post
    Oh, man, I think I really did myself a disservice. Agreed to make 2 quilts for 2 little sisters.
    However, no discussion of payment (other than the cost of the materials) was mentioned.
    The materials cost more than $300. It took more than 35 hours of machine and hand work.

In all fairness, I'm not going to bring up any payment above and beyond the materials.
    I'm going to adopt a wait and see attitude.

But my question is: Who among you have experienced this and what happened to you?
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Blog Entries
    Very Nice Peckish! GiGi

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    Since I don't make tops, this is a lot easier for me. I tell them to buy (or make) the top, the backing and the batting and I charge $150, $200, or $250 (depends on size) for the quilting. I also inform them that it will be a long time for hand-quilting. That's all I charge because I enjoy doing it. I figure if I can get paid to do my hobby, it's a good thing!
    You sound like my kind of quilter. I love to piece tops, but hate to quilt them. You don't by any chance live in the Kansas City, MO area, do you?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
    You sound like my kind of quilter. I love to piece tops, but hate to quilt them. You don't by any chance live in the Kansas City, MO area, do you?
    No, but the mail comes here every day except Sunday!
    Send me a PM if you want to

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Whenever someone asks me to make something for them, I always say, " We'll go to the fabric store and you can buy the fabric, the batting, and the backing. Then I'll make the quilt." Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they are put out and surprised that I expect them to pay for the materials. I don't mind giving my time because I love building the quilt. I also tell them the name of a long arm quilter to get it quilted.

Also those who do pay for the fabric, etc.. always say that they are very surprised at how much it all costs - they had no idea!
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...E1C3FD66FE.png

"All you need is faith and trust..... and a little bit of pixie dust" Tinkerbell

Sometime God calms the storm. Sometimes God lets the storm rage and calms His child.

I've had a couple of friends ask me to make a quilt for someone and have gone as far as to give them a list of supplies. I write down how much 100% cotton fabric, batting and even thread to purchase, and tell them when they get those together to let me know. I don't make enough to really have to figure out how much to charge for my time but if too many start asking for quilts that will also be discussed. There's a reason it's said to never "do business" with family and friends. It's because they think everything grows on a neat, nice, little tree in the backyard. LOL!!
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Blog Entries
    People ask me all the time to give them a quote for a quilt. I lay it all out fabric costs, pattern, batting, etc. I seldom hear back from them again. Oh well. I have enough projects to keep me busy that deal with someone that wants to get something like a hand made quilt for nothing.
    Peggy
    Keep on Quilting!
    http://www.beehivequilts.com
    http://www.beehivequilt.blogspot.com/

I sure have. Made a quilt for a friend(so called).Went with her to pick fabric out.She paid for that.Bit I ran out of the fabric.she kept changeing the size 1st full went all the way to a king.It took me over 80 hours to make.All I got for paymet was what she paid for the fabric.Which was 56$. I had to put another 33$ for extar fabric. so never paid any other maoney to me.I learned real fast. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!! I do everything up front now.

Blog Entries
    My daughter had a friend whose cousin wanted me to make a tee-shirt quilt from her daughter's high school and college tees. I went online to check out the styles (with and without sashing, cornerstones, etc.) and costs of these quilts done by commercial businesses. I sent a link to the woman so she could look at the various styles and prices, then get back to me about what she wanted done. The sites were charging $250-350 and I told her that as a courtesy, I would do it for a little less than the business charged. Never heard from her again!!! Perhaps we should all have sites to which we can refer potential customers to so they get a dose of reality before they expect us to make a quilt for $20.
    Create with joy in your heart!

Blog Entries
    to Quilter on the Eastern Edge: That's a great idea about saying "here is the name of my longarmer" because then you won't get stuck doing a free quilting job. It will save you lots of time (and money) it THEY have to give the top and the batting and backing to the longarmer. Good thinking!
    Create with joy in your heart!

A few years ago I was offered a half finished hexagon quilt along with the bits to finish it. The woman said she didn't want it as she had got bored with it. As I had had other half finished quilts offered to me in the past, ( and it wasn't particularly good looking) I decided I didn't want it either and sent it to a charity shop. A couple of years later the woman got in touch again and asked if the quilt had been finished. When I asked why she said she would like it back if it was so that she could give it to her daughter! I had a certain satisfaction in telling her where it had gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Chuckie2 View Post
    A few years ago I was offered a half finished hexagon quilt along with the bits to finish it. The woman said she didn't want it as she had got bored with it. As I had had other half finished quilts offered to me in the past, ( and it wasn't particularly good looking) I decided I didn't want it either and sent it to a charity shop. A couple of years later the woman got in touch again and asked if the quilt had been finished. When I asked why she said she would like it back if it was so that she could give it to her daughter! I had a certain satisfaction in telling her where it had gone.
    She what??? LMHO. Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    This comes up pretty regular on here and honestly it always confuses me. My family and friends all know I sew, quilt, whatever and none of them would ever expect me to provide my skills like this. nor would I expect anything like that from them.
    My grandaughter asked me to make a quilt for her friend. She is going to be the maid of honor in her up-comeing wedding. She is going with me to pick out and buy the fabric. It is a memory quilt so I told her that she would have to buy the printible fabric and give me something towards the ink. I won't charge her for my time but I do expect her to pay for the supplys.

I just tell them to buy the fabric, and the pattern, then I will make the quilt for them. So far I have not had to make one for them yet.
    Each day is a blessing, so do something you love each day.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast