Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Somethin' for Nothin' and your Quilts for free...

Aren't people amazing? A long time aquaintance was here for a visit a few years ago. I am a long-arm quilter and she asked what I charged to do the quilting. When I told her she replied, "Why would anyone pay that kind of money for something like that!!!" This was a woman that had just inherited close to a million dollars from her sister.
    And I've had a few customers gasp when I told them how much the quilting would be. One even took her quilt back and said "so and so will do it for $30 AND furnish the batting!" Gotta love 'em!(or not)
    I only make quilts as gifts so that I can avoid dealing with customers who "don't get" what it costs to make quilts. As the saying goes, "Do they argue with the plumber and electrician when they are presented with the bill?"

Quote Originally Posted by RST View Post
    I think that people sometimes assume that because you like quilting, and do it as a hobby (presumably) that they need not pay you for your time and skills. They also mostly likely underestimate how much time goes into a quilt. And faced with a $300+ total for two quilts, they are likely to think that is a lot of money for two "blankets", and never once think that really, for skilled custom quilt making, they should be doubling that figure.

So, take it as a lesson learned, and in future, if you want to do a quilt for pay, talk specific numbers from the get-go, and get it all in writing. If you don't mind occasionally doing a favor for appreciative recipients, then so be it -- take pictures of your work so you can enjoy them, and think happy thoughts about two little girls who have nice new quilts. And tell them that this is a one time thing just for them, otherwise all their friends will think they are doing you a favor by giving you that same kind of "business".
    RST
    I would add that besides keeping track of what you spend for materials, including thread and other items, you keep a log of the time you put into making the quilt - from cutting to completion - and take pictures as you go. Then they will see what all goes into making a quilt.

If you want to add more 'punch,' suggest they get the quilt appraised for insurance purposes.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Quote Originally Posted by RST View Post
    I think that people sometimes assume that because you like quilting, and do it as a hobby (presumably) that they need not pay you for your time and skills. They also mostly likely underestimate how much time goes into a quilt. And faced with a $300+ total for two quilts, they are likely to think that is a lot of money for two "blankets", and never once think that really, for skilled custom quilt making, they should be doubling that figure.

So, take it as a lesson learned, and in future, if you want to do a quilt for pay, talk specific numbers from the get-go, and get it all in writing. If you don't mind occasionally doing a favor for appreciative recipients, then so be it -- take pictures of your work so you can enjoy them, and think happy thoughts about two little girls who have nice new quilts. And tell them that this is a one time thing just for them, otherwise all their friends will think they are doing you a favor by giving you that same kind of "business".

RST
    I would add that besides keeping track of all materials you purchase for making the quilt, that you keep a log of all the time you spent in the making of the quilt. Take pictures as you go and label them. Give these to the clients and then, just to add more 'punch,' suggest they get the quilt appraised for insurance purposes.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

i love to quilt and do it as a hobby...they tend to accumulate around the house, so some i gift to others. and most, i take to a art craft mall and sell them...and i charge for them too...i dont make quilts to order for anyone...i figure if they like what i have made then they can pay for it...i do negotiate terms though and will discount the price if someoe has something in fair trade. after adding the costs of materials to make a quilt, i measure the quilt length and width and figure up the square inch...then i charge anywhere from 3 cents to 10 cents per square inch... our quilts are original pieces of art...we rarely make two quilts just alike....we never know, but someday one of our quilts might be loved and cared for enough to hang in a museum somewhere.

Nancy, great idea! I will use it.
    Lorraine
    I love hand quilting, gives me peace.

Blog Entries
    I never offer to make a quilt for anyone unless I want to give them a gift of a quilt I made. I make quilts for children's hospital and nursing homes. That's the extent of my making quilts for anyone. When someone asks me what I would charge to make a quilt I say Nothing, because I don't quilt for anyone but me.
    Got fabric?

my son asked me last week to make a full size and twin size bunkbed size quilts for his girlfriend's daughter...because, if she has to buy them from the store...it would cost her $150.
    I'm not making her 2 quilts...you and I know how much it would cost me...and I wouldn't be paid for them.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    If you adopt a wait & see attitude I fear that is what you'll be left doing"waiting & seeing nothing". Why are we all so afraid to give people a price for our hard work and artistic skills. I can hear a lot of you saying Oh! I don't have artistic skills, but you do. You are quilters - not everyone does it and a lot would say "can't be bothered". If someone asks you to make a quilt tell them up front. If they choose not to go ahead just go back to your own work. They will be the losers.
    The stress of wondering what to say is not worth it.

Blog Entries
    When someone asks, I smile and say sure, lets' go pick out the fabric! It is always way more money than they expect! So I happily make most of my quilts for charity. I love to process and know they will be used and loved. I make cuddle under quilts, not always perfect but the very best I can do
    Patski
    always learning

I won't start on a quilt unless I have monies in hand.
    Anna Quilts

Just remember you can say "no". Practice this

Seriously this comes up so often on this board. Its great that quilters are so generous but too often we end up in a bind like this.

My rule is I don't so for anyone unless I offer. Then they usually are expected to pay materials and I make sure to be specific about this before starting.

Waiting and seeing will end up with a lot of waiting and not much seeing.

Sorry this happened to you.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    Before I do a quilt for anyone I explain how much fabric and batting costs nowadays. I find that people that don't sew think it's cheaper to make things than to buy it from the store and they still think that fabric is $2.00 a yard. I took my friend to the store with me and let her pick out and pay for her own fabrics and then she realized that things don't come cheap! I also let them know that I'm not a factory and making a quilt takes precious time. By the time I finish all of that, they are either glad to pay me or decide that they really didn't want anything so expensive after all. That saves a lot of hard feelings for me in the end.
    Bernie, that is a wonderful way to handle the situation. I will remember that. Since I decided this would be my year to make what I wanted, it is going to be easy for me to say "maybe next year dear."
    Kitsy

I think that most people think they are going to get a bargain if they have someone make something rather than by ready-made at a store. And, I also think most people do not have a clue what fabric/notions cost!!! I imagine in this case you have a good reason for not pressing for pmt for you time but I sure would (in the future) explain that in addition to the cost of the materials that you will need to be paid X amt for your time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    suggest they get the quilt appraised for insurance purposes.
    My wonderful husband did this for me. I made a quilt for my MIL and gave the top to her for Christmas (I wanted her to choose the quilting pattern). She said thank you, but seemed underwhelmed. My husband (her son) stepped in and told her she needed to call her insurance company and have it insured for $7000. Her mouth dropped open and she asked why? He replied in great detail, telling her how much time I had spent making it, and he turned the top over and showed her each and every seam, and told her that I had put every single stitch in it. This quilt was a monster at 120" x 120", with over 9000 pieces. She finally understood and was so overwhelmed that she started crying.

Making my MIL cry - priceless! tee hee hee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post

Making my MIL cry - priceless! tee hee hee

Bad girl, bad girl! (tee hee hee)
    Bernie

i have done 3 quilts for my sisters , i let them pick and buy out the material and backing if i needed a certain color thread that i dont have i tell them to purchase it also , that is all they have to pay, they are my sisters so i dont charge them but they get it when i am done (no deadline on finishing it)and it is for them not anyone else !!! they love there quilts and cherish them

My SIL never realized when I gave him a specially made quilt a few years ago that it was worth money. When he divorced my daughter he gave her the quilt, which she returned to me to sell since he had never used it and thought of it as "nothing." Since it was a hand made Seattle Seahawks lap quilt, I auctioned it off and got $350.00 plus postage to mail it to the buyer. He was surprised when I sent my daughter the check. Oh well.

I do like Virtualbernie. I give them a price quote for my labor based on the quilt pattern they think they want and explain the price may change if they decide they want a different pattern. Next I give them a list of everything they will need to purchase for the quilt and let them know I will go to the LQS with them if they would like for me to do so. This lets everyone know in advance what to expect as far a cost and also weeds out those that are expecting to either get a free quilt or pay $25 for one.

I also let my family and friends know that I may be retired but this is my new job and that I do not work for free. LOL
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    I say yes when I want to make a quilt for someone and put them on my list accordingly. People who I don't know to well I tell them they can go to the bottom of my list and wait when I really don't want to make them a quilt. My list is very long and my granddaughters and daughters have the option of always going to the top of the list. I also have the option of putting anyone I like on the top including myself. So for those on the bottom they have to just keep waiting.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I'm running into the same sort of problem right now. I have been trying to make so extra money to help foot the bill for all the quilts that I've been making for the soldiers. Last year I spent well over $5,000. just in materials. I'm not complaining it was something I wanted to do but in order to keep this going I was going to make a quilt to raffle off and use the money I get from it to buy more fabric for that cause. Well in talking with a lady that is involved with helping me distribute some of the quilts to the hospital, I some how ended up agreeing to making about 6 quilts. One to raffle off and the others will be given to the soldiers at the VA hospital. So I'm feel like I'm stuck footing the bill again without even knowing if I can get enough out of the raffling of one to pay for the fabrics.

Now she did bring me some scrap materials that she had picked up from who knows where and a lot of it I can't use because it really stained. Looks like it had gotten wet some where and bled on each other. First of all, I have never done a scrappy quilt, I just don't know where to start. I guess I'll have to learn huh! After washing most every thing she brought me by hand (because the pieces are to small for normal washing, I find that most of the pieces are not fit to be used. So I guess I'm back to square one, using my own fabrics and NEVER asking anyone for help in keeping me going on this. I figure if I can't afford to do it, then it's time to stop. So heart breaking since I really enjoy doing it.

Anyway, be thankful that she at least pays for the fabrics but I agree with every ones else, they have NO IDEA what it cost or the time it takes to make them. It's hard to tell family members NO but I'm learning that some times you have to whether it's family or not.

I don't mind spending the time or effort on a quilt..because that is what I like to do..but when someone wants a quilt, I tell them sure, get me the fabric and we'll see what we come up with...and I leave it at that..if they come to me with the fabric great but if not I guessed they saw just how expensive fabric can be and changed their minds...works for me and I don't spend any monies on fabric...
    Kitty

I agree with Carreen, very will put.
    Dee

Today is the day the Lord has made..Let us be glad and rejoice in it!!

About a year ago, a young man I knew from church started talking to me about making him a quilt for his upcoming wedding. I told him I would be glad to do it if he furnished the fabric, but that I would charge him for the labor. He then said he had some clothing that he would like me to use for the quilt. I then told him there would be extra charge for cutting up the clothes. I quoted him $350-$400 for a complete quilt, no matter what fabric was used. He finally got the message and I haven't heard from him again.

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    I was showing a close friend a quilt .... She replied, "Oh, that's better than an old, ugly quilt,

This is what a "close friend" said???? Ask for an apology!

OTOH you occasionally get a really good customer. I once was asked to make a Tumbling Blocks quilt from a picture in a book, of a vintage quilt, all in solids. We figured there were about 30 different colors to buy. We gave the buyer a price for the quilt, and told him, you can get the fabric, or for an extra $200, we will get the fabric. (This was 25 years ago)He said go ahead.
    And when we delivered it, he paid in CASH from a big roll of bills!! Wish I had more customers like that!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast